REGISTER
 

Verbally abusive drug taking bald person

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

tbenchIcon...27-12-2007 @ 20:57 
Avatar
addicted to bench press, needs help
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
27th Bench & Deads

Usual story, too much crap, too much beer (please note, beer does not fall under ‘crap’, it is a heavenly gift and should be treated as holy, holy delicious that is!) and not enough sleep. I was not looking forward to this one!

Raw Bench
100 x 10
140 x 5 x 4 sets
140 x 2 - Was so tired lol

Close Grip Bench
100 x 10
120 x 8 x 2

Deadlift
220 x 3 x 5

Close grip V-Bar Pulldowns
Stack (approx 130kg ish) x 10 x 3 sets

Be glad to be back into routine again, next comp build up starts on the 27th Jan, gonna be working a lot on flexibility until then to improve my squat and increase the arch in my bench.



strong work as ever Matt what do you do for the flexibility?
MattGriffIcon...28-12-2007 @ 09:55 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
tbench said:

strong work as ever Matt what do you do for the flexibility?


I have been working specifically on adductor, neck and back stretches. I am gradually widening my squat stance bit by bit, I want my feet to ideally touch the sides of the monolift base (about 50-55inches) that way you are using your posterior chain and hips more which are the biggest muscles in the body. The neck stuff is to help keep me upright in the squat and the back stuff is again to help the squat and also to help me increase my arch in the bench, bigger arch = less ROM.
I am not a very flexible person, and I have a few years playing tighthead prop to thank for making my neck stiff as a board more often than not and tearing the ACL in my leg some years back.
I have a database I have compiled from various places regarding stretches and flexibility movements etc and have spoken to a mate who is a physio. Really targeting my squat at the moment, I have a solid bench for my weight and am capable of a better than average deadlift so the squat is most important, well it probably is anyway, first lift, biggest number etc screw that up and its uphill all the way.
tbenchIcon...28-12-2007 @ 17:56 
Avatar
addicted to bench press, needs help
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Thanks for the reply Matt was intrested in what you were doing, im as fleible as a crunchie lol so might try some of the stretching stuff myself cheers mate.
EDCLARKEIcon...28-12-2007 @ 19:37 
Avatar
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 11010 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
what stretches are you doing to improve your arch! my back is very inflexible leading to virtually no arch
so I'd be interested to know which stretches are best for this?
MattGriffIcon...30-12-2007 @ 19:38 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
EDCLARKE said:
what stretches are you doing to improve your arch! my back is very inflexible leading to virtually no arch
so I'd be interested to know which stretches are best for this?


I have been doing a lot of midsection and upper back stretches, side twists, lettimg my torso hang on a hyper machine both front and back, once warmed up a little I also arch on a flat floor, I use a small foot stool with a cushion to arch over at the moment, it seems to be doing the trick for me. Apparently contrary to what I thought it is not predominantly the spine that dictates as this is by nature very flexible, but rather the muscles surrounding it, and muscles can be stretched!
MattGriffIcon...30-12-2007 @ 19:40 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
Post Edited: 30.12.2007 @ 19:40 PM
Squats – 30th Dec

Working on a little wider stance and speed as normal

Raw Squats
140 x 3
180 x 3
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 6

Leg Press
240 warm up x 10
400 x 8
400 x 8
400 x 8

Stiff Leg Deads
100 x 10
100 x 10
140 x 8
BoarIcon...30-12-2007 @ 19:56 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
some top raw squatting there matt !!

hows the form looking ?
EDCLARKEIcon...30-12-2007 @ 21:07 
Avatar
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 11010 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
EDCLARKE said:
what stretches are you doing to improve your arch! my back is very inflexible leading to virtually no arch
so I'd be interested to know which stretches are best for this?


I have been doing a lot of midsection and upper back stretches, side twists, lettimg my torso hang on a hyper machine both front and back, once warmed up a little I also arch on a flat floor, I use a small foot stool with a cushion to arch over at the moment, it seems to be doing the trick for me. Apparently contrary to what I thought it is not predominantly the spine that dictates as this is by nature very flexible, but rather the muscles surrounding it, and muscles can be stretched!


thanks mate will give this a try ! nice squatting!
MattGriffIcon...31-12-2007 @ 00:44 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
Boar said:
some top raw squatting there matt !!

hows the form looking ?


It's getting better, bit by bit. I still need to be wider and more upright as my strong back tends to try to dominate the lift, I am working hard to eliminate this at the moment as at the top end it just won't work too well.
I did actually find when I squatted in my breifs (metal ones, quite high, my big pants!) the belt around the briefs held me far more upright, I would still however prefer to be able to do it raw.
MattGriffIcon...04-01-2008 @ 13:45 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
Bench 02/01

Had a bad case of the man flu today and felt weak as the coffee my better half makes.

Raw bench

100 x 10
140 x 5
145 x 5
150 x 3
155 x 2

Really ran out of steam today, couldn’t get my breath properly which sucked ass!

Did various dumbbell work circuit as a bit of a change, can’t remember the actual weight.

Cross body hammer curl
Hammer curl
One arm Lateral
Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Close Grip Bench

100 x 10 x 3




Deadlifts 03/01/08

Still pants today, but not as bad, or so I thought lol (what a god damn baby, get your violins out for me)

Raw deads

140 x 3
180 x 2
220 x 8
230 x 6
240 x 4
250 x 2

Pulley Row
118.5kg x 10
136kg x

That was it, hacked my lungs up , ate food and slept by about 9pm (just enough time to watch Tez do the business in strongman)
marcIcon...04-01-2008 @ 13:54 
Avatar
Dancing queenfeel the beat from the tambourine
Member 84, 2536 posts
SQ 225, BP 177.5, DL 275
677.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
got a touch of that man flu meself matt..won't train spotting took it out of me thoughGrin hope you don't mind me asking but how far out does lee m start his deadlift cycle for a comp?
MattGriffIcon...04-01-2008 @ 15:28 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
Post Edited: 04.01.2008 @ 16:49 PM
10 weeks, we pull on a Thursday and the cycle starts on a Sunday, he does 9 weeks of lifting then takes about 10 days off before the meet
tbenchIcon...05-01-2008 @ 09:03 
Avatar
addicted to bench press, needs help
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
10 weeks, we pull on a Thursday and the cycle starts on a Sunday, he does 9 weeks of lifting then takes about 10 days off before the meet



lol glad you edited the post Matt he would of needed the 10 days off lolWink Happy
IainKendrickIcon...05-01-2008 @ 12:12 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Nice training Matt.

I have a question regarding rack pulls and the Ed C program I am doing. Where would you add them in? The GM's are meant to be done during the conditioning work at the end of the session. Would you just replace them with rack pulls? I assumed you would not want to max out on them either?
MattGriffIcon...06-01-2008 @ 20:09 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
I would do them in the same place, and do them super fast. Looking at the routine you would probably be good using a weight you can comfortably triple from the floor and going for 5 fast lockouts.

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions