Who's Online - 0 members and 172 guests

Bronwyn Taylor asked to leave gym?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

dr_hazbunIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:24 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
I'm playing devil's advocate here but if you train in a health club you have to adhere to its rules.

To be fair, we are generally a messy, noisy, loud bunch of t**ts who hog squat racks and platforms. Whether you do a beautiful squat or clean is besides the point.

Join a powerlifting or weightlifting club or build a home gym if you want to train that way.
brownbearIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:33 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:I'm playing devil's advocate here but if you train in a health club you have to adhere to its rules.

To be fair, we are generally a messy, noisy, loud bunch of t**ts who hog squat racks and platforms. Whether you do a beautiful squat or clean is besides the point.

Join a powerlifting or weightlifting club or build a home gym if you want to train that way.

i cant wait to have a home gym, then we can alternate weekends whos home gym to train at Happy brahz 4 lyf (Fazc is part of the group too)
dr_hazbunIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:37 
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
brownbear said:
i cant wait to have a home gym, then we can alternate weekends whos home gym to train at Happy brahz 4 lyf (Fazc is part of the group too)

Yes brah!

No rules at my gym. Ultra raw as the day you were born or ply upon ply. It's all allowed.

Also, it comes with wife on duty for cups of tea/coffee/videoing sexy lifts etc.
IainKendrickIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:37 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:I'm playing devil's advocate here but if you train in a health club you have to adhere to its rules.

This is true in some ways. However I think actually training a lift hard and heavy should no way in any gym be grounds for being kicked out.Throwing chalk about, acting like a t**t. Yes. Just deadlifting heavy? f**k no. Gyms should be applauding those working hard, effectivley and respectfully.

As for hogging kit? Well the squat rack is there to have people squat in. Same with a the bench etc. Better it be used for an hr's worth of squats where anyone is free to join in squating, than use it for shrugs or barbell curls.

If a gym didn't allow chalk it'd be a pain and I'd not want to be a member but I can also see the point.
IainKendrickIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:38 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:
Yes brah!
Also, it comes with wife on duty for .... sexy lifts etc.

Does she know that your making her available for this duty? Pretty nice of you. I am def coming over for a sess if you get a home gym!
dr_hazbunIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:46 
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
IainKendrick said:
This is true in some ways. However I think actually training a lift hard and heavy should no way in any gym be grounds for being kicked out.Throwing chalk about, acting like a t**t. Yes. Just deadlifting heavy? f**k no. Gyms should be applauding those working hard, effectivley and respectfully.
As for hogging kit? Well the squat rack is there to have people squat in. Same with a the bench etc. Better it be used for an hr's worth of squats where anyone is free to join in squating, than use it for shrugs or barbell curls.
If a gym didn't allow chalk it'd be a pain and I'd not want to be a member but I can also see the point.

This is all very true pal. I for one always offer to share the squat rack and am more than happy to unload to the bat multiple times to accomodate people's needs. However, my experience of training at commercial gyms is that the vast majority of people who want to squat use it as a sort of conditioning exercise ie just 40-60kg for 20 rep half squats supersetted with some crap like burpees. When they realise that I'm sitting there with 140-160kg on the bar for multiple sets with long rest periods the majority get put off and that's when I've had them go to PTs and complain. That's why I left the health club within walking distance of home and have reverted back to driving across town in traffic to train at the powerlifting club. I never used chalk at that place, made any noise, trained alone and not in large intimidating groups and was very careful about lowering deads gently. I also look crap in a bandana so never wore one.
ystradboy79Icon...08-12-2012 @ 12:49 
Chris 'The Magician' Melling
Member 1443, 978 posts
SQ 270, BP 180, DL 320
770.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
IainKendrick said:

x2

Im always conscious of hogging the squat rack in the gym I use , if someone is obviously having a leg session the same time as me I will always ask if they want to cut in , even if im pressing as its no biggie stripping or adding a few plates between sets , in 4 years no one has taken me up on it lol , usual answer is yeah I am training legs but not doing squats right now cos of my back/knee/hips etc , think most gym users regard the rack as something from the dark ages of training that cant compete with their modern machines Roll-Eyes
IainKendrickIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:50 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
TBH that's there f**king problem though. You've been nice enough to ask if they want to work in then they should get on with it and not. Its just called manners,and being a resonable human. Has nothing to do with gym ettiquete. PT should be telling em to get over it too.
IainKendrickIcon...08-12-2012 @ 12:53 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Think bottom line is there's plenty iof f**k witts to be found in any walk off life and they often have the loudest voice. Secondly gyms and PTs often don't put training first in these situations. Prob because half of the time they couldn't effectivley train a paper bag. Unless off course the paper bag wanted their hand holding to loose a couple of kgs of fat.
badmongoIcon...08-12-2012 @ 15:26 
has experience of quad imbalance
Member 3676, 427 posts
Also to add, in my experience the noisey large groups of (probably intimidating to the average fitness user) t**ts that hog the equipment are not the serious strength trainers at all. They are the lads from the fitness crowd and similar who are too busy trying to look the part, grunting on every rep of warm up sets and trying to look impressive in front of each other. They are the ones that look down on anyone who is smaller or not as strong or as 'cut', and the ones that tend to have an attitude towards others. The serious strength trainers i have known always seem very laid back and approachable to be honest
ozzieIcon...08-12-2012 @ 15:32 
in the RAF not black sabbath
Member 595, 516 posts
SQ 170, BP 132.5, DL 230
532.5 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
badmongo said:Also to add, in my experience the noisey large groups of (probably intimidating to the average fitness user) t**ts that hog the equipment are not the serious strength trainers at all. They are the lads from the fitness crowd and similar who are too busy trying to look the part, grunting on every rep of warm up sets and trying to look impressive in front of each other. They are the ones that look down on anyone who is smaller or not as strong or as 'cut', and the ones that tend to have an attitude towards others. The serious strength trainers i have known always seem very laid back and approachable to be honest

X2
ozzieIcon...08-12-2012 @ 15:32 
in the RAF not black sabbath
Member 595, 516 posts
SQ 170, BP 132.5, DL 230
532.5 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
badmongo said:Also to add, in my experience the noisey large groups of (probably intimidating to the average fitness user) t**ts that hog the equipment are not the serious strength trainers at all. They are the lads from the fitness crowd and similar who are too busy trying to look the part, grunting on every rep of warm up sets and trying to look impressive in front of each other. They are the ones that look down on anyone who is smaller or not as strong or as 'cut', and the ones that tend to have an attitude towards others. The serious strength trainers i have known always seem very laid back and approachable to be honest

X2
FazcIcon...08-12-2012 @ 15:33 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
ystradboy79 said:
Im always conscious of hogging the squat rack in the gym I use , if someone is obviously having a leg session the same time as me I will always ask if they want to cut in , even if im pressing as its no biggie stripping or adding a few plates between sets , in 4 years no one has taken me up on it lol

I would always get that in commercial gyms, guys would prefer standing an uncomfortable 5-10 yards away and just staring. I would ALWAYS ask if they wanted to work in, sometimes I'd have to insist! Otherwise they'd continue standing there! Madness!
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...08-12-2012 @ 16:15 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq

Definitely! "It's all you bro" etc! I was doing bench one day in a commercial gym, some fellas asked me if I was using it. I said yes but they could work in and I would help load it on my rest periods cos they prob want more on than I was using. They said "No we wanna put loads of weight on the bar" and walked off.Ha!
ChrisGloverIcon...08-12-2012 @ 16:27 
does 'bench only' comps ...LOL
Member 1469, 377 posts
Any gym that doesnt allow strength training is crippling itself

The benefits that it has when you look deep into it and the literature etc, women benefit HUGELY from strength training for females. Gyms should be using it as a selling point! So any gym that doesnt approve of it i question do they have much knowledge at all!

Hope the taylors are happy at a new gym!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions