Box Squats

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

The_LechamotiveIconBox Squats02-07-2008 @ 16:51 
balls one size too big
Member 338, 604 posts
SQ 175, BP 130, DL 210
515.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
what do you guys think of these?

I was busting a few out at the sugden yesterday and they felt trey gay, much tougher than a regular squat. The box was pretty low mind so that might be a factor.

Westside totally rates them so I thought I'd investigate...
MattGriffIcon...02-07-2008 @ 16:59 
Member 194, 3976 posts
I do them religiously, Porky does em, Del does em as do Craig Coombs and Justin Hurley and countless other lifters.

Box squats = massive hammy and glute power = bigger squat and more fire off the floor in a deadlift

Do them, but do them fast on the ascent.
brynevansIcon...02-07-2008 @ 22:55 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
We've been doing them a few months on the advice of Clive Henry, they may help.
PhilKlidarasIcon...02-07-2008 @ 23:56 
Cut him some slack, he is an american
Member 311, 1751 posts
sorry to hijack this thread fellas.....

but how would you implement these into an off season routine for boosting one's SQ and DL??

much thanks,
phil
MattGriffIcon...03-07-2008 @ 08:43 
Member 194, 3976 posts
PhilKlidaras said:
sorry to hijack this thread fellas.....

but how would you implement these into an off season routine for boosting one's SQ and DL??

much thanks,
phil

Depends where you are weak to be honest, what part of your squat is weak and what part of your deadlift?

I do box squat in place of actual squats off season, followed by pause squats but I am weakest at the bottom of the lift and both of these help develop fire out of the hole.
I do think they also benefit a wider stance squatter as they really use the hammys, adductors and glutes.
PhilKlidarasIcon...03-07-2008 @ 22:24 
Member 311, 1751 posts
i am weak off of the floor when i DL....i use a conv style, anything i can get to my knees i can lockout.

SQ wise, i am weak outta the hole when i SQ raw....don't use a wide stance, i am a slightly narrower than shoulder width stance guy.

would you cycle the weights much like regular SQ sessions and the same with the pause SQ??

TIA,
phil.
MattGriffIcon...04-07-2008 @ 09:02 
Member 194, 3976 posts
PhilKlidaras said:
i am weak off of the floor when i DL

SQ wise, i am weak outta the hole when i SQ raw

would you cycle the weights much like regular SQ sessions and the same with the pause SQ??

Deffo box squats for you then, it is all about power out of the bottom of both lifts

Yeah ccycle them do say 6 weeks working to a max 5 rep set, then maybe another 6 working to a max triple
AndyHIcon...04-07-2008 @ 09:39 
Member 143, 237 posts
SQ 340, BP 245, DL 310
895.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
I'd definitely go with box squats both on and off season, even for an established lifter they can prove very useful. The one big thing is being prepared to swallow the pride with the weights used to start with and accept they will start small and build up. It also doesnt hurt (in the mental sense - it hurts like hell physically to start with) to do at least two sessions a week, one light(er) and fast and the other hard and heavy; at least that was one of my favourite micro-cycles.

I have no doubt that you will read loads of information about box squats via the westside site and various other places, but the two big things I would always emphasise to anyone starting out with these is control on the descent and explosion on the ascent; get those two right and you are on the path. Then you can have fun and start adding bands and chains.

Have fun
PhilKlidarasIcon...04-07-2008 @ 09:57 
Member 311, 1751 posts
thanks a lot chaps!
RobThomasIcon...04-07-2008 @ 20:23 
Benches more than he deadlifts.
Member 110, 91 posts
SQ 340, BP 275, DL 270
885.0 kgs @ 150kgs Eq
Box squats have brought my squat on a lot over the past year or so, I think they are great.
swf3Icon...04-07-2008 @ 21:21 
Member 189, 23 posts
Did my 1st ever box squats today, went 100kg 5x5x5x5 it was a lot harder than i thought it would be!
just a question to everyone do you rock back the forwards then drive up?
any links to any proper way of performing them?
AndyHIcon...05-07-2008 @ 21:10 
Member 143, 237 posts
SQ 340, BP 245, DL 310
895.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
Definitely absolutely never never never do any rocking on the box - ever - rip your own head off and use it as a bowling ball before you rock on the box!!!

Basically, just think about what you are doing to your lumbar spine and sacrum, not to mention your other vertebrae. Sitting on a box with a large weight at the end of a fulcrum (i.e. your spine) and rocking back and forwards. The reason I am rather enthusiastic about the NO on this one is having suffered a damaged SI joint earlier in my lifting career (wobbling walkouts with 350 and just a belt) I know intimately well how it feels if it's moving how it shouldn't and sure as hell it's moving how it shouldn't when you rock on a box.

Best form from my perspective is you you keep you back solid during the whole lift. The only thing that should partly release off at any point is your hips and legs, and that is only partly, just enough so that you break the elastic process of the muscles at the bottom of the lift and force them to activate more to fire you off the box.

The westside and elitefts sites have some great write ups on these, but your best bet is to find yourself a coach who knows his apples.
EDCLARKEIcon...05-07-2008 @ 21:54 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10990 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Ive not got a lot of lifting experience but I really rate box squats ,they have been the key to me improving my squat!
swf3Icon...07-07-2008 @ 14:54 
Member 189, 23 posts
Post Edited: 08.07.2008 @ 20:36 PM by swf3
AndyH said:
Definitely absolutely never never never do any rocking on the box - ever - rip your own head off and use it as a bowling ball before you rock on the box!!!

Basically, just think about what you are doing to your lumbar spine and sacrum, not to mention your other vertebrae. Sitting on a box with a large weight at the end of a fulcrum (i.e. your spine) and rocking back and forwards. The reason I am rather enthusiastic about the NO on this one is having suffered a damaged SI joint earlier in my lifting career (wobbling walkouts with 350 and just a belt) I know intimately well how it feels if it's moving how it shouldn't and sure as hell it's moving how it shouldn't when you rock on a box.

Best form from my perspective is you you keep you back solid during the whole lift. The only thing that should partly release off at any point is your hips and legs, and that is only partly, just enough so that you break the elastic process of the muscles at the bottom of the lift and force them to activate more to fire you off the box.

The westside and elitefts sites have some great write ups on these, but your best bet is to find yourself a coach who knows his apples.

A big thank you andy!

I really cant believe how little i know about powerlifting, now i watched the westside barbell seminar vids

I have never done any gm`s or box squats or board presses.

Andy how`s your health? i think i read you had a bad kidney
MattGriffIcon...07-07-2008 @ 15:23 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Andy has it right, don't f**king rock!

Squat down onto it as you would squat normally and release the tension in the hips, that is it. Simple and effective and form building.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions