Who's Online - 1 member and 334 guests

Pre-Workout Food: Whats your favourite?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Martin_JonesIcon...23-07-2010 @ 13:30 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Big_Gray said:
yeah nutrition seems to be an after thought on here for most even a joke to some.
yeah i competed for 3 years solid at bodybuilding, first timers 2007, novice 2008 then mr or superheavy weights 2009. entered 16 comps in total, local and national and never placed outside the top 3, highlights were 1st place mr england and qualifying for the british champs amongst others.
switched to strongman 3 months ago as we had a baby n a holiday so couldnt commit to a 4 month comp diet, loving it tho n gonna stick at it. qualified fot the uk north finals in august.

I take it that was UKBFF. My missus used to compete for NABBA in trained figure.
JoniIcon...23-07-2010 @ 13:34 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Martin_Jones said:
Joni you will find that bodybuilding nutrition is the corner stone of most top athletes. The principles never change they just need tweeking to suit the sportmans output.

did you read what kind of diet olympic champion swimmer Phelps has? Just as an example. Steve already alluded that some of the strongest people in UK certainly didnt bother with diet plans.

bodybuilding bulls**t of stressing about minutae of every piece of nutrition and filling online forums with all kinds of discussion about it as it was the one and only thing between you and becoming BIG AND RIPPED is far from that.

Similarly its obsessive reliance on supplementation which comes from just following what the BB idols say when they work for the supplement industry.

But perhaps we view what "bodybuilding diet" means very differently.
CuddlesIcon...23-07-2010 @ 13:34 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Martin_Jones said:
Joni you will find that bodybuilding nutrition is the corner stone of most top athletes.

See, I see it differently. You'll find that normal common sense nutrition is the cornerstone of bodybuilding nutrition.

And before anyone gets ants in their pants, that isn't remotely a slight on bodybuilders. What they do is good, common sense basic nutrition applied diligently and monotonously. They know what works and they do it, over and over again.
That doesn't make it complicated though.

The athletes that I know, in various sports, do pretty much the same, they didnt borrow from bodybuilding, they borrowed from good basic nutrition.
Martin_JonesIcon...23-07-2010 @ 13:50 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
See, I see it differently. You'll find that normal common sense nutrition is the cornerstone of bodybuilding nutrition.
And before anyone gets ants in their pants, that isn't remotely a slight on bodybuilders. What they do is good, common sense basic nutrition applied diligently and monotonously. They know what works and they do it, over and over again.
That doesn't make it complicated though.
The athletes that I know, in various sports, do pretty much the same, they didnt borrow from bodybuilding, they borrowed from good basic nutrition.

Yes I agree completely. The fact that I and others tend to call it bodybuilding nutrition is not true. It's basic good dieting and manipulation of foods.

I understand why bodybuilders do what they do and I also have a fairly good insight into theirs deiting, but I would never compete in the sport. It's not for me.
Martin_JonesIcon...23-07-2010 @ 13:55 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Joni said:
did you read what kind of diet olympic champion swimmer Phelps has? Just as an example. Steve already alluded that some of the strongest people in UK certainly didnt bother with diet plans.
bodybuilding bulls**t of stressing about minutae of every piece of nutrition and filling online forums with all kinds of discussion about it as it was the one and only thing between you and becoming BIG AND RIPPED is far from that.
Similarly its obsessive reliance on supplementation which comes from just following what the BB idols say when they work for the supplement industry.
But perhaps we view what "bodybuilding diet" means very differently.

Yeah I see what you are saying. There does appear to be this bulls**t approach that bodybuilders have a special diet, but As in my other reply it's not true.

The term loosely thrown around, by me admitently, is the wrong terminalogy. But if you follow a bodybulders off season plan you can't go far wrong.

For me a good diet has paid off, I'm not the most gifted of people so need to make sure every step is right, or close enough.
JoniIcon...23-07-2010 @ 13:58 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
mate i have no doubt you get gains from your diet, not disputing that.

And admittedly i am biased about anything with the word "bodybuilding" in it Grin

but too often the danger is that guys in strength sports which is a performance based sport take ideas from bodybuilding which is an aesthetic based discipline with very little in common apart from some of the tools like a barbell which seems to get people confused that there is a connection.
mikehowarthIcon...23-07-2010 @ 14:05 
Not so much as forgotten as can't remember
Member 894, 4924 posts
SQ 245, BP 167.5, DL 272.5
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Martin_Jones said:
Joni you will find that bodybuilding nutrition is the corner stone of most top athletes. The principles never change they just need tweeking to suit the sportmans output.
Prehaps if we called it the preferred nutrition instead of bodybuilding. That way people would think different.

Too late for that

bodybuilding diet=fantastic for bodybuiling

this thread is about pre workout

another thread such be put up about wider nutrition and maybe put glenn ross' video up
SteveIcon...23-07-2010 @ 14:13 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Martin_Jones said:
Maybe!!! but to a lot diet makes a big difference. I for one would not of achieved what i have with out solid nutrition.

How do you know that nutrition has made such a difference? If you believe it will make a big difference then it almost certainly will.

Surely if diet was so important then strength athletes from less well off countries should potentially be at a big disadvantage and yet for years they have dominated the world of weightlifting.
Martin_JonesIcon...23-07-2010 @ 14:47 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Steve said:
How do you know that nutrition has made such a difference? If you believe it will make a big difference then it almost certainly will.
Surely if diet was so important then strength athletes from less well off countries should potentially be at a big disadvantage and yet for years they have dominated the world of weightlifting.

Trail and error is how I know.... it doesn't take years to work out whether something is right or not.

Good simple food does not have to be expensive, and in most less well of countries there cost of food is less.
Martin_JonesIcon...23-07-2010 @ 14:51 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
mikehowarth said:
Too late for that
bodybuilding diet=fantastic for bodybuiling
this thread is about pre workout
another thread such be put up about wider nutrition and maybe put glenn ross' video up

??? why's it to late? it's my opinion.

So we can't digress a little??

Glenn used to be a bodybuilder years ago, he just eats more food nowadays. PLus last year he lost 5 stone in weight to get fitter and perhaps stronger.
mikehowarthIcon...23-07-2010 @ 15:07 
Not so much as forgotten as can't remember
Member 894, 4924 posts
SQ 245, BP 167.5, DL 272.5
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
because previously the term "bodybuilding diet" had been used which confused and also implicated other than well used nutritional advice and practice as cuddles stated.

personally, anybody who doesn't live to a wider healthy approach regarding food is robbing themselves. sport or no sport.
martinbIcon...23-07-2010 @ 15:21 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
mikehowarth said:

personally, anybody who doesn't live to a wider healthy approach regarding food is robbing themselves. sport or no sport.

right on the money

and Joni, if Phelps does eat the way the papers say, I'd love to see the state of him when he hits 50, if he makes it that far.
shanejerIcon...23-07-2010 @ 23:34 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
I am willing to bet that most top athletes in any sport have spot on nutrition ..

Ye there will be some exceptions, mainly IMO ectomorphs, as they can stay very lean and keep high energy levels by just intaking great amounts of food.

Think the top strongmen can maintain there muscle mass without proper nutrition?
JoniIcon...24-07-2010 @ 08:02 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
shanejer said:I am willing to bet that most top athletes in any sport have spot on nutrition ..

absolutely, but i am willing to bet they are as different as nutrition plan can be from bodybuilding diets.
Big_GrayIcon...24-07-2010 @ 12:55 
another lover of conans wheel
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
Joni said:
absolutely, but i am willing to bet they are as different as nutrition plan can be from bodybuilding diets.

u have real hang up bout bodybuilding n its blinding u from the obvious. nutrition is key in strongman.

bodybuilders and strongman consume high carbs high protein n mod to high fats.

strongmen measure n weigh there food less and are not as strict but the principles are the same.

and just to annoy u further the greatest strongman ever looks and is built like a bodybuilder Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions