REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 251 guests

Reason For Muscle Tear?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

cowieIconReason For Muscle Tear?19-09-2015 @ 15:43 
Member 3740, 1584 posts
I'm possibly looking to much into this but other folks opinions would be welcome.

Suffered a triceps tendon rupture from my elbow back in June whilst log pressing (was locked out OH when it went snap), had surgery in July and well on the mend now thankfully.

Contributing Factors ???
Was well warmed up/stretched & using SBD sleeves
Wear & tear from 25 years lifting, now aged 44.
Suffered from tendonitis in that elbow last year.
Weight lifted was around 90% of max.
Was performing a push press & the log literally went flying up.
Had deadlifted before pressing which coincidently I had done before tearing my pec on the same side 5 years ago.

Uncommon tear so was I unlucky or do I need to start acting my age?
FazcIcon...19-09-2015 @ 15:51 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Were there any bodyweight fluctuations?

Is assistance in the picture?
cowieIcon...19-09-2015 @ 15:57 
Member 3740, 1584 posts
Fazc said:Were there any bodyweight fluctuations?

Is assistance in the picture?

Same bodyweight for years & natty Happy
SawyersIcon...19-09-2015 @ 16:11 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
cowie said:I'm possibly looking to much into this but other folks opinions would be welcome.

Suffered a triceps tendon rupture from my elbow back in June whilst log pressing (was locked out OH when it went snap), had surgery in July and well on the mend now thankfully.

Contributing Factors ???
Had deadlifted before pressing which coincidently I had done before tearing my pec on the same side 5 years ago.

I tore my right pec major and the long head of my bicep both within 6 months, relatively little experience lifting. Sometimes its a combination of bad luck and being in a bad situation..

Not about tears, but interesting regarding strains.
http://www.strengtheory.com/how-to-prevent-muscle-strains/
RobboIcon...19-09-2015 @ 16:22 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
I would say muscle tightness too. The continual training of the muscle, the process of tearing the fibres, and then repairing can lead to tightness (the fibres not repairing back to the same shape/form as they should) and a good indicator (at least in my experience) has been tendonitis. Although I know that is not something that always occurs prior to a tear, it is still a bloody good indicator imo should you get tendonitis.

I had exactly the same problem with tricep tendonitis, wasted £300 on a top rugby physio, acupuncture, ultrasound, the full works, to no avail.

One session of deep tissue massage and the problem that prevented me from pressing for 6 months had gone, due to a mega tight tricep. The guy told me I was close to a tear either in the muscle belly or at the attachment
DeanW92Icon...19-09-2015 @ 16:54 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.09.2015 @ 16:54 PM by DeanW92
Deep tissue massages are the shizz, after a pulled muscle they get you back to normal much faster than without and if you keep up with them they will prevent tightness and therefore injury as robbo said.

Iv been telling myself i need a few sessions and jst not got round to it, ended up pulling my hamstring the other night and probably could have avoided it.
BillytheoldIcon...19-09-2015 @ 17:24 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Give it time. I'm 52 and for me recovery takes lots more time.there are only few of us so hang in there brother of iron. Eventually you will not have anyone for you to compete with and then things get very shady.
AMH_PowerIcon...19-09-2015 @ 17:48 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
cowie said:I'm possibly looking to much into this but other folks opinions would be welcome.

Contributing Factors ???

Common reasons I know:
Calorie deficit
Water retention
Water depletion
Adhesion build up
Tendonosis - common
Tendonitis - pretty rare despite claims
Technique

Some tears are when the weight is unloaded and held on human joint restrictions with mechanical advantage...then a subtle change causes mininal to maximal loading in a very short time, and the spindle effect can engage without a conscious effort of self preservation....

Example...

Leg press, you lockout and hold the weight through the joint with seemingly minimal effort, you then slightly flex the knee joint, and loading rockets causing the quadricep to engage at a very very fast rate, and without all the synergists engaged, could cause a quad or patella tendon tear.

Given that the load moved fast, this could be what happened...not using sleeves on the elbows will place more stress in the tendon throughout...but carry a smaller risk of a spindle induced tear like here due to lower loading and a bigger demand on synergists
cowieIcon...20-09-2015 @ 06:34 
Member 3740, 1584 posts
Some good info and food for thought for sure, thanks lads.
FAT_SAMIcon...25-09-2015 @ 03:33 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Dehydration.
Biggest cause of injury in my opinion.
Training early in the morning is the worst for it I reckon.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions