Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNHS Health Check

NHS Health Check

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JC said:I'm morbidly obese and have been for years. Many say BMI is bulls**t although this is not strictly true

Whether your mass is muscle mass of fat mass, the fact that you are overweight puts added strain on your heart

Most of you will be dead by 50. If your over 50 already, you will be dead very soon

BMI is what it is I guess. A Body Mass Index. So it is right what it is calculating but I think some people pay too much attention to it and others don't give a s**t about it. At the end of the day if you can do the bleep test and get to level 10/11 I would say you are pretty fit. But again of course being able to do this at 30 stone, does that mean you are hurting your heart more and wearing it out more? Does the heart only have so many beats before it dies?

Ah well. Time for some cake.
Fatpete said:43.6

Trouble is that if you ever require surgery they may refuse to put you under the knife because of it

i would say thats bulls**t peter, when i had my operation for my skin graft, they asked my weight, i was 156kg at the time, their only response was, well you will take alot of anaesthetic
goodwinm said:
You gonna tell us who you are yet mate or what your upto? Strongman? Powerlifting?
Your first post was disagreeing with Griff. lol (not that disagreeing with Griff isn't allowed, just a bit strange is all for your first post with no introduction.)

Atkins is my mortal enemy.

I oft upset him with my carb loaded meals, although I though Dr Fatkins died at about 18st with his favourite snake courtesy of homer simpson

"Butter up that bacon boy!!!, and Bacon up that sausage!!!"
MattGriff said:

mmmmmmmmm' butter and bacon and sausage.

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ETNc90p_gd8/SgwmXjlVFeI/AAAAAAAAK4U/...
goodwinm said:
At the end of the day if you can do the bleep test and get to level 10/11 I would say you are pretty fit.

How fit you are does not always reflect heart/general health though

Recently Marc Vivien Foe, 2 Wakefield Rugby League players (I'm sure there are more examples) have died from heart problems, whilst being fir as a butchers dog
Post Edited: 22.01.2010 @ 10:51 AM by Boar
when i got down to 75kg .....(still classed as overweight for my height) people where looking at me like:

shall i ask him if he's ill , or been 'diagnosed'

i dreadd to think how unwell id look if i got to a healthy weight !!

its tough to know how healthy your heart is ...how can we find out if being fit isnt enough ?

i quite like the 'how fast does the heart recover after intense exersise' that must be a good marker ?
I would have to lose around 4 stone to be a healthy weight according to the chart. I would look dead if i was 11 stone.
Post Edited: 22.01.2010 @ 10:49 AM by goodwinm
JC said:
How fit you are does not always reflect heart/general health though
Recently Marc Vivien Foe, 2 Wakefield Rugby League players (I'm sure there are more examples) have died from heart problems, whilst being fir as a butchers dog

Yes it is crazy how guys like that can die but it isn't exactly really common is it? or is it?
The heart is a muscle so would it not get bigger and stronger too or am I confused or does the heart work differently to other muscles?

More questions. Sorry, lol. I know we aint doctors. Just very curious and intriguing. Edit: and terrifying. I don't want to die at 50! Eek
hey i think there is confusion of how people will react and see you (culturally defined) and healthy bodyweight (medically and statistically determined).

So aye, healthy weight people will look f**king skinny especially to someone coming from our little subculture, but thats just the way it is.

I dont think doctors should change the BMI recommendations upwards just to appease what is seen as normal weight these days. The whole point is that "normal weight" has grown massively in past few decades.
dr_hazbun
lol I'm a doctor (and a sexy one at that) and I don't really know the answer.

I am a surgeon though, and seeing that I've had no business with anything above the diaphragm for the last 5 years, I'm probably the least qualified to comment on cardiovascular health.

All I know is that cardiovascular profiling is very difficult to assess. Yes, there are obvious things like smoking and exercise but (I think) there's plenty of interest in cardiovascular circles in the importance of family history and genetics. If you have a poor cardiovascular family history ie strokes, MI's etc then you probably have to more careful with your lifestyle.

One of the lads I occasionally train with is a cardiologist. I'll see what he has to say about high BMIs in athletes and their relevance to cardiovascular health.
Post Edited: 22.01.2010 @ 11:03 AM by goodwinm
dr_hazbun said:lol I'm a doctor (and a sexy one at that) and I don't really know the answer.

I am a surgeon though, and seeing that I've had no business with anything above the diaphragm for the last 5 years, I'm probably the least qualified to comment on cardiovascular health.

All I know is that cardiovascular profiling is very difficult to assess. Yes, there are obvious things like smoking and exercise but (I think) there's plenty of interest in cardiovascular circles in the importance of family history and genetics. If you have a poor cardiovascular family history ie strokes, MI's etc then you probably have to more careful with your lifestyle.

One of the lads I occasionally train with is a cardiologist. I'll see what he has to say about high BMIs in athletes and their relevance to cardiovascular health.

Thanks for your input mate. Would be good to get some more docs view on this. My doctor seems to just talk s**t whenever I mention anything regarding lifting weights and training etc and just straight away says 'You're overweight, you need to lose weight' but not the exact reasons as to why. Says that I shouldn't be using weights at all and I should be on the cardio machines 'treadmill, bike and rower'. to**er. Or maybe his is right lol
Atkins
MattGriff said:
Atkins is my mortal enemy.
I oft upset him with my carb loaded meals, although I though Dr Fatkins died at about 18st with his favourite snake courtesy of homer simpson

It was water retention. I think somebody must have force feed me carbsAngry
JC said:
Whether your mass is muscle mass of fat mass, the fact that you are overweight puts added strain on your heart

Most of you will be dead by 50. If your over 50 already, you will be dead very soon

You've got me all worried now, JC!!
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
You've got me all worried now, JC!!

LOL. To be perfectly fair goodwin, a lot of open strongman, whilst heavily muscled, are still carrying far too much bodyfat to be classed as 'healthy' IMO
Post Edited: 22.01.2010 @ 11:40 AM by Carl
its all a load of bollox you will die when your ready to

my nan died at 54, she was healthy, she died from an aortic Aneurysm from a weakening of the artery wall that no one knew about until she died, she didnt smoke, didnt drink, walked around 5 miles a day as part of her job and ate a reasonable diet

my grandad on the other side of my family, has been an alcoholic for 10 years, smokes 60 a day, has smoked since he was 12 and is nearly 70, is scottish and eats loads of deep fried stuff (what with being scottish and all)

so what do you do??

crack on and do what you wanna do i reckon

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNHS Health Check
Return to top View Desktop Site