REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 215 guests
You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts

View All Posts: Fazc

12345678910 ... ... 407408409410411412413414415416417

» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)22-08-2007 @ 16:22 
Thanks for the encouragement Thing!

Rick:

Yeah, thats the kind of thing I mean. I also thought WSB would not still be brainwashing almost every beginner level trainee on the internet, but that hasn't changed either. Even trying to advise these guys on stuff seems pointless, on one hand you want to shake them and say you gotta build up a foundation! On the other hand, you just know their reply will be "but, but, but Faz! Louie Simmons says I need to...." and well, its just pathetic. Sure Simmons turns out champs, but these are guys who are already good powerlifters, they come to Simmons to go from good to great. People don't realise these guys are lightyears away from the common trainee, including you and me. So trying to build a foundation on a WSB routine is about the stupidest thing a guy can do.

I see guys all the time who aren't yet squatting 140kg, switching their Squats and Deadlifts for lighter speed days or alternate 'ME' exercises (or whatever Waterbury is calling them now). Its just crazy, they need to knuckle down on the basics for years. b**ch about progress, when they've given their bodies a reason to grow.

Thats just one example. But its a common one, running rampant across the boards even now. It used to be Weider for bodybuilding, now its WSB for strength.
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)22-08-2007 @ 15:45 
Post Edited: 22.08.2007 @ 15:46 PM
I should clarify those comments above had nothing to do with recent discussions here, I visit a lot of boards and this is a good one. So talk away Joni and Rob and Rick Happy

Thing:

Generally i'll go something like 20kg x 10, 20kg x 10, 60kg x 5, 100kg x 5, 140kg x 3, 160kg x 1, 200kg x 1.

Next time i'll move my last warm up set to about 170 or so and try for 205. I'm still building strength back to where I was so these weights don't have any mental barrier attached to them.
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)22-08-2007 @ 15:31 
Thanks Joni, you know the reason why. It's because i've made small changes here and there to my training over the years which has lead to a training style which works perfectly for me. I don't jump on every weightlifting bandwagon that comes by.

But thats way too sensible for some people! Since coming back to these forums (all of them) over the past month i've realised the problem hasn't gone away and people still put stock in inappropriate training routines and totally ignore what got them to where they are.

Some people just want to talk, others want to train.

Wednesday 22nd August

Squats - 200kg x 1

GMs - 150kg x 2

Leg Press - 340kg x 6

Good, good. Its coming back.
» Nice Ass (Go to post)22-08-2007 @ 15:20 
Originally posted by little_a...
Fair enough mate.
For me he loses all credability in advocating OH sqts, but I guess I lose mine when I ask about masturbation and it's application to strength and power trainingConfused

Lol Happy

Well, I don't know too much about Oly lifting, certainly not as much as you do. Just some of his general training recommendations have been like gold to me.
» Nice Ass (Go to post)22-08-2007 @ 08:39 
He's just one of those guys that really makes a lot of sense. I've read a lot of his stuff and applied a lot of his stuff to my own training with good results. His advice for the most part is helpful and applicable.
» What do belts do? (Go to post)22-08-2007 @ 08:18 
Originally posted by Rick...I'll leave it there, since I suspect we're talking past each other.

Well not really, I think you're over personalising this discussion. It was never meant to be about whether you Rick, or you Rob should wear belts. You have made your decision based on what you prefer and nothing anyone can say, should change that. Rather we're talking about the general effectiveness of wearing a belt if you're not bound by competition rules. Also about the original poster Neil, who has never used a belt and is asking for advice on it.

So, what to do? At the moment I'm injury free and I would like to stay that way. Should I wear a belt, or should I just carry on the way I am making sure my back is straight?

Now, advising Neil on wearing a belt will not do anything beneficial for him. He's never worn one, and has never been injured. Many of us however are already reliant on the belt for max attempts, we're reliant because our core muscles are relativey weak. They are weak because in training our back is supported by the belt. Advocating that Neil use a belt, will only serve to make him reliant on the belt for max attempts as well. I'm advocating Neil avoid the belt, and instead continue to build a strong back capable of squatting without any assistance. Instead of pampering the back with support, allow it to grow strong with the rest of the body. That will be safer in the end.
» What do belts do? (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 23:25 
Originally posted by Rick...
In another thread, you mentioned a guy's strong seated overhead press. Is the bench he's sitting on a crutch?

I've never been a fan of the Standing Press for powerlifting. In most cases the limiting factor there is the core and not the pressing muscles. The difference here is that the press is being used to assist the Bench and as such the Pressing muscles should be allowed to be worked to the limit. By doing your shoulder presses on a Bench you are not losing any benefits you would otherwise have by doing them standing, you are in fact benefiting by allowing your shoulders to use more weight and not to be limited to how much your back can stand in that position. And the conditioning for your lower back in a Standing Press position is quite different to a Squatting position.

Originally posted by Rick...In a similar way, my shoes are definitely a crutch. I'm sure I can't squat as much barefoot, I wouldn't even consider trying.

Think about what you're saying here. A crutch it is, but are you losing any benefit by training in shoes? No, I don't think so. Unless strong arches are a goal. But this is nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Originally posted by Rick...You can develop more leg, upper back etc strength while squatting the bigger weight with a belt...

Right, we're back on topic. Yes you can develop more power in the other muscles, however you lose development in the core. You know this, if training of the entire body equally is the goal, and you are not restricted by federation rules then it doesn't make sense to advocate the use of belts here. Because as you build the rest of your body, you lose development of the core.

Originally posted by Rick...just as you build triceps with a board press to help your raw bench or shoulders with a seated press to help your standing press. It's a normal and successful training technique.

This example is a normal and successful training technique which builds up weak areas. However wearing a belt is not, it only makes the gap wider, not building strength. Instead allowing the back to remain (relatively) weak, because it is supported.

Regarding injuries again: As i've said if certain equipment helps to control existing injuries then go for it.

Originally posted by Rick...Again, I think there's a real division - if only emotionally - between, on the one hand, belts and wraps (and shoes), and on the other, suits and shirts, and it's one that I think your typical gym member or indeed regular punter who knows nothing about powerlifting feels too.

Yes. The difference is only emotional. For a non-competitor who has no injuries, lifting with a belt makes about as much sense as lifting with a suit and wraps. It only sounds less dramatic.

Faz
» Purple Paul Naturally (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 22:59 
I don't check in here often but as far as DNP goes, really don't do it.

It's not worth the risk, and there is NOT enough documentation/testing on it to support the idea that is safe enough to use.
» Missing: Olly Jackson (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 22:56 
Originally posted by Rob...
I must state for the record that I am only speculating on his weight-loss Grin

If its on the internet, it must be true!!!!!1111oneone
» What do belts do? (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 22:55 
Originally posted by Rob......would you tell a cricketer to stop relying on his top of the range cricket bat and thus not be able to hit it as far? Would you tell a sprinter not to wear the most advanced training shoes to be able to run those few milli-seconds quicker? These things are all part of the equation for me.

I guess i'm not explaining myself properly because we're just going over the same issues here. Those examples you gave are of competitors using what advantages they can within the rules of their chosen sports. That is not what we're talking about here.

My point here is that if you're not competing, you do not need to conform to any rules. As such a belt is not a neccesary tool in your arsenal. You are lifting against yourself only. You can lift without a belt and not lose any advantage to other competitors whatsoever.

All you gain by using a belt consistently in your training is a reliance on using that belt for every max attempt thereafter. Instead of having the neccesary conditioning to lift all your maxes without a belt all the time.

NB. Its understandable for injuries. If you feel it helps, then more power to you.
» Missing: Olly Jackson (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 22:45 

Even if you're 82 kilos.

Ouch!

Yeah I know how that goes, living in Korea for the past year hasn't been so good on my training either.

Sounds fun though!
» Missing: Olly Jackson (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 21:40 
In serious news, Olly should be back in the country this week.

I'm really out of the loop Unhappy

Where has he been?
» What do belts do? (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 21:34 
Suggestion of knee wraps/suits is a different topic altogether because here we're talking about a lifter who wants to improve what is deemed as an unequipped total.

We're not talking about an unequipped total. I get the impression of a guy asking about using a belt in his training to 'get stronger' thats all.

Originally posted by Rob...I don't see how the belt becomes a crutch. You can do plenty of core work as other exercises

We're not talking about merely strengthening the abs here. We're talking about conditioning the entire mid-section for Squats. Try squatting your max weight without a belt, when you normally wear a belt and you'll see exactly what I mean about it being a crutch.

If your defence is you could do some ab exercises to close that gap, and be Sqauatting the same. Then why belt up in the first place?

Originally posted by Rob...Do chalk or wrist wraps become crutches just because you need them on your heavy lifts?

Wrist wraps yeah they do. Same thing, if you normally use wraps just try and lift the same without its obvious you won't be able to (and if you can, why are you using them?).

Again, if the defence is with some training you could close the gap and be lifting the same without wraps then i'll say again, why not just train your grip and not use them in the first place?
» What do belts do? (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 21:17 
Post Edited: 21.08.2007 @ 21:21 PM
I don't agree with that, just because you don't compete doesn't mean you can't go for the best lifts you're capable of.

Then don a double-ply, knee-wraps and go all out?

No Rob, you can still go for your best lifts. The key is that because you don't compete you can lift on your own terms. Why lift with a belt and have that crutch in your lifting, if it isn't required by your federation?

Using it because you want to lift more really isn't a good reason, as i've stated above go right ahead and get some more lifting equipment is that is your goal. Why stop at the belt...

If you're using a belt to compare yourself to the RAW lifting leagues then be aware that what you lift on the platform can be quite different to what you lift in the gym. So, thats not really a good reason either.

Don't burden yourself with a belt if you're not competing. It'll just be a mental/physical crutch in your training which you will eventually have to wear any time you attempt max weights.
» benching (Go to post)21-08-2007 @ 20:56 
Good stuff mate, your strong points are very impressive. Knuckle down on the weaker areas and you'll be unstoppable.

12345678910 ... ... 407408409410411412413414415416417

You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions