REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 424 guests

My thoughts on the Smolov squat cycle

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

McMuffin_GainsIconMy thoughts on the Smolov squat cycle04-10-2015 @ 14:32 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Post Edited: 04.10.2015 @ 14:33 PM by McMuffin_Gains
So I have just run the Smolov squat cycle for 5 weeks. I did the first two weeks which are designed to get you in the groove and then proceeded to do 3 of the 4 weeks from phase two.

The last raw max I hit was a few months ago and this was 230kg WITH WRAPS.

I decided if I ever want to get into PL properly then I really need to use sleeves at most as after trying a bit of EQ lifting I just don't think it's for me.

Now I've cut phase 2 short by a week as my little calf niggle has turned into quite a nasty soleus strain. I have had the last 4 days off completely and been in to attempt a PR and put an end to my Smolov experience.

After only 5 weeks I hit a 240kg squat with just belt and SBD's, it felt easy and had my calf not have been so sore I would have definitely gone for more, massive results! Instagram linky to video

However - Things I have found..

• It is VERY hard work and you need to be motivated to push on through the workouts when you've already had enough.
  • It will kick the s**t out of your body. It is a constant battle to stay mobile during Smolov the sheer volume tightens everything up, hips, quads, flexors, hamstrings, calfs, ankles, lower back, everything basically!
  • If you have a 'niggle' at the start, no matter how small it will be a lot, lot worse come the end of it
  • Rest is important. You may look at Smolov on paper and worry about how little you will be doing for everything else and then go on to make the mistake of adding extra work in like I did in the first couple of weeks but you soon come to realise you need all that time off inbetween to recover.
  • You cannot deadlift AT ALL doing Smolov. I thought it would worry me neglecting such a big lift but hell no! You soon realise Smolov gives your lower back an absolute pasting as it is, much soreness will follow!
Overall conclusion is pretty much overkill for most lifters, including myself, unless seriously chemically assisted perhaps. If you want to try it then you will get results but you need to be prepared to bring your 'A Game' as it is not a program to be taken on half heartedly!
AMH_PowerIcon...04-10-2015 @ 14:54 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
I achieved 2 weeks and failed; couldn't recover to the demand
SawyersIcon...04-10-2015 @ 15:02 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
I did the base cycle a while ago. Put 20kg on my squat and 15kg on my deadlift in 3 weeks. I attribute a lot of that to actually practicing the skill of squatting.

I also think there are a lot more intelligent ways to make similar progress, there is nothing inherently magical about smolov, its just high intensity, high frequency and moderate to high volume, which, if you're coming from the other end of the spectrum, then it will probably yield a positive outcome.
SparrowIcon...04-10-2015 @ 18:55 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
I did the base cycle and added 0 to my squat.

It is moderate intensity, high frequency and very high volume.

My thoughts are that if you respond well to volume you will do well on it. However, I also think volume should be built over time, so it is far more work than most people require, and could end up being too much for some people (like it was for me).
KevC86Icon...04-10-2015 @ 20:28 
Member 5141, 4206 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
probably the easiest PB lift I have ever seen.
McMuffin_GainsIcon...04-10-2015 @ 20:39 
Member 5366, 1090 posts
KevC86 said:probably the easiest PB lift I have ever seen.

Cheers, yeah it does look easy and it wasn't too bad, I'd of loved to carry on going and thought I had 250 in me easy but with every lift my calf was hurting worse and worse to the point where after I'd racked the bar on this one I was limping away.

Booked in with soft tissue guy on Tuesday, no amount of icing, self manipulation, rolling etc is doing anything long term, it eases off for a few hours and then tightens right back up, needs someone to get in where I can't.
AMH_PowerIcon...04-10-2015 @ 20:47 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
ps. That squat is ace
McMuffin_GainsIcon...04-10-2015 @ 21:00 
Member 5366, 1090 posts
AMH_Power said:ps. That squat is ace

Cheers mate Grin

I think, as Sawyers posted, that the sheer frequency and volume really helps dial in the squat technique and I feel this most likely an important factor in the apparent gains people make during this program.

I only say this as it's probably the best looking squat technique I've ever had albeit not as deep as my lighter lifts but I'll blame my s**t calf on that for now Tongue
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...04-10-2015 @ 21:08 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22056 posts
Easy squat!
EllD90Icon...04-10-2015 @ 23:23 
Member 4522, 1898 posts
SQ 222.5, BP 152.5, DL 245
620.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
250+ there. Get the calf sorted and more weight on the bar. Well done!
rawlifterIcon...08-10-2015 @ 10:52 
Member 5584, 304 posts
SQ 225, BP 157.5, DL 260
642.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Interesting - I normally do well on high volume although never attempted more than 2 heavy squat days a week before

Did you do the cycle in this link or a different one as this is 3 weeks, then 3 weeks off then 4 weeks: http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html

Would you jump into this or recommend building up before even hitting the base cycle?
AppetiteIcon...08-10-2015 @ 11:30 
Let do this.
Member 3512, 2473 posts
SQ 200, BP 140, DL 252.5
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
McMuffin_Gains said:

• It will kick the s**t out of your body. It is a constant battle to stay mobile during Smolov the sheer volume tightens everything up, hips, quads, flexors, hamstrings, calfs, ankles, lower back, everything basically!
  • If you have a 'niggle' at the start, no matter how small it will be a lot, lot worse come the end of it

• Its these bits that worry me. i have known people get great results from these high volume programes but I have also known far too many people break themselves by high volume workout after high volume workout with tight areas and niggles. For me its a risk.

If you look at the guys that really last in this game, you'll find the majority are low/mid volume guys.
    lukiIcon...08-10-2015 @ 12:17 
    Member 5517, 1538 posts
    SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
    526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
    Do you think it will have much benefit to your deadlift max? How'd your low back holdup?
    McMuffin_GainsIcon...08-10-2015 @ 13:30 
    Member 5366, 1090 posts
    rawlifter said:Interesting - I normally do well on high volume although never attempted more than 2 heavy squat days a week before

Did you do the cycle in this link or a different one as this is 3 weeks, then 3 weeks off then 4 weeks: http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html

Would you jump into this or recommend building up before even hitting the base cycle?

That's different to the one I used which was on Stronglifts here.

If you currently only squat once a week then I would build a little volume up first although I think those that squat 3 times a week albeit not as heavy will find it easier but perhaps not see such drastic results.

The one I used had a two week introductory cycle which intends to help get your body primed for it, I definitely wouldn't have jumped into the base cycle without doing this as I had spent a couple of months prior only squatting once a week.
    McMuffin_GainsIcon...08-10-2015 @ 13:34 
    Member 5366, 1090 posts
    luki said:Do you think it will have much benefit to your deadlift max? How'd your low back holdup?

It's funny you should ask. Until today I hadn't deadlifted for around 8 weeks and the majority of people who have done the base cycle report not losing any kg from their deadlift and sometimes gaining a few. It definitely hits your lower back.

I tested the waters today and managed a cheeky 5kg PR for 315kg which I was very happy about.

Deadlift Instagram linky

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions