Who's Online - 0 members and 208 guests

Pre-Workout Food: Whats your favourite?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Beard_Of_IronIcon...22-07-2010 @ 11:05 
Head of Department, Ministry of Beards
Member 580, 2634 posts
SQ 210, BP 115, DL 266
591.0 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
martin I would think that your preworkout coffee and malto/dextrose shake during training would be fine to get you through the workout especially if you train so soon after waking up.

then you can have your former breakfast shake as post workout nutrition. Happy
Big_GrayIcon...22-07-2010 @ 11:19 
another lover of conans wheel
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
martinb said:Big_Gray, I get up at 6.45 and am at the gym by 7.30, usually have 50 grams powdered oats, 10 grams honey, a banana, half a pint of whole milk, and a double espresso about 7, then a shake of 50 grams maltodextrin and 10 grams dextrose through my training.

Got any better suggestions for someone who trains early like me?

your a difficult one Grin all ways tough get straight up and train.

main point here is your fuel for the day and the workout will come mainly from what u took the day before.

your breakfast is ok tho no protein and very close to training, surprised your not sick or sluggish training on a full stomach like that mate.

if i was doing what u are then i would have a banana, some caffiene, an apple and some whey protein soon as get up then train and sip on water with some dextrose. then have post workout shake as normal and have my oats n usual breakfast soon as shake settled n digested
shanejerIcon...22-07-2010 @ 11:50 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Big_Gray said:
your a difficult one Grin all ways tough get straight up and train.
main point here is your fuel for the day and the workout will come mainly from what u took the day before.
your breakfast is ok tho no protein and very close to training, surprised your not sick or sluggish training on a full stomach like that mate.
if i was doing what u are then i would have a banana, some caffiene, an apple and some whey protein soon as get up then train and sip on water with some dextrose. then have post workout shake as normal and have my oats n usual breakfast soon as shake settled n digested

Eating oats an hour and half / 2 hours before workout is not going to create much of an insulin spike compared to a pre workout sugary drink or something.

I find having something to eat this far apart means i am more sensitive to stimulants come workout time and will be able to take advantage of a bigger insulin spike post workout
shanejerIcon...22-07-2010 @ 11:53 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
There are a lot of things to figure in when it comes to pre workout meals. Complex vs simple, slow vs fast acting (yes, they are different), low GI and high GI, etc... You want to time it so that the body is utilizing glycogen (carbs) from the moment you step foot into the gym, until you cant lift another weight. By taking in a complex carb an hour to hour and half prior to your workout, the food will be digested and circulating in the blood steam as well as crossing over into the muscles. Before any remaining carbs can be stored as fat, they are either burned directly in the blood stream or pulled from the muscles before they can be converted to fat. If your workouts are particularly hard and perhaps endurance work is incorporated, then adding in fast acting carbs around 30minutes all the way up til your workout can also be a great benefit to ensure that glycogen is not pulled from the liver to allow proper energy levels to sustain protein synthesis post workout.
And of course, we all know why protein is needed as circulating aminos will be working their way into the muscles slowing protein oxidation during the workout and make nitrogen replenishment that much more effective with your post workout protein intake.
JCIcon...22-07-2010 @ 11:59 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
As with most nutrition, I would say:-

f**k the science, eat something you like as long as its got lots of carbs a few hrs before so it has time to 'settle' on the stomach

Some caffeine immdeiately before/during and your good to go

Just IMO
StetecIcon...22-07-2010 @ 12:00 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Big_Gray said:
why oats mate? slow burning complex carb that wont be used till after workout n nexy day

Not sure really tbh, I have 2 drinks like that per day, one before workout and one after. They make me feel full for longer so I'm less likely to snack on junk which I'm terrible for. So best to have a belly full of oats than donuts! Though not as tasty...

Trying to lay off junk food really, I want to be strong but be in good shape at same time.
StetecIcon...22-07-2010 @ 12:01 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Good quality multi vitamins worthwhile too, especially with loads of B vitamins. Strong coffee helps.
CuddlesIcon...22-07-2010 @ 14:46 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
JC said:As with most nutrition, I would say:-

f**k the science, eat something you like as long as its got lots of carbs a few hrs before so it has time to 'settle' on the stomach

Some caffeine immdeiately before/during and your good to go

Just IMO

Simple, but completely true!
martinbIcon...22-07-2010 @ 15:08 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
It seems weird to me that so many people on this site put so much time and effort in to their training, and so much money in to competing, but as soon as a nutritional issue comes up their answer is always that it doesn't matter

People will try any training method or "supplement" to get that few extra % out of themselves, but for some reason will not show the same attitude to nutrition

I just don't get it
CuddlesIcon...22-07-2010 @ 15:24 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Actually for me, it's completely the opposite. Having chatted about the issue with a number of exceptional scientists, under their guidance I have come to the conclusion that actually it doesn't really matter.

If you turn up to a training session well hydrated, well rested with adequate energy stores you have your bases covered. Most will accomplish this with a normal, balanced diet IMO.

Feel free to do/buy/eat/drink what you like, I'm just giving my opinion based on what I know. I am sure you will do exactly the same.
JoniIcon...22-07-2010 @ 15:26 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:Actually for me, it's completely the opposite. Having chatted about the issue with a number of exceptional scientists, under their guidance I have come to the conclusion that actually it doesn't really matter.

If you turn up to a training session well hydrated, well rested with adequate energy stores you have your bases covered. Most will accomplish this with a normal, balanced diet IMO.

Feel free to do/buy/eat/drink what you like, I'm just giving my opinion based on what I know. I am sure you will do exactly the same.

your approach doesnt create a multi billion transnational industry though!
CuddlesIcon...22-07-2010 @ 15:29 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Correct, but it allows me to fund a different one.
JCIcon...22-07-2010 @ 15:33 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:If you turn up to a training session well hydrated, well rested with adequate energy stores you have your bases covered. Most will accomplish this with a normal, balanced diet IMO.

Agreed. Hydration, more than nutrition, probably has a bigger effect on your ability to train well
Big_GrayIcon...22-07-2010 @ 20:45 
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
martinb said:It seems weird to me that so many people on this site put so much time and effort in to their training, and so much money in to competing, but as soon as a nutritional issue comes up their answer is always that it doesn't matter

People will try any training method or "supplement" to get that few extra % out of themselves, but for some reason will not show the same attitude to nutrition

I just don't get it

here here mate but falls on def ears lol
Big_GrayIcon...22-07-2010 @ 20:47 
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
shanejer said:
Eating oats an hour and half / 2 hours before workout is not going to create much of an insulin spike compared to a pre workout sugary drink or something.
I find having something to eat this far apart means i am more sensitive to stimulants come workout time and will be able to take advantage of a bigger insulin spike post workout

i never said oats an hour or 2 before would mate you have mis read my friend in fact your quote is way off what i said. i know what im talking bout n it def wasnt that

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions