Who's Online - 0 members and 249 guests

Motivation / routine advice / midlife crisis

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

mrbeigeIconMotivation / routine advice / midlife crisis25-02-2014 @ 12:05 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Morning All! Need some motivation, as I've lost the love a little over the last couple of weeks. But I need some advice for my weekly routine.....

I'm dropping my '5km recovery run' from Tuesday lunchtime and my running intervals from Wednesday as I feel that I'm running way too much and it's effecting leg strength (and swoll). I feel like I could be doing better than I am. Soooooo, I need some suggestions for what I can do for conditioning in the Stubliette (my garage gym) that has good carry-over to Strongman. I've been thinking of Tabata, but not sure what exercises. Perhaps also some BB complexes? I need to avoid over training though, so although I want to use weight/plyometrics, I don't want to a) adversely effect strength and b) over-train a particular muscle group.

For a bit of background on my current routine;
Monday and Friday lunchtimes - 3km Tough Mudder style trail run with circuit type exercises ((natural) log squats, log press, pull-ups/chins, pressups/burpees/core work et al.) We train for around 35-40mins and it's pretty high intensity with sprints between 'stations' and 9-10 stations.

Tuesday evening in the gym - (Steep) Incline BP / Deadlift / CGBP / delt accessory work / KB Swings

Thursday evening in the gym - Strict OHP / Squats / Savikas DB Press / BOR+Dips / KC Flyes+Chins

Saturday - Sometimes go to the Pro-Strength in Swindon for an events session. Need to be more religious with this, if I'm honest, but getting the time to do it, isn't easy with family commitments

So, I have Monday/Wednesday/Friday nights for a possible 'short session' in the Stubliette but also time on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday lunchtime to do something. A couple of the guys go out on Tuesday/Thursday lunchtime with TRX, but worried that doing stuff on that will adversely effect the gym session later in the day. Don't want to run, as I think that will and has effected leg strength.

Help! Need Motivation.....need to do more.....need to be hench....need to be STRONG....having a midlife crisis.....
adillon10Icon...25-02-2014 @ 12:25 
Member 3863, 1275 posts
SQ 155, BP 110, DL 182
447.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
mrbeige said:Morning All! Need some motivation, as I've lost the love a little over the last couple of weeks. But I need some advice for my weekly routine.....

I'm dropping my '5km recovery run' from Tuesday lunchtime and my running intervals from Wednesday as I feel that I'm running way too much and it's effecting leg strength (and swoll). I feel like I could be doing better than I am. Soooooo, I need some suggestions for what I can do for conditioning in the Stubliette (my garage gym) that has good carry-over to Strongman. I've been thinking of Tabata, but not sure what exercises. Perhaps also some BB complexes? I need to avoid over training though, so although I want to use weight/plyometrics, I don't want to a) adversely effect strength and b) over-train a particular muscle group.

For a bit of background on my current routine;
Monday and Friday lunchtimes - 3km Tough Mudder style trail run with circuit type exercises ((natural) log squats, log press, pull-ups/chins, pressups/burpees/core work et al.) We train for around 35-40mins and it's pretty high intensity with sprints between 'stations' and 9-10 stations.

Tuesday evening in the gym - (Steep) Incline BP / Deadlift / CGBP / delt accessory work / KB Swings

Thursday evening in the gym - Strict OHP / Squats / Savikas DB Press / BOR+Dips / KC Flyes+Chins

Saturday - Sometimes go to the Pro-Strength in Swindon for an events session. Need to be more religious with this, if I'm honest, but getting the time to do it, isn't easy with family commitments

So, I have Monday/Wednesday/Friday nights for a possible 'short session' in the Stubliette but also time on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday lunchtime to do something. A couple of the guys go out on Tuesday/Thursday lunchtime with TRX, but worried that doing stuff on that will adversely effect the gym session later in the day. Don't want to run, as I think that will and has effected leg strength.

Help! Need Motivation.....need to do more.....need to be hench....need to be STRONG....having a midlife crisis.....

It sounds like you're over complicating it LOADS!

If you don't want to run, don't. Why do you think doing tabata intervals will have a good cross over to strongman?

If you want to be big and hench, lift big on a s**t load of volume. TRX's are great, if you keep the "lunch" session very low volume it shouldn't have too much of an effect on your evening gym session and potentially could have a positive effect.

What do you want to work on most? Do most of your training around this.

What would you like to work on as a second priority? Do some of this too.
stephen9069Icon...25-02-2014 @ 12:37 
Frequents the HOUSE of GAIN.
Member 3836, 4233 posts
SQ 225, BP 200, DL 300
725.0 kgs @ 119kgs UnEq
The bear complex is a good one.

(1 Rep = Power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press)

Do that for 5 rounds and 7 reps and try to add a little weight each round.
mrbeigeIcon...25-02-2014 @ 13:25 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
adillon10 said:
It sounds like you're over complicating it LOADS!
If you don't want to run, don't. Why do you think doing tabata intervals will have a good cross over to strongman?
If you want to be big and hench, lift big on a s**t load of volume. TRX's are great, if you keep the "lunch" session very low volume it shouldn't have too much of an effect on your evening gym session and potentially could have a positive effect.
What do you want to work on most? Do most of your training around this.
What would you like to work on as a second priority? Do some of this too.

Ok, so I may have over complicated somewhat. I wanted to to some conditioning work that didn't involve too much running, so was thinking of Tabata. When I said crossover to Strongman, I meant that doing Tabata with a BB and some weight, rather than say strict cardio based exercises (burpees/tuck jumps etc).

I was thinking that the 'lunchtime' sessions could be advantageous, but was just worried of being detrimental (as the running volume has been)

Priority is strength and conditioning.
mrbeigeIcon...25-02-2014 @ 13:26 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
stephen9069 said:The bear complex is a good one.

(1 Rep = Power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press)

Do that for 5 rounds and 7 reps and try to add a little weight each round.

Cool. Keep 'em coming Grin
BillytheoldIcon...25-02-2014 @ 14:02 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Go on a magical mystery tour! Ride your bike aimlessly to anywhere! Stop when you want! Sit on the curb and observe people. Maybe ride to places you went to as a child! Don't lift until you are ready. Eat clean!
Find a tree and do pull ups if you want to! Scream with your arms spread out on a hill POWER come to me!
This is what i have done! Going through the motions makes me more depressed
FazcIcon...25-02-2014 @ 14:10 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Just get "on".
WiegieboardIcon...25-02-2014 @ 15:02 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11330 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 25.02.2014 @ 15:04 PM by Wiegieboard
Ever considered sandbag training?
Coach Palfrey on facebook has some soul destroying conditioning sessions using limited space and sandbags. Sandbag training is f**kin brutal.

P.s. sand is about 1 pound 50p per 25kg. Duck tape round the bag seals it plenty well.
DrDIcon...25-02-2014 @ 15:07 
#IStandByMillsy
Member 4287, 2614 posts
SQ 300, BP 310, DL 250
860.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
something I have used quite a lot before to do loads of triples with 45s rests between sets. Works for deads, squats and bench wekk IMO, Probably start with ~65% of 1 rep max and build up to 10-20 sets of triples at the end of an appropriate session.
mrbeigeIcon...25-02-2014 @ 19:03 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Billytheold said:Go on a magical mystery tour! Ride your bike aimlessly to anywhere! Stop when you want! Sit on the curb and observe people. Maybe ride to places you went to as a child! Don't lift until you are ready. Eat clean!
Find a tree and do pull ups if you want to! Scream with your arms spread out on a hill POWER come to me!
This is what i have done! Going through the motions makes me more depressed

Magical mystery tour sounds awesome lol

Wiegieboard said:Ever considered sandbag training?
Coach Palfrey on facebook has some soul destroying conditioning sessions using limited space and sandbags. Sandbag training is f**kin brutal.

P.s. sand is about 1 pound 50p per 25kg. Duck tape round the bag seals it plenty well.

Sandbagging sounds Interesting actually. You're not the only one to suggest that. I have an army kitbag I can load with sand for that. Hmmm.

DrD said:something I have used quite a lot before to do loads of triples with 45s rests between sets. Works for deads, squats and bench wekk IMO, Probably start with ~65% of 1 rep max and build up to 10-20 sets of triples at the end of an appropriate session.

So, do you mean to do the triples after my normal routine?
mrbeigeIcon...25-02-2014 @ 19:03 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Fazc said:Just get "on".

As in stop procrastinating?
hifiloverIcon...25-02-2014 @ 19:08 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 25.02.2014 @ 19:10 PM by hifilover
Just train like 'stephen9069' and get yourself prepped for being swole/hench/jacked/tanned and wearing tight swimwear! Grin

In all seriousness why dont you just stick to lifting heavy weights for a few months; cut back on the cardio and do a 5 x 5 routine on the compound lifts and then higher reps to failure on the supporting exercises (curls, tr work, delts etc...)

I got bored of doing the powerlifting routine as that's all I'd really done (and a few injuries set me back) so I now do heavy compound lifts but have really upped my reps with everything else and leave the gym every session feeling 'proper bo'! Wink
DrDIcon...26-02-2014 @ 11:45 
#IStandByMillsy
Member 4287, 2614 posts
SQ 300, BP 310, DL 250
860.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
mrbeige said:
So, do you mean to do the triples after my normal routine?

Yes, so at the end of a normal session, do this. Only takes 10-20 minutes, and get pretty tough after 10 minutes Grin
mrbeigeIcon...26-02-2014 @ 13:35 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
DrD said:
Yes, so at the end of a normal session, do this. Only takes 10-20 minutes, and get pretty tough after 10 minutes Grin

Like it. I'll give this a go tomorrow with my squat routine. Cheers bud
mrbeigeIcon...26-02-2014 @ 13:37 
I was being a spaz!
Member 2961, 1580 posts
SQ 195, BP 120, DL 255
570.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
hifilover said:I got bored of doing the powerlifting routine as that's all I'd really done (and a few injuries set me back) so I now do heavy compound lifts but have really upped my reps with everything else and leave the gym every session feeling 'proper bo'! Wink

So you just do a low rep heavy strength focussed start to the session and end with pump-tastic accessory exercises?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions