REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 182 guests

bench questions

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

nicoIconbench questions30-08-2007 @ 09:53 
just smoked Ed and Neil - EAT MY GOAL
Member 120, 1582 posts
Sorry for the double post, but this is from my journal and i thought i might get a few more opinions here.

Also, a couple of question about benching.
1: What do wrist wraps do? I tried wrapping my wrist for the first set and could'nt decide if it was easier or harder.
2: How do I work on getting a bigger arch? i tried today to arch more but it just seems to hurt (I'm not very flexible!). I think if I could arch more it would be very beneficial to my bench;
3: Some time in the future (if I can get a raw max of 130-140), i would like to try shirted benching. Is this possible if you train alone?
CuddlesIcon...30-08-2007 @ 10:31 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
- Wrist wraps do nothing more than support your wrists. I love them and do very little pressing without them, but there are plenty of guys who never use them and have no problems.

- There a are a couple of good articles on arching. I'll try and dig some up for you. One thing to remember though is that you dont want to just be arching your lower back. Pin your shoulder blades back and together and push your traps into the bench to help arch your upper back too. This will both shorten the rom and put your shoulders in a much safer position.

- Shirted benching is pretty tough alone. For a start its not especially easy to get a shirt on, especially one fitted properly. In fact, unless its open backed you havent got a lot of chance unless its too loose to have an effect anyway. Plus tbh, you could do with a good handout and spot when benching shirted.
tbenchIcon...30-08-2007 @ 10:39 
addicted to bench press, needs help
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Originally posted by nico...
Sorry for the double post, but this is from my journal and i thought i might get a few more opinions here.

Also, a couple of question about benching.
1: What do wrist wraps do? I tried wrapping my wrist for the first set and could'nt decide if it was easier or harder.
2: How do I work on getting a bigger arch? i tried today to arch more but it just seems to hurt (I'm not very flexible!). I think if I could arch more it would be very beneficial to my bench;
3: Some time in the future (if I can get a raw max of 130-140), i would like to try shirted benching. Is this possible if you train alone?

1,wraps protect your joints on heavy sets.

2,im the same cant get a big arch but imo as long as you have a good base to bench from (feet flat to the floor,shoulders squeezed together,and arch as much as you can,it works for me.

3,never tryed a shirt wont for another year at least,but have been to a comp and i would say if you can get a shirt on by yourself its far to big,so i wouldnt think it was doable on your own.

just my opinion Nico im also a begginer,good luck with it mateHappy
nicoIcon...30-08-2007 @ 10:57 
Member 120, 1582 posts
cheers for the useful replies fellows. I would be very interested in the articles if you can dig them out olly
TitchIcon...30-08-2007 @ 12:56 
One Sexy MoFo
Member 101, 2470 posts
To add another bench question, what's the legal grip width for benching? Does this vary from fed to fed?

I bench with my little fingers on the rings of our Oly bar. No idea if our bar is 100% or not though! My expertise tends to lie in other types of bars.Tongue
RickIcon...30-08-2007 @ 16:59 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
The markings on a power bar are at 81cm, and you must have your index fingers on or inside them. Most oly bars tend to be marked at 86cm, which for me means I need third finger just inside the rings for max legal.
BoarIcon...30-08-2007 @ 17:23 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
yea, shirted benching alone is not much of an option

i have an advanced benchpress dvd if you would like a copy ?

it gives some tips on arch and other bits aswell as shirted benching and just how tough it is
IainKendrickIcon...30-08-2007 @ 17:39 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Looks like your questions have been coverd. Don't worry about the wraps feeling a little 'different'. After a couple of sessions you'll be good with em and they do help lock the wrist and protect the joint.
RobIcon...30-08-2007 @ 18:51 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
One thing that no one has mentioned is that wrist wraps can be good for elbow health too - helps keep the forearm area tense - there is an explanation of this in a T-Nation article regarding elbow health.
FazcIcon...30-08-2007 @ 19:40 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Got a link for that Rob?

(Can't believe i'm asking for links to T-Nation, oh the shame...)

If it could help the elbows, i'm all for it.
RobIcon...30-08-2007 @ 20:05 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1270397
FazcIcon...30-08-2007 @ 20:07 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Cheers.
nicoIcon...30-08-2007 @ 20:49 
Member 120, 1582 posts
Originally posted by IainKendrick...
Looks like your questions have been coverd. Don't worry about the wraps feeling a little 'different'. After a couple of sessions you'll be good with em and they do help lock the wrist and protect the joint.

thanks iain. I guess like most things i just need to giive it a few sessions to get used to it.
nicoIcon...30-08-2007 @ 20:50 
Member 120, 1582 posts
Originally posted by Boar...
yea, shirted benching alone is not much of an option

i have an advanced benchpress dvd if you would like a copy ?

it gives some tips on arch and other bits aswell as shirted benching and just how tough it is

cheers mate. If there is anyway of sending it over the net I'd love a copy, otherwise it might be a bit pricy to post off to france
Ben_Tricky_BurgessIcon...01-09-2007 @ 21:47 
Member 86, 297 posts
r.e the comment about shirt benching alone and any shirt you get on by yourself having no effect...

Well both me and Joel sometimes train shirt bench alone, we both have training shirts that are loose enough to get on alone...It takes some practice and it aint pretty in fact in my case the taking off of the shirt brings images of a ugly red baby crocodile pecking its way out of a shell.

But it IS possible to get a shirt on by yourself and get some carryover from it, I reckon i get ~20kg from my training shirt.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions