REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 184 guests

amy winehouse is brown bread........

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

PompyIcon...25-07-2011 @ 17:52 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
well it was a lead story on the BBC yesterday and now has been moved to second place on the BBC website... a pretty reputable news outlet surely? If a bit left wing for my tastes.
CuddlesIcon...25-07-2011 @ 18:25 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
We must have watched different news yesterday then and it was the third item on their website yesterday, when I first saw the news. It was listed below Lewis Hamilton winning a car race....

I would also argue that the standard of the main news on the beeb has been in quite a rapid decline for the last 4-6 years. It has long since lost its credibility since they started 'engineering' news which to me is completely against the role of a public service broadcaster.

I still stand by the original comment though, 'we get the media we deserve'.
PompyIcon...25-07-2011 @ 18:27 
Member 694, 3112 posts
I don't understand the quote though Cuddles... who gets the media they deserve? Me... you.... the general population.

And I agree about the BBC they are too often the centre of the story instead of the impartial reporters they should be.
CuddlesIcon...25-07-2011 @ 18:37 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Sorry mate, I mean societies' do.

If we didn't consume it with largely unabated enthusiasm, it wouldn't be produced. We cant then moan about the quality. The easiest way to send a message that you don't like a product is to stop buying it.
PompyIcon...25-07-2011 @ 18:41 
Member 694, 3112 posts
I would agree definitely
terryhollandsIcon...25-07-2011 @ 19:09 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
often people turn to drugs and drink to escape their reality and often are people that are suffering from very severe depression. we shouldn't judge someone unless we have walked a mile in their shoes!

am i suprised she has died, not at all but i personally don't think it is something to joke about.
WiegieboardIcon...25-07-2011 @ 19:19 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11335 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:Sorry mate, I mean societies' do.

If we didn't consume it with largely unabated enthusiasm, it wouldn't be produced. We cant then moan about the quality. The easiest way to send a message that you don't like a product is to stop buying it.

I did this a couple of years back. I still don't buy papers or watch tv much at all.
Amy obviously had some bad problems. Her family will be devastated.
danbaseleyIcon...25-07-2011 @ 19:42 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4483 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
She was obviously very talented, but seemed heavily burdened with a need for drugs and alcohol that working in the music industry seems to celebrate and facilitate, rather than attempts to steer people away from.

Coupled with mixing with a bad crowd, an "interesting" husband et al. and it is very easy for life to overcome the most level headed of people. For better or for worse, she did more in her short life to change the world than any of us probably will.
BenMacIcon...25-07-2011 @ 20:01 
'Looks like Ben Affleck according to Pagan'
Member 876, 2506 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 260
620.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Ive got two family members who struggle incredibly with addictions. One is functioning, but one of them is going to drink himself to death in the next couple of years. Its not as easy as 'tie them to a bed and that'll sort them out'. My uncle has had no shortage of love and help from us, but when someone doesnt want to be 'saved' its nigh on impossible to do anything about it. Hes got his demons, just as Amy obviously had hers, and its incredibly sad that a young, talented woman has died because of that.
little_aIcon...26-07-2011 @ 15:35 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Tragic that her demons got the better of her and at such a young age.

RIP Amy Winehouse.
HarryIcon...26-07-2011 @ 23:51 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
I eagerly await the likes of Doherty being made to blame for her downfall.

Nothing beats a bit of finger pointing. personally i couldn't care less about amy whino
n1ckIcon...27-07-2011 @ 10:53 
I don't have a plunger !
Member 2187, 334 posts
SQ 155, BP 117.5, DL 190
462.5 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Martin1956 said:
No, I know it's not. I just don't understand what motivates people to come onto the internet and rip (no pun intended) people who have just died. Yes, there are far more important deaths the last few days, but it would be unrealistic to expect the media not to cover the death of a highly talented singer and composer with a very high media profile.
She was sucked into the music business and media circus when she was still a kid, probably made the bad choices most of us have made at that age, but which we have been able to move past without constant media scrutiny.
Assuming her death is drug related (she could have been murdered for all we know pre-autopsy) she went the same way as Morrison, Jones, Hendrix, Joplin, Presley and many of the most feted and fondly remembered musicians of all time. If we're going to slag her off, let's have a go at all the others as well... And add to that people like James Taylor, Keith Richards, Ozzie Osbourne who did make it but in all honesty probably shouldn't...
As for getting clean, I had an ex partner many years ago now who was drinking herself to death in spite of all the efforts to help her. She knew she was doing it, she wanted to stop, but in addition to her addiction she had deep-seated depression issues and the drinking, initially, was self medication that descended in alcoholism. Stopping is far, far more difficult than being mentally strong enough, and I think suggestions that she could and should have stopped if she wanted to are glib, simplistic and not properly thought out.
We would willingly have done (and in fact we tried, metaphorically) the tied to the bed stuff. In simple terms, it's against the law.
At the end of the day, a talented singer/songwriter has died an untimely death after a battle with addiction and mental illness. Maybe if we went along with one of Jesus' better lines - 'Let him without sin cast the first stone' - this thread would make better reading.

Well said Martin!!
chaosIcon...28-07-2011 @ 09:19 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Now they reckon it wasn't drugs or booze but the lack of boozing that killed her - I'm never quitting booze its too dangerous!!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions