SQ 120, BP 110, DL 125
355.0 kgs @ 67kgs UnEq
Ross Enamait - Infinite Intensity
Ross Enamait - Never Gymless
lukiIcon...18-04-2015 @ 23:11 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Did you do the 7days workout program in Rock, Iron, Steel - Steve Justa Luke?
AMH_PowerIcon...18-04-2015 @ 23:18 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
anything by Fred Hatfield. Not only is he one of the best lifters of all time, but the most knowledgeable.
Luke82Icon...19-04-2015 @ 08:57 
Enjoys his parents fully stocked fridge.
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
luki said:Did you do the 7days workout program in Rock, Iron, Steel - Steve Justa Luke?

No mate never tried that one, are you thinking of giving it a go?
walkerIcon...19-04-2015 @ 10:01 
Does not need Advice, knows everything.
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
AMH_Power said:anything by Fred Hatfield. Not only is he one of the best lifters of all time, but the most knowledgeable.

Dr Squat.. What are his books called?
lukiIcon...19-04-2015 @ 10:33 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:
No mate never tried that one, are you thinking of giving it a go?

Hadn't heard of him before your post. Was looking at his program online from another site. Seems completely different to other programming. Could be fun to try and work on a single lift. Its 11e for the eBook. Worth that?
FazcIcon...19-04-2015 @ 10:45 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
AaronJ said:
Copied and pasted from another forum;
"Nuckols lifted bigger after 3 years of powerlifting as a teenager than 99% of the people on the planet. (755 squat, 475 bench press, and 725 deadlift) He's only had to struggle through minor issues. And all drug tested.
So...here you have a guy who is built for the powerlifts, basically. He's a bit Asbergers-ey, I'd say similar to Lyle, and fails to see the issue when people don't do well on his programs.
He says some s**t both about bench form and squat form that doesn't jive with logical thought...i.e. arms should be perpendicular to the body (and ironically, in a recent bench vid, he looks just as conventional on a 400+ raw bench as anyone else)
So the combination of
1) never had to struggle for strength
2) hyperfocus
3) the arrogance of the young, strong and uninjured
makes you have to filter his s**t pretty hard."

Here's the thing with that quote. It's nonsense.

He didn't hit those numbers after 3 years as a teen.

The fact he can now hit those numbers doesn't make him stupid, this is the most idiotic Internet argument I've ever heard. People like this guy who wrote this seem to think strong guys, really strong guys are just another breed of human. That they are strong just because they are. In reality every really strong guy that I know knows a hell of a lot about training. Every single one.

You don't get that strong by being stupid, it's a pathetic hater argument.
Luke82Icon...19-04-2015 @ 10:54 
Enjoys his parents fully stocked fridge.
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
luki said:
Hadn't heard of him before your post. Was looking at his program online from another site. Seems completely different to other programming. Could be fun to try and work on a single lift. Its 11e for the eBook. Worth that?

Not read his ebook to be honest, only rock iron steel, but 11 quid seems cheap enough. The book I read was an entertaining read, but I never tried one of his programs as written so I can't comment on how well they work or anything like that. I did try his 'before a vacation' workout though and it was brutal!
AaronJIcon...19-04-2015 @ 11:16 
Intolerant of old shtick.
Member 5276, 431 posts
SQ 222, BP 145, DL 265
632.0 kgs @ 96kgs UnEq
Fazc said:
Here's the thing with that quote. It's nonsense.
He didn't hit those numbers after 3 years as a teen.
The fact he can now hit those numbers doesn't make him stupid, this is the most idiotic Internet argument I've ever heard. People like this guy who wrote this seem to think strong guys, really strong guys are just another breed of human. That they are strong just because they are. In reality every really strong guy that I know knows a hell of a lot about training. Every single one.
You don't get that strong by being stupid, it's a pathetic hater argument.

I disagree. Take someone like Guy Djedje (lifts at my gym). The guy was breaking records within a year or so of picking up a barbell. Immensely strong guy (300 squat/dead, 200 bench). He benched 190 within a few months.

Does that mean he knows a lot about getting strong? No. The likelihood is that everything he did worked from the outset. He's never had to overcome any obstacles etc.

IMO the strongest people are often not the most knowledgeable. The other thing is, Nuckols doesn't even take his own advice. He recently wrote an entire diatribe about how more muscle is better etc. and how all the olde real powerlifters trained like bodybuilders and were so much more awesome because of it. Yet Nuckols has a beer belly, 15 inch arms, and doesn't look like he lifts.
FazcIcon...19-04-2015 @ 11:24 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Post Edited: 19.04.2015 @ 11:26 AM by Fazc
AaronJ said:
I disagree. Take someone like Guy Djedje (lifts at my gym). The guy was breaking records within a year or so of picking up a barbell. Immensely strong guy (300 squat/dead, 200 bench). He benched 190 within a few months.
Does that mean he knows a lot about getting strong? No. The likelihood is that everything he did worked from the outset. He's never had to overcome any obstacles etc.
IMO the strongest people are often not the most knowledgeable. The other thing is, Nuckols doesn't even take his own advice. He recently wrote an entire diatribe about how more muscle is better etc. and how all the olde real powerlifters trained like bodybuilders and were so much more awesome because of it. Yet Nuckols has a beer belly, 15 inch arms, and doesn't look like he lifts.

There was a style of training which got really popular around 2000ish called HardGainer training. The basic idea was sound, abbreviated training, sensible routines, focus on progression. The idea being we couldn't apply what Arnie and co did to our own training. Nothing hugely complicated.

But what started off as a good notion turned into a breeding ground for little b**ches whining and complaining about the 'genetically advantaged'. Initially it was pro bodybuilders, then after a while the training sort of self combusted and anyone and everyone who was stronger or fitter was put into this 'genetically advantaged' category. The famous example was Dr Ken, for a long time he was held up as a prime example of someone the Hardgainers could trust. When his video came out of his 400x20 Squat he was trashed by the Hardgainers 'we would break our knees squatting like that!'.

Nowadays the forum is inhabited by a bunch of complete and utter pussies who almost daren't do anything for fear of overtraining and it not being Hardgainer enough.

What your quote described was the exact viewpoint of one of these pussies.

The reality of the matter is that every strong lifter I've talked to, has taught me something. Nuckols has said he's in the process of dropping weight (he's dropped 20lbs so far) while maintaining strength so should be commended not ridiculed.
deleted2_20210523Icon...19-04-2015 @ 11:37 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
JonA81Icon...19-04-2015 @ 11:39 
Member 2216, 2243 posts
walker said:
Dr Squat.. What are his books called?

Powerlifting: a scientific approach.
On Kindle for about a fiver or so.
AaronJIcon...19-04-2015 @ 13:32 
Intolerant of old shtick.
Member 5276, 431 posts
SQ 222, BP 145, DL 265
632.0 kgs @ 96kgs UnEq
Fazc said:
There was a style of training which got really popular around 2000ish called HardGainer training. The basic idea was sound, abbreviated training, sensible routines, focus on progression. The idea being we couldn't apply what Arnie and co did to our own training. Nothing hugely complicated.
But what started off as a good notion turned into a breeding ground for little b**ches whining and complaining about the 'genetically advantaged'. Initially it was pro bodybuilders, then after a while the training sort of self combusted and anyone and everyone who was stronger or fitter was put into this 'genetically advantaged' category. The famous example was Dr Ken, for a long time he was held up as a prime example of someone the Hardgainers could trust. When his video came out of his 400x20 Squat he was trashed by the Hardgainers 'we would break our knees squatting like that!'.
Nowadays the forum is inhabited by a bunch of complete and utter pussies who almost daren't do anything for fear of overtraining and it not being Hardgainer enough.
What your quote described was the exact viewpoint of one of these pussies.
The reality of the matter is that every strong lifter I've talked to, has taught me something. Nuckols has said he's in the process of dropping weight (he's dropped 20lbs so far) while maintaining strength so should be commended not ridiculed.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree. Particularly about the forum Roll-Eyes

I just think that there are lots of strong lifters who are strong despite the training they do, not because of it, and that doesn't necessarily lead to them becoming good coaches.

For example, I remember reading an AMA on reddit with one of the top strongmen (possibly Loz). They mentioned that the first time they ever tried to deadlift, they hit 240kg for something like 12 reps. Already that would put them in the top 2 or 3% of lifters in the world. BUT... after that first workout, although they were immensely strong, they probably wouldn't be a great coach, because they haven't experienced the struggles that every other lifter goes through.
lukiIcon...19-04-2015 @ 14:04 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
kirkynick said:
I've never read the book, but I have read his routines online. I did his singles programme for deadlift i.e. singles EVERY day with 70%, upping reps each day and then starting again and adding 5-10lbs the next week. It made my deadlfit technique really smooth, but boy was it boring Tongue

How much did your deadlift go up? Did you do anything else during this or just deadlift for a year?-)

The ebook link is http://www.easons.com/p-3210355-rock-iron-steel-the-book-of-st...
deleted2_20210523Icon...19-04-2015 @ 14:18 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions