REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 174 guests

First Powerlifting program

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Joe_MFIconFirst Powerlifting program02-06-2013 @ 19:22 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Hi all, this is my first post on here. Looking forward to discussing ideas and hopefully help others in the future.

I am starting powerlifting with the hope of lifting at a meet within a year, just for experience, and lift at regional meets.
I have a training program that I'd like to run by you guys to see what you think. I may also post some videos to discuss my form.

Training background:
I have been going to the gym for about 3 years, not really followed any serious programs, just a chest/back/arm weekly split for a while and not training legs or deadlift. (the biggest mistake ever as I now know)
Now I have started training seriously as I have access to equipment for squats and bench press. Been squatting,dl and benching seriously since this september.

Current stats: see profile

Now to the training program:
The days are as follows. (sets x reps)

Day1- squat (dynamic)-pause squats (3 second)5x4@60%, box squats 3x4@60%
Day2-dl (heavy) - heavy triples and doubles, lat pulldown 5x5, close grip pullup 2x5
Day3-off
Day4- bench (dynamic) - pause (3 second) bench 6x5 at 60%1RM, overhead press 65% 3x6
Day5-squat (heavy) - heavy 4x4 after 2 warmup sets, 2x5 hamstring curls
Day6-off
Day7-dl (dynamic) - 5x4 deficit dl's @60/70%, bent over rows 3x5, grip work
Day8-bench (heavy) - 80% @ 3x5, 85% @ 2x3, close grips 2x5
Day9-off
repeat from Day1.

I will increase the weight on my heavy days to keep making progress, maybe 2.5kg and try and get the reps for a few sets.

The purpose of this is to address weak points, namely at the bottom of the lift. By adding dynamic work that focuses on those parts, I am looking to improve the weak points and thus overall lifting stats.
The reason I havent combined days like dynamic squat and heavy dl is that after trying to combine, I found that my dl would not be my best lfits and i feel 'better' doing them on separate days. Obviously if you think it is better to combine you can suggest this with reasons.

-Do you think there are too many days in between the same lifts there?
I usually like to leave a few days between heavy squats and deadlifts, and also between the heavy and dynamic efforts.
-I followed this last week and improved my deadlift performance +5kg in the triples after doing the dynamic day, squats improved by 5kg for 1 set.
-Im aware that if my lifts are improving then it suggests that training/nutrition is working, but if there are better ways to train, please comment.
-I am interested in what you guys think will be the outcomes of this program - if you believe it isnt good, could you suggest adjustments to it?)

Thanks Happy
milsyIcon...02-06-2013 @ 19:32 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
that looks like a very well thought out program

but I am just going to give you my opinion seeing as you are quite new to powerlifitng I would spend a few months or so running a very simple program of squat/bench/deadlift in the same session and do this 3 times per week start the reps high and the wieght low increase it week by week and lower the reps as you grogress you should make some great progress on this and have plenty of time to dial in your technique on the lifts its boring but will build a solid foundation

the program you have written out there would be great for when you stall on the program I have suggest

like I said tho its only my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt theres far better lifters out there than me
unit94Icon...02-06-2013 @ 19:38 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Whilst I'm sure you will get stronger I think it's over complicated especially for someone that hasnt been strength training for that long, I think you should be doing heavy bench squat and deadlift all in the same week and instead of having a dynamic day just make every rep as fast as possible which will improve your speed. You could do the pause work after the main lift of the session so you could still work on your weak points, also some higher rep assistance work just to build some muscle and possibly help recovery. Having said all this there is more than one way to skin a cat and there are alot stronger and more experienced guys on here that may be better to listen to.
Joe_MFIcon...02-06-2013 @ 19:44 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
milsy said:that looks like a very well thought out program

but I am just going to give you my opinion seeing as you are quite new to powerlifitng I would spend a few months or so running a very simple program of squat/bench/deadlift in the same session and do this 3 times per week start the reps high and the wieght low increase it week by week and lower the reps as you grogress you should make some great progress on this and have plenty of time to dial in your technique on the lifts its boring but will build a solid foundation

the program you have written out there would be great for when you stall on the program I have suggest

like I said tho its only my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt theres far better lifters out there than me

Thanks, I spent a fair bit of time thinking it through! Sets and reps can change though depending on whats required.

Do you think that when the weights get heavy, 3 times a week would be too taxing on the cns? or provided there is 1~2 days rest would it be ok?
Joe_MFIcon...02-06-2013 @ 19:50 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
unit94 said:Whilst I'm sure you will get stronger I think it's over complicated especially for someone that hasnt been strength training for that long, I think you should be doing heavy bench squat and deadlift all in the same week and instead of having a dynamic day just make every rep as fast as possible which will improve your speed. You could do the pause work after the main lift of the session so you could still work on your weak points, also some higher rep assistance work just to build some muscle and possibly help recovery. Having said all this there is more than one way to skin a cat and there are alot stronger and more experienced guys on here that may be better to listen to.

Yeah, still in my first year of lifting for squats and deadlift. I had a program running which was pretty much a heavy day for each lift with assistance afterward, like you've suggested, and felt that it was good but stalled at 140kg squat, couldnt get out of the hole. Maybe if I go back to that now I will make progress again
unit94Icon...02-06-2013 @ 19:59 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Joe_MF said:
Yeah, still in my first year of lifting for squats and deadlift. I had a program running which was pretty much a heavy day for each lift with assistance afterward, like you've suggested, and felt that it was good but stalled at 140kg squat, couldnt get out of the hole. Maybe if I go back to that now I will make progress again

If you stall you're probably best off changing the rep range instead of jumping to another programme, doing pause work is a good idea though, have you been gaining weight cos that will really help your strength levels.
Joe_MFIcon...02-06-2013 @ 20:06 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
unit94 said:
If you stall you're probably best off changing the rep range instead of jumping to another programme, doing pause work is a good idea though, have you been gaining weight cos that will really help your strength levels.

Yeah definately want to keep the pause work, its just about where to incorporate it to get the most benefit from all the training sessions. Ive gained a little bit, didnt track my weight accurately at the start but have seen 3kg increase recently, and im eating a lot more so should see the scales moving up soon. Certainly my legs have increased in size a great deal
tonyRAWIcon...03-06-2013 @ 10:24 
Member 4417, 163 posts
SQ 200, BP 142.5, DL 262.5
605.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Where did you get that program from? That would suit an advanced lifter. You need to worry about getting stronger on a simple linear program like Starting Strength or 5x5 type program.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...03-06-2013 @ 11:15 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Tony and Mills speak the truth.
JackRevansIcon...03-06-2013 @ 11:36 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
it looks good but its pretty complicated for someone of your level. when I was deadlifting 170kg I could deadlift a 2.5kg pb every other week and on the alternate week I would go up to the current 1rm. now im not saying you should do that by any means but my point is that by training and improving in a very basic way I went from very weak to not that weak in a very short amount of time.
Joe_MFIcon...03-06-2013 @ 13:00 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
ok, the general consensus is that its too advanced for a beginner lifter, and so I will switch to a Starting Strength program and follow the progression rules on that.
It also seems like no-one has pointed out anything from the program posted, so when I come to use an advanced program, if my weak points are the same, I will probably use that.
cheers
FazcIcon...03-06-2013 @ 13:03 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Joe_MF said:It also seems like no-one has pointed out anything from the program posted, so when I come to use an advanced program, if my weak points are the same, I will probably use that.
cheers

You're not going to have weak points right now, you're not at a level where any particular thing is weak you're weak all over. So this is why doing the basic lifts works, because in a way it is working your weak points ... the lifts themselves.

Don't buy into all that hype just yet.
JackRevansIcon...03-06-2013 @ 13:21 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
the only people who have proper weak points are people who are already really strong and fat americans who only want to spend their time doing GHR
FazcIcon...03-06-2013 @ 13:31 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
And Max
MaxCooperIcon...03-06-2013 @ 13:54 
1000 post points - NAILED
Member 2026, 1344 posts
SQ 195, BP 152.5, DL 235
582.5 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
why is it people are still making these jokes... ive pretty much not done any of these things in a year

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions