REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 230 guests

Getting serious about anti doping!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

SteveIconGetting serious about anti doping!20-12-2015 @ 10:11 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Germany getting serious about anti doping - up to 3 years in prison for a positive test, or possession of PEDs!

http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-anti-doping-law-comes-into-force...
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...20-12-2015 @ 10:20 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Exasperated sigh...
little_aIcon...20-12-2015 @ 12:33 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Steve said:Germany getting serious about anti doping - up to 3 years in prison for a positive test, or possession of PEDs!

The article doesn't give much away and is quite vague. Can of worms IMO. Couple of things spring straight to mind
- how would this be enforceable if the sample was given by a German athlete outside of Germany?
- how would a non German athlete be treated by Germany if they gave the sample in Germany, but were back home when the results made known? Extradition seems one route.
- what would happen if they were still in Germany? They may not have actually taken anything whilst inside Germany but still be +

Be interesting to see some of these cases inside a criminal court as opposed to the CAS route. WADA rules are a long way from criminal rules in a lot of countries so I don't see how it would work. It sounds like quite a romantic notion in theory, but I doubt it has legs. Also, a lot of what's on banned lists aren't illegal and are commonly OTC medications. Then you have TUE. Major headache Unhappy
BoarIcon...20-12-2015 @ 16:11 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25569 posts
Administrator
someone call joni quick.
SteveIcon...21-12-2015 @ 09:12 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
little_a said:
The article doesn't give much away and is quite vague. Can of worms IMO. Couple of things spring straight to mind
- how would this be enforceable if the sample was given by a German athlete outside of Germany?
- how would a non German athlete be treated by Germany if they gave the sample in Germany, but were back home when the results made known? Extradition seems one route.
- what would happen if they were still in Germany? They may not have actually taken anything whilst inside Germany but still be +
Be interesting to see some of these cases inside a criminal court as opposed to the CAS route. WADA rules are a long way from criminal rules in a lot of countries so I don't see how it would work. It sounds like quite a romantic notion in theory, but I doubt it has legs. Also, a lot of what's on banned lists aren't illegal and are commonly OTC medications. Then you have TUE. Major headache Unhappy

Pretty much what I thought. This sounds like the sort of idea that might sound good over a beer, but totally unworkable in real life.

However as this isn't just a suggestion, but now actual German law I assume these sort of things have been thought about and answers found. I wonder what the actual crime is - taking performance enhancing drugs - in which case there may be many thousands(?) of people breaking the law who don't compete or taking performance enhancing drugs and competing in "tested" competitions?

And as you say surely it's a total nightmare for International competitions and athletes - would German athletes testing abroad be jailed when they got ome? Would International athletes competing in Germany face jail time?
little_aIcon...21-12-2015 @ 10:08 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Steve said:
now actual German law I assume these sort of things have been thought about and answers found. I wonder what the actual crime is - taking performance enhancing drugs - in which case there may be many thousands(?) of people breaking the law who don't compete or taking performance enhancing drugs and competing in "tested" competitions?

Agreed. Unless Germany is happy to discriminate against those who compete in sport and those who don't, the only way to make it fair is to spot test the whole population at random and without notice, and even get them to complete whereabouts details. I would have thought Germany of all places would know the dangers in giving up basic rights that were so hard fought for. There must be ballsy human rights lawyers queuing up with hard ons ready to get involved in the first cases that hit the criminal courts.

That said, wasn't there a case in Scandinavia somewhere where the police stopped a guy because he was big, tested him and subsequently jailed him for testing + for some banned substance?
RobboIcon...21-12-2015 @ 11:00 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Boar said:someone call joni quick.

Hahahahaha!!!!
kylegoldIcon...21-12-2015 @ 12:54 
Member 5416, 76 posts
First the Jews !

Now the Drug users !

Pure Evil !!!!!!!!!
The_Lone_WolfIcon...21-12-2015 @ 21:18 
I eat a lot of meat