REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 184 guests

i need to choose a strength sport

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

DownsetIconi need to choose a strength sport26-07-2016 @ 12:05 
Member 6095, 16 posts
Hi guys i am new to the forum.
I follow with interest and appreciation all strength sports(oly weightlifting, strongman and powerlifting) but i am a beginner so i still didnt decide which sport i should train for. I train since 1 year and after trying different lifts, my workouts are now based on my favorites: squats, push presses and deadlifts.
Fact is i need to make a decision and would be awesome to have your opinions.
One day i dream about doing log lifts, the day after i dream of squatting with wraps out of a monolift, but in order to be a powerlifter you have to bench too and i honestly hate it and i dont care to put energy on a lift i dont like. I often think about train only 2 lifts and compete in the future (squat and deadlift 1.5 / 1.8x bw atm) and that could be something more appealing.
I am 24 and novice so i am sorry if i may sound naive.

Looking forward to your replies
Thanks!
BerserkGromIcon...26-07-2016 @ 12:10 
Member 6083, 63 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 302.5
757.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
You're a beginner, don't try to specifically train for 1 event, just work on getting stronger in both powerlifting movements, olympic movements and packng on more meat. When you'll have a good base, you will find which sport you prefer.
umpalumpalifterIcon...26-07-2016 @ 12:26 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Downset said:Hi guys i am new to the forum.
I follow with interest and appreciation all strength sports(oly weightlifting, strongman and powerlifting) but i am a beginner so i still didnt decide which sport i should train for. I train since 1 year and after trying different lifts, my workouts are now based on my favorites: squats, push presses and deadlifts.
Fact is i need to make a decision and would be awesome to have your opinions.
One day i dream about doing log lifts, the day after i dream of squatting with wraps out of a monolift, but in order to be a powerlifter you have to bench too and i honestly hate it and i dont care to put energy on a lift i dont like. I often think about train only 2 lifts and compete in the future (squat and deadlift 1.5 / 1.8x bw atm) and that could be something more appealing.
I am 24 and novice so i am sorry if i may sound naive.

Looking forward to your replies
Thanks!

Squat, OH press and deadlift - isn't that called a crossfit total Wink
AdamTIcon...26-07-2016 @ 12:51 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Build your gym strength. You could follow a simple 5x5 program. Once you stop making gains with that, move onto something else.

If you train 3 days a week with strength training, you could always pick a day a week and try some strongman/oly lifts on the side.

In fact just add oly lifts to your program. Would do no harm.
BrenWadIcon...26-07-2016 @ 13:07 
Enough was enough. Banned.
Member 6099, 775 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 310
805.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Don't be scared to try different stuff in training. And don't neglect good old fashioned bodybuilding.
DownsetIcon...26-07-2016 @ 13:49 
Member 6095, 16 posts
Thanks guys!
I am following a texas method type of program with the ohp instead of bench. Some rows and lat pull downs .
About the oly lifts i am very interested in the c&j, i guess strongman training has a lot of it but i wouldnt know how to learn that. Also log lift seems very cool.
Ill try to keep on getting strong in general and see where it goes
slimsimIcon...26-07-2016 @ 14:17 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
It can be difficult to learn the oly lifts to a good standard without a decent coach and regular ongoing coaching. Is this something which is available to you?

If not, you might find you make decent progress at first but start stalling after a while due to lack of programming and error control.
BrenWadIcon...27-07-2016 @ 12:27 
Enough was enough. Banned.
Member 6099, 775 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 310
805.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
slimsim said:It can be difficult to learn the oly lifts to a good standard without a decent coach and regular ongoing coaching. Is this something which is available to you?

If not, you might find you make decent progress at first but start stalling after a while due to lack of programming and error control.

Oly lifting is soo hard to become even semi proficient at, and is more akin to sport skill training than strength training in the beginner phase. Good old basic power-bodybuilding will create a bigger and less injury prone foundation than poorly learned olympic lifts imho.
FAT_SAMIcon...03-08-2016 @ 10:07 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Agreed with the above. Do some basic bodybuilding. Gain some serious mass. Watch your squat fly up as you get bigger.
hifiloverIcon...03-08-2016 @ 11:17 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
The basic compound movements are builders and they're proven as well; so why complicate things?!

Squat, benchpress, deadlifts, OH strict and push press, heavy back work, some decent tricep and bicep work...

All basics and anyone in this game has started there and moved on when they've found out where their main strengths lie and also what exercises work best for them!

The simple but proven Bulgarian routine (5 x 5s) would be a great place to start with these exercises...!

Simple, hard and heavy and go from there Happy
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions