REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 100 guests

Shoulder Flexibility in the Squat

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

hifiloverIcon...24-03-2015 @ 14:20 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
After tearing both my rotator cuffs and still suffering with a duff right shoulder I've used these to good affect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKLVlYt2Ioc

I've also found that specific rotator cuff exercises have helped with overall shoulder mobility as well as 'front squat oly bar roll's'

Basically you take the oly bar out on your shoulders as you would for a front squat, with your hands where they'd normally be and then do single arms roll's with it... You rotate the bar in each hand like youre trying to wind it into your shoulders... I've found it really helps to get my shoulder cradle loosened and I can keep a proper olympic clean lift grip when doing front squats
HamIcon...24-03-2015 @ 14:26 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
hixxy1985 said:when i squat i cannot get my hands or the bar anywhere near where they should be

5mins of forceful and gradual steps to the position and im in. If i can do it anyone can.

Ah Hixxy not everyone is a demigod like you, you see Happy

Seriously though, we are working on it and there is a certain element of just forcing the issue as you say.

Thanks for your input

Loving the 110 db vids....minor off track question...virtual slap me if it's a stupid question:

do you only hold the top position for a short time because it's bloody hard to balance or for another reason?

I ask as it seems that some reps in comp. (not you in particular) are not given due to a short hold...maybe I misunderstand that though...
HamIcon...24-03-2015 @ 14:26 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
hifilover said:After tearing both my rotator cuffs and still suffering with a duff right shoulder I've used these to good affect:

I've also found that specific rotator cuff exercises have helped with overall shoulder mobility as well as 'front squat oly bar roll's'

Basically you take the oly bar out on your shoulders as you would for a front squat, with your hands where they'd normally be and then do single arms roll's with it... You rotate the bar in each hand like youre trying to wind it into your shoulders... I've found it really helps to get my shoulder cradle loosened and I can keep a proper olympic clean lift grip when doing front squats

I like that roll around one. Cheers
little_aIcon...24-03-2015 @ 15:09 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Ham said:
Sadly it's the name of the game....you produce visible results or the client walks...especially if they are in there to look good only....

From a mercenary perspective I would forget the stretching and the squatting. Get them doing bench, side/ front raise, rows, tri's and curls. They'll look (in their mirror anyway) better a lot quicker than a common sense overall workout and continue to pay you the $$$'s for their engorged delts and pecs. If a newbie is struggling with shoulder flexibility in a squat maybe they aren't ready for squats. I feel your pain though.
HamIcon...24-03-2015 @ 16:23 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
little_a said:
From a mercenary perspective I would forget the stretching and the squatting. Get them doing bench, side/ front raise, rows, tri's and curls. They'll look (in their mirror anyway) better a lot quicker than a common sense overall workout and continue to pay you the $$$'s for their engorged delts and pecs. If a newbie is struggling with shoulder flexibility in a squat maybe they aren't ready for squats. I feel your pain though.

There is a part of me that agrees with you but mostly, for the longevity of my career, I wouldn't go that routeHappy

He'll appreciate the flexibility when it reveals itself!
lukiIcon...24-03-2015 @ 16:47 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Front squats while flexibility improves seems the obvious solution here. They'll have great carry over to pulling and back squats and I can't think of a greater motivator to sort mobility than the shoulder flattening pain that is a front squat!-)
lukiIcon...24-03-2015 @ 16:50 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 24.03.2015 @ 16:51 PM by luki
hifilover said:After tearing both my rotator cuffs and still suffering with a duff right shoulder I've used these to good affect:

Is there a way to do the second bit without another person? Maybe use a bar in a rack to push down on instead of them pushing up?
HamIcon...24-03-2015 @ 17:11 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
Front squats are also an issue...the client is a solid mass of ex rugby player with bugger all shoulder and wrist flexibility...onwards with one thing at a time Happy
WILLSANIcon...24-03-2015 @ 18:54 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
People love to over complicate things. Daily stretching, in the positions that you need to flexible in = increased mobility in those positions. If you want faster results do it 2 or 3 times a day. It's as simple as that.
glen_danburyIcon...24-03-2015 @ 19:44 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Ham said:Front squats are also an issue...the client is a solid mass of ex rugby player with bugger all shoulder and wrist flexibility...onwards with one thing at a time Happy

goblet squats, front squats with bodybuilders grip, dumbell squats etc etc until the flexibility improves.

i was always taught to focus on perfect movement thats scaled for their flexibility until it improves

i.e goblet squats &rt;bodybuilder grip fronties &rt; weighlifting grip front squats.client will still reap benefits and progression can be focued on both load and flexibility
HamIcon...25-03-2015 @ 15:33 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
Thanks for the input guys
ScottishIcon...25-03-2015 @ 15:47 
Member 2092, 592 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 123.7kgs UnEq
As a means to an end, would the safety squat bar not be best placed here then so he can still squat with free weights and continue the mobility until a back squat position can be achieved?

http://youtu.be/Ub-TSExU16Y

This Donnie Thompson vid might be a good one to watch
b_rexIcon...25-03-2015 @ 16:12 
jogging bottoms are like sweat pants
Member 935, 972 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 227.5
567.5 kgs @ 97.6kgs UnEq
Ham said:Front squats are also an issue...the client is a solid mass of ex rugby player with bugger all shoulder and wrist flexibility...onwards with one thing at a time Happy

Have him try front squats holding straps, negates the wrist flexibility somewhat.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-front-squat-with-straps

You could also try landmine squats
https://www.t-nation.com/training/best-squat-youre-not-doing

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions