Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNovice?

Novice?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JayMcLaughlin
It doesn't matter if someone has entered 20 novice comps if they have never placed top 3, then they are at the right level.

If they place top 3 then it's time to move up.

That's the long and the short of it.
JayMcLaughlin said:It doesn't matter if someone has entered 20 novice comps if they have never placed top 3, then they are at the right level.

Well said ! There was a similar thread sometime back, lot more to it but thats a good way to shorten the bulls**t Happy
Bear
But what is they come top 3 just because the standard isnt that great?

There are multiple factors here, but surely the only way to judge somebodys eligibility is to put some numbers down for them to compare to?
me i ham a novice Happy

Happy
JayMcLaughlin said:
It doesn't matter if someone has entered 20 novice comps if they have never placed top 3, then they are at the right level.

That's an over-simplification.
Paul_D said:
I lol'd

Why?
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
As you have a big squat you might find that you're suited to side handle deads.
your definetly spot on there wayne my trap bar deadlift is way better than my normal deadlift
JayMcLaughlin
Bear said:But what is they come top 3 just because the standard isnt that great?

Most novice comps are a similar level.
It maybe possible to get top 3 at a poorly attended comp. but most novice comps are well represented.
If someone has got a top 3 and they want to enter another novice then they need to take that up with the promoter.

At least everyone knows where they stand.

There are multiple factors here, but surely the only way to judge somebodys eligibility is to put some numbers down for them to compare to?

Numbers are an indicator of someones potential but it's the performance that counts.
i was gonna do a novice comp last year or this year but as my lifts have gone up i would just have a go at opens now having never entered a strongman comp and no experience in stones, yoke etc. i also bought a log and some farmers a few weeks ago
GATES said:First timers - 180kg DL, 90kg overhead
Novice - 220kg DL, 100kg overhead
Intermediate - 250kg DL, 120kg overhead
Open - 300kg DL, 140kg overhead

That's what I think the numbers are in my head. If you get top 3 in novice you should be banned from doing any more.

It's ok to get top 3 in first timers cause its what it says it is first timers.

These are the numbers I am aiming for any way.

this looks like a good idea, so i'm going to stick to novice until i'm strong enough to do open or finish top 3. i don't want to rush myself but also don't want to be taking the piss.

i think the word novice is misleading, amateur would be better.
richiebevan said:
i'm going to stick to novice until i'm strong enough to do open or finish top 3.

Until you're strong enough for intermediate/u105 would be a better approach.

I don't agree with the "keep doing novice comps until you get a top 3 finish" approach.
if there was 1 solid body/federation it would be much easier i know its a diffrent sport but back when i was racing bmx i think they had it worked out good

if i remember correctly

you could enter as many novice comps as you wanted at regional level
but had to race amatuer to quilfy for national amatuer

if you raced novice at a national you could only do this twice then you had to move up no mater what

then when you were in amatuer with a much larger field of competetors the choice was your to go pro

at one point there was
novice
amateur
A pro
AA pros

would need alot of people to run like that but if there was one fed it would work
a pro was for the guys who stepped there game up and were looking for an invite or procard to AA pro

bare in mind double AA had big insentive which strongman doesnt so people could just glory hunt in the amatuer

think i was trying to make a point and got loast haha
JayMcLaughlin said:It doesn't matter if someone has entered 20 novice comps if they have never placed top 3, then they are at the right level.

think this is about rite IMO.

if u have failed to reach top level competing with novices then surely you will struggle in an open comp.
milsy said:if there was 1 solid body/federation it would be much easier i know its a diffrent sport but back when i was racing bmx i think they had it worked out good

if i remember correctly

you could enter as many novice comps as you wanted at regional level
but had to race amatuer to quilfy for national amatuer

if you raced novice at a national you could only do this twice then you had to move up no mater what

then when you were in amatuer with a much larger field of competetors the choice was your to go pro

at one point there was
novice
amateur
A pro
AA pros

would need alot of people to run like that but if there was one fed it would work
a pro was for the guys who stepped there game up and were looking for an invite or procard to AA pro

bare in mind double AA had big insentive which strongman doesnt so people could just glory hunt in the amatuer

think i was trying to make a point and got loast haha

You f**king lost me!Grin
haha like i said i lost myself ruff couple of days lol

think i was trying to say make novice more of a stepping stone 2-4 comps with alot lighter wieghts than currant novice comps so you know what comps run like how to prep for them and stuff then have an amatuer class so people can step into that from novice then the top guys go into an A pro class which should be just abit heavier than what intermidiate is now then have a new AA pro class which you need to quilify at A pro to get in with the top guys and heaviest wieghts

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNovice?
Return to top View Desktop Site