REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 201 guests
You are here: HomeForumDownset → View All Posts

View All Posts: Downset

» starting oly lifting at 25 (Go to post)21-10-2016 @ 15:10 
I started training almost almost 2 years ago, before that i only practiced sports when i was a kid(martial arts ). I didnt have a coach when i learned deadlifting squats bench and press. If i Deadlift now id probably make some light mistakes but not bad enough to limit strength. Olympic weightlifting seems like you need to practice technique before to add weight. Now i am learning with only the bar and doing some squats and front squats as assistance. I am not in a hurry but i was just curious. Many learn doing it in a few months, for others it takes years. The coach told me i have good mobility at least Grin
» starting oly lifting at 25 (Go to post)21-10-2016 @ 14:42 
Started weightlifting with the coach this week. She made me start with the snatch and only a broomstick.
I was interested to know how long did it take for you weightlifters to learn the technique and start adding weight on the bar?
» starting oly lifting at 25 (Go to post)15-10-2016 @ 13:27 
Funky_monkey said:If you're healthy and your joints are fine, then no reason why not. The only way to find out is to give it a shot. Train for a year or so before giving up.
Mark Felix is in his 50s and still going strong, abd as far as I know, injury free.

The only thing I can say is look after your joints. Invest in GOOD sleeves.

Thanks. Yes i have been squatting and deadlifting for about 2 years and still didnt have problems with knees or bad back injuries. I have pretty good ankle and shoulder mobility i still have to work on hip mobility though. Trying to do at least 10 minutes of third world squat stretching every day.
About sleeves, rehbands from strengthshop are ok?
» starting oly lifting at 25 (Go to post)14-10-2016 @ 18:34 
Thanks for the nice words guys.
About the coach she is competitive in powerlifting and oly lifting. I want to do a few months with her because i can do it one on one at least at the beginning then move to a normal class.
» starting oly lifting at 25 (Go to post)14-10-2016 @ 17:08 
Hey guys after a few months my interest in olympic weightlifting increased and i found a coach who could train me privately once a week on c&j and snatch. She is also a competitive weightlifter and since it costs me money i would like to know what you think about someone who starts to train for oly lifting at 25.
Is it already too late for me? Of course i dont even think about olympics but being able to join meets in my city in the future would be fun.
Another thing i am pretty much a long legged person. I kinda look like a trex to be honest and most of the people tell me i am not build for it.
» train the Deadlift like a weightlifter (Go to post)06-09-2016 @ 21:22 
Yes from below the knees to above the knees without locking out.

These are the assistance exercises i have in mind and split them in 2 days:
Sldl from ankles to below knees
Rdl from below knees to above
Rack pull
Barbell row
Barbell shrugs
Barbell grip holds 30 seconds
And ab work(hanging leg raises and planks).
Most of them made with 50% of 1rm with reps around 6-10.
» train the Deadlift like a weightlifter (Go to post)06-09-2016 @ 20:05 
My aim right now is to get strong in the Deadlift (my favorite lift) i am actually training it once a week (right now with sheiko as it is working for me).
Hope not to say bulls**t , but i noticed that oly lifters in my gym train the 2 lifts with assistance exercises that train different parts of the movements (push press, hang clean, power clean front squat etc.) And i was wondering if this type of training will benefit someone who wants to compete in deadlift meets.
For example doing good morning or deficit from ankles to knees for strength off the floor, rdl for knees, and rows and shrugs for the lock out with low sets for high reps.
I noticed most powerlifters i see use exercises for isolation and i would like to know what you think about this type of training
» deadlift 3 times a week (Go to post)05-08-2016 @ 22:18 
If i decide to deadlift once a week should i add one day of assistance/ variants like rdl sldl
» diet for vegetarian lifter (Go to post)05-08-2016 @ 21:51 
Been vegetarian for almost 12 years and lifting for a year.. i have been to nutritionists but none of them helped me with a diet for strength.
I basically try to eat without counting calories(although i think is around 3000) but as clean as i can.
I generally eat rice, oat, almonds, peanuts, berries, bananas, 5 eggs a day, cheddar(100g) cottage cheese, veggies ( mostly broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms), milk(250ml) butter, olive oil, and some chocolate. I dont know about macros but fat is pretty high, carbs and protein medium.

Just wanted to know if there are any vegetarian (and non)lifters here who can give me some advice.
Thanks in advance
» deadlift 3 times a week (Go to post)05-08-2016 @ 16:05 
Ok thanks a lot guys.
I guess i will only deadlift twice a week then. One heavy one speed ( monday and friday so there are more days in between) and i will get rid of repetition work.
» deadlift 3 times a week (Go to post)05-08-2016 @ 15:34 
BigMacca said:Deadfiting multiple times a week is perfectly sustainable and productive (even going heavy multiple times a week), but as Mr Kenders has mentioned, this will only be the case if good form is maintained.

If you deadlift with a neutral lumbar spine, then the load is mainly on you glutes / hams / quads and these muscles will pretty much soak up all the punishment you care to throw at them.

If you pull with a flexed / rounded lumbar spine (or worse, start out neutral or hyper extended and go into flexion when pulling), then a lot of the load will be shifted onto you lower back and it is not quite so happy to be abused.

Macca

I have long legs and short torso so my back is not 100% neutral when i initiate the pull but i have never experienced extreme pain, only hamstrings and lower back soreness
» deadlift 3 times a week (Go to post)04-08-2016 @ 22:31 
So would it be best to get rid of the repetitions day and use some variants instead?
» deadlift 3 times a week (Go to post)04-08-2016 @ 21:52 
Just to give an idea of the routine

Heavy day 1
80% 5x2
Speed day 1
65% 8x3
Repetitions day 1
70% 3x8

Heavy day 2
85% 3x2
Speed day 2
70% 6x2
Repetitions 2
80% 3x6

Heavy day 3
90% x 2, 92.5 x1, 95x1, 80% 1+
Speed day 3
75% 5x2
Repetitions day 3
85% 3x5
» deadlift 3 times a week (Go to post)04-08-2016 @ 21:12 
Just wanted to know if it is ok for an advanced novice to deadlift 3 times a week..
Routine based on heavy day(80-95%) speed day(65-80%) and touch and go repetitions (70-85%) followed by some squats, push presses, and bodybuilding assistance work for back and shoulders. Is basically the cube method by brandon lilly but instead of 9weeks is 3 weeks.
I used to deadlift once a week with sheiko type of volume but i feel like i want to deadlift more often.
What do you guys think?
» i need to choose a strength sport (Go to post)26-07-2016 @ 13:49 
Thanks guys!
I am following a texas method type of program with the ohp instead of bench. Some rows and lat pull downs .
About the oly lifts i am very interested in the c&j, i guess strongman training has a lot of it but i wouldnt know how to learn that. Also log lift seems very cool.
Ill try to keep on getting strong in general and see where it goes

You are here: HomeForumDownset → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions