Who's Online - 0 members and 204 guests
You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts

View All Posts: Fazc

12345678910 ... ... 407408409410411412413414415416417

» The Legend of Toothpick (Go to post)01-09-2007 @ 17:38 
US? Sounds fun, how long you gone for?
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)01-09-2007 @ 15:02 
Post Edited: 01.09.2007 @ 15:26 PM
Ask away, i'm glad for the distraction. Doing some revision/background reading for that PGCE I mentioned, and its hella boring. I'll write this in breaks.

Originally posted by Rick...I thought I'd ask rather than (a) waste time and (b) look like I'm stalking you.

Hehe, no problem. You've got it actually, heres a rundown for the week.

Mon - Bench 5x1, 5x5. Rows 5x6-10. Inclines 5x3-8

Tue - Squat 1x1, GM 1x3-5, Leg press 1x5-6, Cable Shrugs 5x6-12

Thur - Press 5x1, 5x5. Chins 5x6-10. Lockouts 5x3-8

Fri - Ollys DL. Abs 5x10. Cable Shrugs 5x6-12

Thats the ideal week anyway, things get changed around depending on 'life'. Its a lot of volume, especially for the upper body, so I worked out that every 3rd week I need to take a light week. I seem to respond better to doing a load of work in a short period then resting thoroughly. Rather than spreading all my workload out. If I run into the 3rd week heavy, i'll fall ill (weak ass immune system).

(Tea break!!)

Bench progression is fairly simple: I don't cycle back ever, if i'm feeling weak i'll take a light session and thats proven to be enough. Otherwise every session i'll try a higher weight than last week. The back off work helps the singles progress and is done between 5 sets of 3-5 reps. Shoulders are always my weak link, if my Press goes up the Bench will also.

Squat progression is also similar to Benches, I don't ever cycle back. One week heavy, one week light. So, yep only once a fortnight, the reason why is that Squats are just too intensive to be worked more often. I let the assistance exercises take care of the volume. If I were to do volume on Squats my joints (mainly my hip) would cease up on me. I've been there before, wasn't nice.

All the training is based on weak points. A little effort on the 'correct' weak point training, can make up for a ton of volume, now thats efficiency. Weak areas are the hardest thing to identify. But you got two choices, either do a s**tload of volume and work everything till it hurts. Sort of a siege mentality, OR you can accurately pinpoint your weak areas and work them with a little volume. I always try to do the latter, because i'm not very genetically gifted and my joints don't tolerate the volume that well. But a little intelligent thought can make up a lot of genetic shortcomings.

I've also been fortunate enough to be friends with some really, really good coaches and thats generally how I progress so quickly when i get going. Thats really a big reason why I don't like WSB. A mans own training diary will always win out against some authors article, if he knows what hes looking for.

f**k thats a long post!
» The Legend of Toothpick (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 23:40 
Nice one, and shows the value of good log keeping too!
» The Assassin (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 23:36 
Cheers for that Rick, always usefull to see what other lifters are doing. We actually train fairly similarly.

Good work on those Deads again.
» Some rehab stuff (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 23:35 
Hey:

Everyones picked up a back injury at some point. I use Trigger Point Therapy from these charts to sort out my back every once in a while, posting them here in case anyone finds them useful.

http://www.otbonline.co.uk/tpback.jpg

http://www.otbonline.co.uk/tpfront.jpg

If you know something about Trigger Point Therapy, you'll know what these charts are. If not the long explanation is written below, I wrote this a few years back.

----

This is for the treatment of trigger points in the back. These points seem to house pain in a muscle and can be very painful over time if not treated. What you need to do with trigger point therapy (TPT) is to ease and dissipate that pain. Using a "bodo" (the sawed off end of a broom handle will do) you apply pressure to these points and thus releive the tension.

This is a pretty basic overview. Just enough to get you back in the gym.

Look at the attachment, from this sketch you should be able to see where the trigger points lie. Most of them are on your back.

1, 2, 3, these points are on your back to the right of your belt line, at the exact equator of your belt line.

4 is exactly to your side on your belt line.

5 is on your front just above the groin region on your
belt line.

6 is on your right hamstring.

7 is on your middle back to your left side.

8 is on your upper back to the right side, near your
shoulder blade.

9, 10, 11, 12 are along your right upper tarp.

These points should be worked in the order that is given.

PAIN - Heres the clever bit. When you press the bodo against the points you are looking for a very specific type of pain, it will be a very sharp pain, like to someone stabbing you with a needle, It will hurt. Get used to it. It will take some experimentation to know exactly where these points are as your body is individual, you will know when you have found the point though because you should experience the very sharp pain that i have described.

It's essential you find this type of pain only this type of pain. Anything else is probably a waste. Hold for around 10 seconds as hard as you can stand. Do this for every point in the order stated.

Stretching - Next up come the stretches, just as important.

1 - Get on your back and bring up one leg while keeping the other flat on the floor. Clutch the raised leg to your chest, stretch for a while, then do the same with the other.

2 - Lie on your side, bring one leg up and clutch it to your chest, repeat with other leg.

3 - Cat stretch - Position yourself on your hands and knees, let your belly sag SLOWLY ease your self and let your weight drop all the while keeping your arms locked.

4 - From the previous stretch now arch your back and hold.

5 - Lie on your front and try to bring up your elbows and lean on them, dont force it. You should be lying on your front and leaning on your elbows. Let your back sag gently.

Get up and good luck!
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 23:16 
Thanks Rick, the idea is this time around to do everything to avoid picking up these injuries which will hold me back like last time. Hoping these wraps work on the Bench when I get back to 130-135 or so.

Was also talking to an old mentor, and he suggested I substitute some of my Bench work for 2-Board work to reduce the movement around the shoulders and reduce elbow flexion. This should apparently help a little in preserving my joints through the pounding they'll get.

Any thoughts on that, are more than welcome also.
» The Assassin (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 23:11 
Post Edited: 31.08.2007 @ 23:12 PM
Woohoo, 5 plates. Very nice Rick Cool

Can you summarise what you're doing for Deadlift work at the moment mate?
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 16:36 
Hey Tony,

Its the Olly Deadlift Routine that everyone raves about, been doing that for a year or so, it fits in well with my squat training.
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)31-08-2007 @ 15:41 
Cheers lads, it was a pretty easy end to the cycle. I'll be knocking the whole cycle up 10kg and starting anew from next week.

Friday 31st August

Seated Press - Upto 90kg x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ... 75kg x 5, 3, 3, 3, 3

Chins - BW+20kg x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

BP.Lockouts - 100kg x 5 ... 105kg x 3, 3, 1

Tried wrapping my wrists today on the Presses with the idea of safeguarding my elbows. I can feel how it would help, felt a lot more secure. I'm sold on them. Yeesh, still learning stuff even now.

Cheers, Faz
» bench questions (Go to post)30-08-2007 @ 20:07 
Cheers.
» bench questions (Go to post)30-08-2007 @ 19:40 
Got a link for that Rob?

(Can't believe i'm asking for links to T-Nation, oh the shame...)

If it could help the elbows, i'm all for it.
» Benching and pausing (Go to post)30-08-2007 @ 11:04 
Post Edited: 30.08.2007 @ 12:09 PM
Hmm that could be something for me to look into. Shoulder/Elbow soreness was a big reason why I didn't progress further last year. I would generally pause everything, from main sets to back offs.

So is the idea that the upward drive from a paused position, is too stressful to do all the time?
» Different Powerlifting Feds (Go to post)29-08-2007 @ 18:54 
Originally posted by Baz...Now, i'm just being a prick
Grin
» SB challenge & meet? (Go to post)29-08-2007 @ 17:56 
Sure, I probably won't be able to come up to see you guys, unfortunately. But i'll happily max on the 3 and try get some vids up. Would be a good way to mimic a Meet and see how i'm shaping up.
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)29-08-2007 @ 16:01 
Post Edited: 29.08.2007 @ 16:27 PM
Its a shrug, you set up on the Cable Row machine but instead of rowing back, you keep your arms straight and just pull back with your shoulders blades. Really squeeze that upper back together.

190kg x 2

195kg from the toes

12345678910 ... ... 407408409410411412413414415416417

You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions