Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsOld man joining in with the kids!

Old man joining in with the kids!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

mr4130
Seeing as I have signed up for my first comps, I guess a journal would be the best way to log how close (or far) I am away from being on target! Plus theres plenty of people to point out where I am going wrong (besides George pointing out in the gym that I am a pygmy!)

Bit of background.. Im the wrong side of 39, did the usual BB based routines up until December when I joined Pro Strength and Fitness, Swindon. Saw them doing event training on a Saturday morning and had to join in!

First comp will be the Royal Berkshire comp in April, Novice class.
mr4130
Last couple of weeks, training had been going really well!

Didnt really do any overhead pressing before mid December when I joined this gym, so took some getting used to!
Recently have hit 220kg deadlift off the floor, 260kg off 18", 110kg loglift and pressed the 90kg block for 3 reps.
When I joined the gym in December it was 190kg deadlift, never done 18"s, and struggled on the 60kg log!!
So Im more than happy with my progress - but theres some seriously good guys that come and train on a Saturday morning, so I cant help but wish it was more!

Up until this week had been sticking to a very basic training routine (squats Monday, Pressing on Tuesday or Weds, Deadlifts and technique on a Thursday) and it had been working well.
For some reason this week I got a bit carried away with ego, new pieces of kit and training with people half my age!

Tried for PBs on squat, bench and various other bits of kit over the week - and woke up yesterday feeling like someone had kicked the absolute crap out of me! Ha ha, that will teach me!

So anyway, event training this morning.
Started on log and straight away the log didnt feel right. Back and neck was tight, and elbows were sore!
80kg - fine
90kg - fine, but felt light headed after.
100kg - the clean felt like hell! There was nothing there! And when I finally get it to the press position, I push it and backwards and my legs give way.
Felt like a complete dick sat on the floor with a blood red face and head spinning!
Took 10 mins out, and then went back.
100kg - fine
105kg - it got there, but again the clean felt absolutely impossible!
110kg - got to the clean and gave up. No way was it going to the chin!

Viking Press
60kg - 10 reps
80kg - 9 reps
100kg - 7 reps
That felt alright, but after each set the elbows felt "hollow"!

Yoke
120kg - fine
160kg - fine
200kg - not so fine, but completed the course.
240kg - lets just say i did 15 metres there and 15 metres back. Not in 1 go. And not in a time that I wanted to hear!

And that was me done (literally) for the day.

The moral of this weeks training is stick to a program thats working for me, remember how long I take to recover. And most importantly, dont be a dick and try and beat everything in one week in the gym!!
deleted2_20210523
deleted
mr4130
You called me young, you are now officially my favourite strongman in the world ever lol!!

Just read your journal, brilliant stuff!
Welcome. Keep her lit!

Enjoying strongman more than bb?
mr4130
Enjoying it so much more than BB! Theres so much more involved than just static, standstill, move one muscle.
Less divas and more banter as well, so thats always a good thing!

So much to learn though!

Cant wait til the first comp!
you're never too old to strength train, look at mark felix, still getting stronger at 45 Wink
BOOM
mr4130
Oh yeah, the hardest part of event training is knowing the right time to use a "BOOM" or a "Yeah Buddy!".
The most uncomfortable part of strongman training is the sexual tension between Adam and George! How anyone can get a log PB while Adam is thrusting his groin in his denim hotpants is beyond me!
mr4130
Have spent today doing exactly what my nutrition coach / physio / masseur tells me to do.

(which basically means the good lady wife has been feeding me loads of food, rubbing my sore traps and making me sit with my feet up watching the rugby as she says I deserve a rest!!!)
mr4130
Post Edited: 12.03.2012 @ 21:33 PM by mr4130
Tonights training

Pause Squats

Loads of warm up
120 x 5
140 x 5
160 x 3
170 x 3
170 x 3
160 x 3
160 x 3
140 x 5
120 x 5

First time I had done pause squats, but felt quite nice. Had to stick to plan of not going too heavy as this is meant to be the deload week.

Farmers
30mtrs with 60k per side
30mtrs with 100k per side
30mtrs with 100k per side

Grip was fine, but left ankle is feeling funny from yoke at the weekend so will need to keep an eye on that.

Felt good after the abysmal session on Saturday, so just need to stick to plan and not overdo it Mon - Fri!
mr4130
Tonights training:-

Log.
No intention of going heavy, needed to practice how to lift the damn thing again!
Lots and lots of singles with the 80kg log, a few sets of doubles and triples, and then a set of 7 reps.

Also did a small set of deadlifts off blocks
120 x 5
160 x 5
200 x 3
220 x 3
240 x 1

At this point my elbows / forearms are killing me from the log. I cant work out what it is, it feels like a bizarre arm pump that starts in my elbow (inside) and runs down my forearm.
It may be a stupid question, but can elbow sleeves be too tight? And if so, do you reckon its to blame?
Or is it simply too heavy, too soon, too often!
slimsim
mr4130 said:Have spent today doing exactly what my nutrition coach / physio / masseur tells me to do.

(which basically means the good lady wife has been feeding me loads of food, rubbing my sore traps and making me sit with my feet up watching the rugby as she says I deserve a rest!!!)

Piss Off! I don't believe anyone has a wife that's that good to them! Grin

I know mine certainly isn't! She tells me housework between sessions will help with DOMS! Unhappy

Those weights on the paused squats look pretty tasty!

I think wraps/sleeves can be too tight. The one and only time I wore knee wraps my calves got a massive pump on them as though the blood could get in but not out, kinda thing.
mr4130
Haha, must admit I am about as lucky as it can get with the wife. She always makes sure I am eating enough, always has food ready in the fridge for me in case I get hungry, and she can pretty much quote any WSM from the last 10 years! Yeah, Im a lucky bugger on that one!

Loved the paused squats - was tempted to go heavier to see how it felt, but I need to keep to plan and this weeks plan was to not push it.

Thinking you may be right on the sleeves. I have to get someone to help me get them on and its like someone putting a bench shirt on, they are too tight!
mr4130
Right... havent trained since Tuesday and the forearms feel great. In fact, they feel better since Tuesdays painfest than they have in probably the last 3 or 4 months! Whats that about?

So the dilemma is, do I skip event training tomorrow so that I dont train til Tuesday (which will mean they will have had 7 days rest) or do I train on the basis that the forearms feel good??

Damn, I hate having to make decisions!!

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsOld man joining in with the kids!
Return to top View Desktop Site