REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 171 guests

what is a genuinely good DOHG deadlift?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MikenetoIcon...10-11-2016 @ 15:13 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Mike Burke used to win all the grip comps he did. Shaw has a better grip than Burke.
matthewvcIcon...10-11-2016 @ 16:19 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3245 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
228kg is my best overhand axle. Honestly I'm not sure what I can deadlift at the mo, just know its probably a good bit more than I used to be able to do. I also don't know what I could hold onto overhand grip. My best one hand deadlift was triples at 140kg each hand on a thicker than normal bar, that wasn't with much specific training though. I did 200kg for 3 singles each hand in training for british grip championship but that was using hook grip.
As for the original question, 200kg+ is going good. I'd say 280kg is world class if the bar has good spin etc possibly more on a deadlift bar but never used one. Big tel said he had done 340 or 360kg on the gripboard, but most I've seen on video is 300 by a few.

deadlift bar (even though it's only 2mm smaller diameter than an eleiko), is definitely a benefit to my small hands as i can get more thumb surface area over my index/middle fingers doing double over.

i'm doing some DOHG axle holds tomorrow, i'll be interested to see how big a difference there is.
PaulSavageIcon...10-11-2016 @ 19:07 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Mikeneto said:Mike Burke used to win all the grip comps he did. Shaw has a better grip than Burke.

He didn't win them all, got beat by alexey but he only did comps suited to large hands as well, didn't do any proper grip comps. As for shaws grip being better, not the case from what I've seen, burke is more well rounded and brians grip always gives out on the frame carry at world's.
matthewvcIcon...10-11-2016 @ 20:06 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3245 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
300kg effort here
unit94Icon...10-11-2016 @ 22:17 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10450 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
PaulSavage said:
He didn't win them all, got beat by alexey but he only did comps suited to large hands as well, didn't do any proper grip comps. As for shaws grip being better, not the case from what I've seen, burke is more well rounded and brians grip always gives out on the frame carry at world's.

Are the ones at the Arnold not proper grip comps? Hand size is a factor in grip strength, that's unavoidable
FAT_SAMIcon...10-11-2016 @ 22:28 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Grippers and pinch are less hand size dependent than thick bar events.

I have reasonably short yet very thick muscular hands - not great for thick bar yet I always was close to Paul in comp on grippers and better at pinch.

If a comp is all thick bar or mostly thick bar like 'MIGHTY MITTS' than more often than not the dude with the largest hand wins.
MikenetoIcon...11-11-2016 @ 02:40 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Didn't Burke do LA fit expo a few times...pretty sure he only did doh axle recorded...but attempted rolling thunder and silver bullet and beat the other contestants easy. Also probably one of the best grip vids on the internet in an event where they put lots of grip objects around tables and they have to pick them up and put them on....he also pissed that.
MikenetoIcon...11-11-2016 @ 02:43 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Post Edited: 11.11.2016 @ 13:29 PM by Mikeneto
Comparison with other competitors...plenty of pinch objects

MikenetoIcon...11-11-2016 @ 02:48 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Also read before when Shaw and Burke would train together they would have grip comps and one of them was picking up a blob as often as they could in 2mins...Shaw would use 1 hand and Burke could use 2...so Shaw is obviously freakishly strong on blobs, but will also have all the other grip equipment.
PaulSavageIcon...11-11-2016 @ 04:09 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 11.11.2016 @ 04:10 AM by PaulSavage
unit94 said:
Are the ones at the Arnold not proper grip comps? Hand size is a factor in grip strength, that's unavoidable

No, basically thickbar contest, axle deadlift, inch dumbbell farmers, trying to lift mark henry bell etc they would throw medleys in but with 3" grip circus dumbbells and fatman blobs in anyone without big hands is screwed.

Actually it's very avoidable, David Horne has adjustable setups for thickbar and pinch that give no advantage to hand size then 20mm block set grippers is better for smaller-medium hands, meat hook very thin so better for smaller hands, hub events better for smaller hands, but then events like Horne top or moon top etc better for big hands. Thumb or wrist events it makes no odds really.
PaulSavageIcon...11-11-2016 @ 04:12 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Mikeneto said:Didn't Burke do LA fit expo a few times...pretty sure he only did doh axle recorded...but attempted rolling thunder and silver bullet and beat the other contestants easy. Also probably one of the best grip vids on the internet in an event where they put lots of grip objects around tables and they have to pick them up and put them on....he also pissed that.

Yeah do axle, rolling thunder, silver bullet, and that pinch grip medley all suited to large hands. Vs david Horne in a proper grip comp he would not win.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...11-11-2016 @ 08:28 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
This is another sore point in Grip (Grip guys like to argue a lot).

One analogy would be in Strongman you could design comps to favour a heavy static guy or a lighter mobile guy...but in this instance you could also personalise the platform heights etc.
unit94Icon...11-11-2016 @ 15:14 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10450 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
It sounds like their are a lot of grip people with small hand syndrome in the grip scene Tongue to me the events such as inch dumbbell farmers carries are the best tests of grip anyway. Making equipment so that different guys lift different objects seems abit dodgy to me. It's like me getting to use a smaller atlas stone because I'm short
KevC86Icon...11-11-2016 @ 16:51 
Member 5141, 4225 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
unit94 said:It sounds like their are a lot of grip people with small hand syndrome in the grip scene Tongue to me the events such as inch dumbbell farmers carries are the best tests of grip anyway. Making equipment so that different guys lift different objects seems abit dodgy to me. It's like me getting to use a smaller atlas stone because I'm short

Youd also get a smaller platform, just to keep it fair Wink
PaulSavageIcon...11-11-2016 @ 17:41 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 11.11.2016 @ 17:56 PM by PaulSavage
unit94 said:It sounds like their are a lot of grip people with small hand syndrome in the grip scene Tongue to me the events such as inch dumbbell farmers carries are the best tests of grip anyway. Making equipment so that different guys lift different objects seems abit dodgy to me. It's like me getting to use a smaller atlas stone because I'm short

It's not different objects, just different widths to give you the optimal for your hand size (most you can lift). The way a proper grip comp is setup is no different than a proper strongman comp. If all grip comps were all large hand events a lot of competitors wouldn't be able to compete. It would be no different than having all strongman comps with high platform loading, high platform stones, large sheild carry, truck pull with no rope, and massive barrel keg toss. No person that wasn't a giant would ever win and couldn't compete. It would be more about height than strength, same as more about big hands than strong hands. It should be fair to everybody, some events more suited to one, some more to another and some where it doesn't suit any better than another.

By the way the best guys on inch dumbbells are doing much less resistance than others. It's no different than doing a 120kg log vs a 150kg log, plus being short vs tall too. The reason is not only that they can wrap the hand completely around the handle, but more that there hand is so wide it gets wedged between the globes, stopping the rotation, which of course is the whole reason the inch is so difficult to lift.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions