Who's Online - 1 member and 125 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshit2009

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

philIcon200924-08-2008 @ 21:08 
apparently knows nothing
Member 195, 154 posts
SQ 310, BP 215, DL 255
780.0 kgs @ 74kgs Eq
Well guys 2009 and will be here very soon, i have an idea, can we try to organise some of our coms on different dates.
I know this may be hard but i am sure if even though we are different federations we could try to have events on different date's so that comps dont coincide. Myself i like to watch other events by other feds, even though i lift with bwla and will continue to when the new fed is set up in the new year.
It looks like there will be new changes ahead and i think if we can at least try to move things around so that as a powerlifter who likes to spectate as well it does not force me to have to pick between things.
I know Brian B is doing what he can for his federation and like wise the drug free guys, if we were to pick our dates a bit better then we could each in turn possible have some more spectators at each of our events. I know that there will always be some events that cannot be avoided but it if at all possible to then can we try.
Maybe we could have a section on the forum where we can have a calender of events so that we can look at when a promoter choses to hold an event.
I would be interested to hear your remarks about this and hope that we can sort something out that suits us all.
RobIcon...25-08-2008 @ 13:28 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Well we do have the competition calendar on this site which has done a pretty good job this year:

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/index.php/competitions

It's had about 60 competitions (across strongman and powerlifting) added to it this year, and has helped us avoid 'double booking' here in the North West. If more people submit competitions to it then it will be even more useful, admins can only do so much Happy
JoniIcon...25-08-2008 @ 21:03 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
another option would be to create a comp planning forum section to a place like PL UK which only comp organisers can access, and then advertise that around different feds, and discuss dates and conflicting times there.

I would also hope that at least regional organisers would keep a slight eye on the strongman comp calendars as well to avoid double bookings in same locality which would eat participants and spectators from both.
jtIcon...25-08-2008 @ 21:23 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7867 posts
Post Edited: 25.08.2008 @ 21:24 PM by jt
phil said:
i lift with bwla and will continue to when the new fed is set up in the new year.

Hi Phil seems odd you are still going to lift with bwla any particular reason?
brynevansIcon...25-08-2008 @ 22:27 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Expect a roughly similar calender to this year in the Northwest in 2009 but of course this will depend upon the dates of national and international contests and availability of venues. When we have a full calender of events later in the year I will make it official on here.
LukeCIcon...25-08-2008 @ 23:07 
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Greater co-operatin between feds is always welcome. Sometimes comps do overlap, for example this year this year (IIRC) the BAWLA North West and the BPC Welsh comp were on the same weekend. I had promised my brother I would go to Wales with him so the NW was out of the question.

While I would fully encourage organisers to avoid these problems it isnt easy. Even with the realativly few feds (compared to the US) in the UK there are only so many weekends in the year. While I appreciate Joni's point that there are also times when strongman/powerlifting clashes further complicating things I think it might be asking a bit too much of organisers to consider that as well.
RobThomasIcon...26-08-2008 @ 09:52 
Benches more than he deadlifts.
Member 110, 91 posts
SQ 340, BP 275, DL 270
885.0 kgs @ 150kgs Eq
When Phil said about he will still be lifting with BWLA, he means the new fed, the GBPF after 1st January.
MattGriffIcon...26-08-2008 @ 10:27 
Member 194, 3976 posts
A schedule to check conflicts would be a great idea, blondie will be lifting with you guys next year too aiming to take some scalps (I need the hair you see).
As I mentioned to golden boy although I am not of the BWLA/GBPF tradition or having the required cleanliness of blood necessary to compete with said feds, I do love no nonsense (or rather no bulls**t politics) powerlifting and lifting in general so will happily offer my help with anything going on in the midlands if you can stand to have a druggie in the mix.
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshit2009
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions