IF, buts and maybes

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 1718192021222324252627

OwenLIcon...25-06-2014 @ 14:04 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
I might attempt a velodrome session soon - although my endurance is s**t I might be able to sprint ok....once.
little_aIcon...25-06-2014 @ 14:09 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Spoken like a true weightlifter lol
SteveIcon...25-06-2014 @ 22:09 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
What's the idea behind all the crap food?

I understand the idea of carb loading/ intermittent fasting etc, but wouldn't you be better off using real foods (fruit and veg, cereals, honey etc?) not 3 bounty bars ...?
OwenLIcon...25-06-2014 @ 22:29 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Bountys are nice as f**k. I think I might have one before I compete at weekend Happy
CuddlesIcon...26-06-2014 @ 09:55 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
OwenL said:I might attempt a velodrome session soon - although my endurance is s**t I might be able to sprint ok....once.

You definitely have the strength to be quick, where most 'strong' guys fall down though is that in order to go really quick you need to be able to put out some very high revs which most just aren't able to do for very long, if at all. Alternatively you could just whack a massive gear on, but even then, you need to be able to spin up big time.

Does look amazing fun though!
CuddlesIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:03 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:What's the idea behind all the crap food?

I understand the idea of carb loading/ intermittent fasting etc, but wouldn't you be better off using real foods (fruit and veg, cereals, honey etc?) not 3 bounty bars ...?

Firstly, it has absolutely nothing to do with 'carb back loading' or any other diet etc. The bounties were for a number of resons, firstly, and perhaps most importantly, I love them. Secondly, it is VERY difficult to carry enough calories on the bike if you are doing big miles. I would need 10+ bananas to get even close to the calories that I got from a packet of haribo and the 3 bounties. Thirdly, I know that my stomach can handle them when zipping along at 80% max Hr and fourthly, they are a very cheap way of getting on calories, and when you need to put away big amounts, that does make a difference.

I refuse to use gels on anything other than the most important rides, and I'm a firm believer that during exercise, the additional nutritional content of 'real' food makes very little difference and the ability to actually stomach it is far more important.

In terms of junk food outside of before, during, or immediately after a ride, well, I just like it. I'm pretty good at not buying it, but if it is in the house, it's getting eaten, and quickly.

The cereal that i eat is always immediately post ride, i have yet to be convicned by anyone, that any kind of postworkout drink is better in terms of carbs, fats, and protein, it's cheap, and again most importantly, I enjoy eating them.

That make any sense?
JohnGymIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:03 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
OwenL said:I might attempt a velodrome session soon - although my endurance is s**t I might be able to sprint ok....once.

I've been on the velodrome in Manchester quite a lot. It's a load of fun. Hard work though physically.
JohnGymIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:05 
Member 1107, 6964 posts
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Cuddles, a friend of mine, who is an extremely high performing endurance athlete, is full on zero carb. He has trained his body to be fuelled by fat. He is fit as f**k and ripped to bits.

His name is Hywel Davies.
CuddlesIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:08 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Here is a list of things that I know I can and do eat on rides:

flapjacks
bananas
apples (a b**ch to carry)
sweets of all kinds
chocolate of all kinds
fruit and nut mix
jaffa cakes
fig rolls - REALLY cost effective and actualyl very good during a ride
fruit juice - i often mix it 50/50 with water for big rides
Lucozade sports etc
Coffee
Coca-Cola (easily, THE best drink when cycling, caffeine, sugar, tastes great, cheap)

If you are using up to 5-6000 calories on a ride, and I can be in the saddle for upto 8 hours, then at some stage, you are going to need to eat a lot of easily digested, affordable calories.
CuddlesIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:10 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
JohnGym said:Cuddles, a friend of mine, who is an extremely high performing endurance athlete, is full on zero carb. He has trained his body to be fuelled by fat. He is fit as f**k and ripped to bits.

I have no doubt! I'll happily admit, that I dont have the will power or inclination to do that, but I very much respoect those that do.

I do suspect though, that there is a reason why not a single pro tour rider that I know of is anything close to low carb, let alone no carb. (they may call themselves low carb, but compared to normal people, they are anything but).
SteveIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:15 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
Firstly, it has absolutely nothing to do with 'carb back loading' or any other diet etc. The bounties were for a number of resons, firstly, and perhaps most importantly, I love them. Secondly, it is VERY difficult to carry enough calories on the bike if you are doing big miles. I would need 10+ bananas to get even close to the calories that I got from a packet of haribo and the 3 bounties. Thirdly, I know that my stomach can handle them when zipping along at 80% max Hr and fourthly, they are a very cheap way of getting on calories, and when you need to put away big amounts, that does make a difference.
I refuse to use gels on anything other than the most important rides, and I'm a firm believer that during exercise, the additional nutritional content of 'real' food makes very little difference and the ability to actually stomach it is far more important.
In terms of junk food outside of before, during, or immediately after a ride, well, I just like it. I'm pretty good at not buying it, but if it is in the house, it's getting eaten, and quickly.
The cereal that i eat is always immediately post ride, i have yet to be convicned by anyone, that any kind of postworkout drink is better in terms of carbs, fats, and protein, it's cheap, and again most importantly, I enjoy eating them.
That make any sense?

Yes, especially interesting about using it to replace gels which I really don't like and I don't find settle at all well. I'll have to experiment with something different.
CuddlesIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:18 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Wednesday 25th June - Day 6

Diet
1:30 - lasagne, large salad, cherry cheesecake
6pm - two small iced lattes
10PM - large bowl of cereal, chicken curry, rice, naan bread

Training
13.5 miles commute, steady pace
60 miles - hills, bit of tempo

Notes
Was busy as f**k yesterday and left work more than a little bit tired and stressed. Wanted to head straight home, but remembered I had committed to hills so forced myself out. Two coffees for a bit of caffeine at lest woke me up a bit. The original plan was to do an interval session, but there was no way that was happening. Went out with the aim of 5-6 hills, more than 1000m of climbing and then head home. That's exactly what I did.

It's days like yesterday that make me LOVE my bike. Not a cloud in the sky, zipping along some country lanes down in to Kent. It really is amazing how beautiful countryside we have so close to London.

Put some gas down to get back home but the legs were really fried by then. Last 5 miles was a slog. it also kind of f**kied up my eating window as I got back too late to eat before 9 and i wasnt going to not eat a fair amount of that effort.

Diet wise, no real problems. Was grouchy as f**k yesterdy but I am sure that was as much work as anything food related.

Will do 30-40 miles tonight and then call it good until at least Saturday and potentially Sunday. Been a big week miles wise and I dont want to work too hard now and then f**k up the next few weeks which are reallty important as I prep for Italy.
BodIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:32 
Member 174, 1233 posts
Fig rolls have been my saviour in many a dark hour.
macrothIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:32 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.06.2014 @ 10:33 AM by macroth
JohnGym said:Cuddles, a friend of mine, who is an extremely high performing endurance athlete, is full on zero carb. He has trained his body to be fuelled by fat. He is fit as f**k and ripped to bits.

No fruit and vegetables? He's certainly crazy fit, and fast on the erg for a 5 foot/100lb man-child. Grin

Edit: This blog makes me want to ride more again, but I'll hold off for a few years I think.
JohnGymIcon...26-06-2014 @ 10:35 
Member 1107, 6964 posts
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
macroth said:
No fruit and vegetables? He's certainly crazy fit, and fast on the erg for a 5 foot/100lb man-child. Grin
Edit: This blog makes me want to ride more again, but I'll hold off for a few years I think.

Lol...5'9" actually. http://www.hyweldavies.me/Bio.html

He smashes the veg. Not sure about the fruit. I'll check that.
Perhaps not zero carb then. Bad choice of words there probably. Certainly high fat, mod protein low carb WOE though.

12345678910 ... ... 1718192021222324252627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions