REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 220 guests
You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts

View All Posts: Fazc

12345678910 ... ... 407408409410411412413414415416417

» front squat foot positioning (Go to post)22-01-2007 @ 00:27 
Hello again,

There's a field of study called Bio-Kinetics, it looks at the most efficient methods of movement for the body. For example if we were to throw a rugby ball, what would be the bodies most efficient path. It's known that the body will generally take it's strongets path to accomplish what its trying to do. The body's quite efficient like that, and doesn't like to waste energy on harder routes to the same goal.

This has some application to weight-lifting as well. As we look at weak point training. In this discussion, since assistance exercises like the Front Squat are designed with a specific goal in mind, that is to build up weak areas, it really makes little sense to use your strongest stance. Kinda defeats the purpose of it. Use a stance which forces you into a weaker position, then make that a stronger position. Then you would have improved your weak point.

This is what most good coaches/lifters have found out through experience, like Olly said.

Faz
» The things you miss on MT.... (Go to post)19-01-2007 @ 01:21 
Post Edited: 19.01.2007 @ 01:23 AM
Things I miss:

Newbie: I'd like some advice on blah, blah
Tokar: Well I think you should...
Fazc: Yes, and I think you shoud....
Newbie: But, I don't think thats right, i read Flex and it said Ronnie eats 8 hamburgers a day and only trains Calves on the Chinese New year.

Fazc: Glad I took the time to reply, you ignorant t**t.

The last bit, I generally skipped. But if you saw a similar conversation, you can be assured that's exactly what I was thinking.
» comp prep routine (Go to post)19-01-2007 @ 01:06 
Post Edited: 19.01.2007 @ 01:07 AM
The way I used to do it was to work backwards from the Meet date, and work out how far away I needed to make my last sessions before the big day. For example:

1) I know I need to squat a couple weeks before, and then a light session a week before.

2) I need to Bench heavy a week before, and do plenty of shoulder work a few days before

3) I need to Deadlift heavy 2-3 weeks before and take a break, and do some light work 10 or so days before.

That information pretty much sorted out my own build up.

Week 3

Normal week then...
Sunday Heavy Deadlift

Week 2

Monday - Squat Heavy
Tuesday - Bench work
Thursday - Shoulder work
Friday - LIght Deadlifts
Sunday - Light squat

Week 3

Monday - Bench work
Wednesday - Shoulder work
Sunday Meet day

The point here is to work things out based on what you know about your body. Instead of relying on some peaking routine which wasn't suited to me, I built this from my own training log and it was my best meet prep routine.

Faz

PS. I'd recommened looking at Bill Starr's Defying Gravity book. Very nice Meet-prep info.
» front squat foot positioning (Go to post)19-01-2007 @ 00:54 
Post Edited: 19.01.2007 @ 00:55 AM
I used to do them as heavy as I could manage, with the same foot stance as my back squats. Which is very wide. I was doing them for extra quad work to help my Squat.

Unfortunately, they didnt really help as much. I got much more quad stimulation from Leg Presses and consequently they were a much better assistance for my Squat.

Looking back, I suspect if I has performed the Front Squat with a narrower stance, it may have limited how much I lift, but would probably have benefited my Squat much more so.
» Ello, ello. (Go to post)19-01-2007 @ 00:51 
Yeah fairly easy Joni. There are a lot of jobs out here.

Thanks for the welcome back lads.
» Glute Activation (Go to post)19-01-2007 @ 00:50 
An ex=Oly coach I met in a Liverpool gym once told me, quite eloquently to "f**k the wall". What he meant was to thrust your hips forward to complete a lift.

The sight of an elderly and graying scouse gentleman, with a 60kg bar on his back, shouting "f**k the wall, f**k the wall" in a very thick scouse accent as he squats down and thrusts his hips in the air, was quite enough to make me remember that pointer for a long, long time.
» Post Your Routine (Go to post)19-01-2007 @ 00:45 
Something like this, if equipment allowed it:

Monday

Bench Press - 5 singles, followed by 5 x 5
Chins - 5 sets of 10
Incline Press supersetted with Kelso Shrugs - 5 sets of 10 each (if time and energy permits)

Tuesday (Only going heavy every other week)

Squat - Upto a heavy single
GMs - Upto a heavy single or triple
Leg Press - Upto a heavy 5
Abs - 5 sets of 10

Thursday

Overhead Press (Seated, ideally) - 5 singles, followed by 5 x 5
Row - 5 sets of 10
DB.Press supersetted with Kelso Shrugs - 5 sets of 10 each (if time and energy permits)

Friday

Olly's Deadlift routine

Been doing this, with little change for a couple years now. Just adding weight as I can, and subbing various exercises when i'm stale.

I'll usually take a week light every now and again. I used to be diligent about taking light weeks every 4th week, but take them by feel now.

Faz
» Operation 101 (Go to post)12-01-2007 @ 01:06 
Originally posted by Joni...
Operation G.F.H

Huzzah, that was the title of my last log!
» power belly fact or fiction? (Go to post)12-01-2007 @ 00:52 
Power belly is most certainly fact.

But, for us competing and wanting to get the best from a restricted weight class, it really isn't a luxury we can afford.

That extra weight is actually better placed elsewhere. Lost the flab and gain more muscle, you'll be stronger for it.

If weight isn't a concern, then power belly away. It really does help.
» The internet armchair warrior strikes again..... (Go to post)12-01-2007 @ 00:15 
Originally posted by mike_martin...
what the crap is all this about,why do you feel the need to show the world your squatting and deadlifting etc,your just dripping intellect and talent arent you,i mean its not as if your some kind of jon pall or mariusz pudz,and if your such a physical specimen then why are your vids in the dark AFRAID SOMEONE WILL RECOGNIES YOU,you sad c**t,get a hobby read a book a life would help YOU MASSIVE t**t,WORKING OUT ON YOUTUBE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!:

A LOT of "keyboard warriors/intenet hardman" out there. I've experienced my fair share!
» Ello, ello. (Go to post)12-01-2007 @ 00:05 
Post Edited: 12.01.2007 @ 00:05 AM

Any comps coming up? Are you in L'pool or derby or somewhere along the zambezi river these days?

The last one is the closest!

I moved to S.Korea last year for work & travel. I'm teaching English out here. It's been a really cool experience so farm, glad I went. But it did put the hold on my weight lifting. Facilities and food out here, make powerlifting impossible. So I haven't trained for a while with a view to getting back in the saddle when i'm back home. I must admit that lately my urge to train is overtaking my urge to travel!

The idea is to get back sometime in the spring/summer and take 6 months or so to get back to my pre-travel weights (something like 227-135-230 @ 82.5 is where I left it) and then head straight back to the Nationals.

You guys going to be in Manchester for the next academic year also?

Good to be back! Faz

PS. The site is still up, though little has changed for a good year or so. www.otbonline.co.uk
» promoting sugdenbarbell.co.uk (Go to post)11-01-2007 @ 10:42 
someone invite fazc? Or has he vanished for good.

Vanished you say?...
» Ello, ello. (Go to post)11-01-2007 @ 10:32 
Post Edited: 11.01.2007 @ 10:35 AM
Hello:

Just a quick message to say hi. Haven't been about much lately, popped into some the old sites and managed to track you down here. Good work on the site, looks great!

Hope you're training's going well, i'll have a gander around here in the meantime Happy

Faz

(The fella who makes strange noises when he does a GM)

12345678910 ... ... 407408409410411412413414415416417

You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions