IF, buts and maybes

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 16 ... 1718192021222324252627

BoarIcon...19-08-2014 @ 18:56 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25555 posts
Administrator
Post Edited: 19.08.2014 @ 18:58 PM by Boar
Managed 826m of vertical ascent within the hour.

lovely stuff OJ , I'm looking to make cycling my 'thing' as it seems the obvious choice to smash my ironman time and I very much like the idea of doing hill repeats in the middle of a ride (the idea)

big O , you are obviously amazing on the bike , do you do any races or TT's ? I think I am gonna try some next year as they look fun.

andy my man , I will probably try a 1hr TT on the turbo unless this damnned wind f**ks off then there is a great 'straight' from Leyland to Formby

x

and steve , that is a nice bike...I presume not putting the price on there means 1 thing ........ if you have to ask , you cant afford.Grin
CuddlesIcon...19-08-2014 @ 19:14 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve, in the nicest possible way, i hate you...

Boar, honestly, anything under 2 hours I reckon you are my match, if not better on the bike. I'd back myself if there was serious climbing involved but you can't have shift on that bike of yours!

For the ironman, there's a quote that I quite like: 'a triathlon is just a bike race with a swim for a warm up and a run for a cool down.' In all seriousness though, I reckon with the right training, you could take an hour or more off your bike 'leg'.

The plan was to race this year, and I'm all licensed up and race insured, did 2 early season races, and really enjoyed them (well in a 'f**king hell this hurts' kind of way) but work got in the way and I really had to channel any spare money that I had into saving for my holiday. The GVT pay cheque only goes so far... My tentative plan is to build for the next 10-12 weeks, try and hit a new peak fitness end of October and then race once a week over the winter ready to be race ready start of next season. Any races i can get in over September I will, but money is tight as f**k as I'm trying to get a mortgage and need my bank statements to read well (i.e. not blowing £100-200 a month on bike races and equipment).

The hill repeats work, there is no doubt about that, but as Millsy alluded to with his earlier post, they aint right, not by a long shot!
CuddlesIcon...19-08-2014 @ 20:10 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 20.08.2014 @ 20:05 PM by Cuddles
Tuesday 19th August

Training
91km

Did the middle 90 minutes at tempo pace, i.e. never working hard enough for my legs to bite at all. The main aim was to work on keeping the cadence high, but when I looked down to check, my cadence sensor wasn't working. Not too bothered as I kept the intensity just about right and it all felt good.

Also did the first 75km fasted, and then I stopped and had cheesecake. Very good cheesecake it was too.

Edit:

Diet
a latte
slice of sicilian lemon cheesecake
4 fig rolls
baby corn and hummus
500ml frijj fudge brownie milkshake
large serving of spag bol with two slices of olive oil toast
100ml of my housemate's vegetable 'smoothie'

I'm sure there was more than that but I can't remember.
OwenLIcon...19-08-2014 @ 22:52 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
I have a road bike now Happy. 14mile after work tomorrow to kick things off - not quite your 91km!!! Grin

. Oh and the velodrome is epic. I'm hooked and booked for next week again. Might even be accredited to race before the season starts...!

I might also squeeze in a time trial or two, thinking about asking my dad for a 2 up TT in Sept. Would be...different
CuddlesIcon...20-08-2014 @ 20:31 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
LOL, that was just an active recovery ride Wink

Have you got a road bike as well then or do you mean your fixie? If a road bike as well, what did you get?

Everyone that I know who has ridden at the velodrome loves it! It's on my list once funds are a bit looser, seeing as I have one of, if not the best velodrome in the world within walking distance...

Wednesday 20th August

Trainings
109km with 2 x 30 minute 'hard' efforts

Diet
Pack of fig rolls
Can of coke
PWO shake with yoghurt, banana, milk, peanut butter, egg and choc nesquick
Gnocchi with beef ragu and parmesan

Notes
Wanted to push the efforts on this workout a little harder than last week, to get an idea of where I am. Picked a route based on ability to crank out a 30 minute interval without traffic getting in the way but had a disaster on the first interval, made the snap decision to start it again on the fly and then hit more traffic. I'm not sure I've ever hit that much traffic on that stretch of road, ever. Sod's f**king law. On the plus side however, legs felt good. The aim was to get within 10% of my best times on those roads and I'd be happy. Even with the two hold ups I was only 18 seconds off my best on one 7.2 mile stretch so on pb form.

Rolled along for a good few km, necked a can of coke and then hit the second interval - this one is virtually impossible for traffic to get in the way and I ended up going pretty deep. It's essentially an out and back course with roundabouts at both ends, climbing one way, descending the other. Took 90 seconds off my pb for the first half (I think there must have been a fair amount of wind up my arse) and then hung on for dear life on the reverse. Didn't make the full roundabout to roundabout within the 30 minutes but that's no problem as I finished at a higher altitude than I started and missed the easiest stretch - also gives me something to aim for. I probably went a bit deeper than I wanted to, had to shut my right eye in parts as they were crossing but it felt good.

The only problem with workouts like this is that you do all the f**king graft and then have 15-20 grim miles to get home, never fun.
OwenLIcon...20-08-2014 @ 20:41 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
i did 10.5 mile in 35 minutes haha. I have a BTWIN Triban 3, great reviews for the price of them and its just to get up to speed for riding the track with more intent. I intend to race so i need to get bike fit, as well as strong.

Im booked on the velo for next week, need to get accredited ASAP so i can train properly.
CuddlesIcon...20-08-2014 @ 20:45 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Mate, that's a bloody solid place to start from. Real solid.

And sounds like you bought a perfect bike for your needs, I hope she brings you much joy!
OwenLIcon...20-08-2014 @ 20:58 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:Mate, that's a bloody solid place to start from. Real solid.

And sounds like you bought a perfect bike for your needs, I hope she brings you much joy!

Happy thanks mate. Full carbon track bike next lol!!

Going to join the local road club to get some insider info and training tips, i have no idea. Even google isnt great! Eek
JackRevansIcon...20-08-2014 @ 21:28 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
you cant beat a good cheese cake
BoarIcon...21-08-2014 @ 19:49 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25555 posts
Administrator
tell you what OJ ,all those top 10's for your ride on strava are pretty f**king impressive , also , my edge 500 is ace , what extra shizzle does the 800 have ?
CuddlesIcon...21-08-2014 @ 21:25 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Boar said:tell you what OJ ,all those top 10's for your ride on strava are pretty f**king impressive , also , my edge 500 is ace , what extra shizzle does the 800 have ?

I couldn't quite believe the time when i uploaded it, I knew it was quick, but not 90 second PB quick! But cheers mate, it's nice when someone gets it.

The 800 is SWEET, although I really want a 1000. The biggest difference over the 800 is navigation. Mine effectively works like a Garmin for your car. Sounds like something that is not worth the extra money, but I think it is worth ALL the extra money and more. I can get routes, stick them on, and it will take me on them, with turn by turn instructions, off course warnings, elevation profile, etc. It will also guide me to wherever I want to go if I need to find something quickly (like a train station).

I suspect that the virtual training partner is different too, because of the mapping, but I've never actually used a 500.
CuddlesIcon...22-08-2014 @ 11:25 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Thursday 21st August

Training
13.5 miles - AM
35 miles - PM

Diet
Fudge Brownie Frijj
Chicken burger with cheese, bacon, chips and a large salad
Shake with eggs, milk, banana, apple, and frozen berries
Gnocchi with ragu and parmesan

Notes
Back in work so had the normal commute in the morning, decided to refuel with the milkshake as I had the tough workout the afternoon before and needed to be on top form at work as I had back to back meetings all day. Evening ride was nothing more than a brisk spin, although clocked up about 500m of climbing anyway.

Lunch was at a Harvester. It was that or a wetherspoons and the harvester is nearer.
CuddlesIcon...22-08-2014 @ 11:29 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
And in a rather unexpected turn of events, it's looking like I am cycling from London to Paris and back from Sunday to Wednesday next week. A friend is doing it in honour of a friend of hers who died of leukaemia but the person she was doing it with has had to drop out so I've stepped in last minute.

If anyone has a few spare pounds and wants to do a good deed today, her sponsorship page is the following:

www.justgiving.com/jo-wood-pedal-power

It's in aid of Leuka, a cause really close to my heart.
little_aIcon...22-08-2014 @ 11:57 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
How many are going on it OJ?
BenMacIcon...22-08-2014 @ 12:48 
'Looks like Ben Affleck according to Pagan'
Member 876, 2506 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 260
620.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:And in a rather unexpected turn of events, it's looking like I am cycling from London to Paris and back from Sunday to Wednesday next week. A friend is doing it in honour of a friend of hers who died of leukaemia but the person she was doing it with has had to drop out so I've stepped in last minute.

If anyone has a few spare pounds and wants to do a good deed today, her sponsorship page is the following:

www.justgiving.com/jo-wood-pedal-power

It's in aid of Leuka, a cause really close to my heart.

Thats worth the price of a pint, good luck to you and your mate x

12345678910 ... 16 ... 1718192021222324252627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions