Blah blah, how much do you bench?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FatpeteIcon...28-11-2010 @ 19:37 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17928 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
I just find bench shirts utterly ridiculous.

Fair enough.

I used to, until I tried one.

As you say, not much point for you.
GubernatrixIcon...28-11-2010 @ 21:52 
pointing the way
Member 1298, 631 posts
SQ 110, BP 65, DL 130
305.0 kgs @ 63kgs UnEq
nico said:It's the classic non-lifter question isn't it? Given that the number is probably meaningless to the person who asks the question, it is funny that as lifters we tend to get fairly defensive about it.

Very true!

It's funny if you're a girl since 99.9% of blokes have no idea what female lifters lift and don't know what to make of it when you tell them. You can see them thinking 'is that good or bad?' when you say a number.

And then you get asked for an arm wrestle FFS!
dr_hazbunIcon...28-11-2010 @ 21:59 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Fatpete said:
To answer your question, I will never walk with a yoke, with a wiggle - sometimes, with a limp - now and then, with a sense of determination - when needed. With a yoke - never.

love it
Big_GrayIcon...28-11-2010 @ 22:06 
another lover of conans wheel
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
Col_Austin said:If you overtly establish yourself as an alpha male, which we all are doing, this kind of thing goes with the territory. Pathetic as it may be, most of these guys just want to pay their respects, but don't want to feel like you're looking down on them. Defensive, hostile answers to the 'how much do you bench' question are usually what trigger the bigger, stronger mate counter attack. These guys expect you to be up yourself, but there's no real reason to ignore or dismiss them. Apart from anything else, it's just rude. No need to get into a full blown discussion about training, but if they've taken the time to pay you a compliment, might as well accept it with a good grace, rather than show your irritation and deliberately make them feel like a t**t.

i cant believe im writing this but i have to agree with this comment totally
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...28-11-2010 @ 22:10 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22078 posts
I'm not doing an "alpha male" thing.

I generally keep quiet about my lifting and wear baggy clothes.

I lift weights because I'm interested in strength and enjoy doing strongman. It's not a macho thing at all.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...28-11-2010 @ 22:24 
Member 400, 22078 posts
In fact, I'm really quite unmanly! I hate football, have never touched alcohol, am emotionally sensitive and like rabbits! Happy
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...28-11-2010 @ 22:24 
Member 400, 22078 posts
Post Edited: 28.11.2010 @ 22:25 PM by Wayne_Cowdrey
Double post
PompyIcon...28-11-2010 @ 22:36 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
You are sensitive as f**k
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...28-11-2010 @ 22:44 
Member 400, 22078 posts
Pompy said:
You are sensitive as f**k

It's been suggested to me that I've made myself strong to compensate for emotional weakness, and I think there's some truth in that. I feel safe behind my muscles. If I was normal strength I think I'd be a quivering wreck the whole time! It's kind of nice to have a soft personality though.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...29-11-2010 @ 01:05 
Member 400, 22078 posts
Just to clarify... I wasn't at all rude to the guy. I just wasn't very forthcoming with information about my lifting. Although this smiley... Roll-Eyes portrays what I was thinking, I was polite.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...29-11-2010 @ 01:09 
Member 400, 22078 posts
I need to buy a baggier coat.
bignige1986Icon...29-11-2010 @ 01:25 
Taleban says his views on women are extreme
Member 639, 3518 posts
SQ 10, BP 10, DL 10
30.0 kgs @ 10kgs Eq
James_94 said:I get asked it all the time by guys at my school, i get the 'bigger and stronger' friend stories all the time (they're probably true), although some can actually bench as much as me Unhappy
most however bench on smith machines etc, which i've tried and i found it alot easier..

For your age, time training etc your a beast mate ! Bet half the lads at you school couldnt get a log to there chest or deadlift over 140, just say next time anyone asks "more than you" Grin normally starts a b**chy response but its funny
robocopIcon...29-11-2010 @ 12:47 
Commentators say: he benches like a bodybuilder
Member 231, 1873 posts
SQ 400, BP 275, DL 365
1040.0 kgs @ 135.7kgs Eq
i just make numbers up its quite funny cause no matter what they go whheeeww
i was coming down the lift of the empire state building with my misses and the guy who works the lift with the remote was a small kinda street smart looking black guy and he was like
"hey big dog what you benching" and at the time i had not benched for about 2 years and had no interest in it, so quickly i said about 625 not sharp enough to work out the pounds to kilos ratio very well and he replyed "s**te that mother f**ker aint cleen" haha
so since me and the wife have adopted this as our we catchphrase when we are impressed with something Happy Happy
DuncanIcon...29-11-2010 @ 12:52 
deadlift 300kg conventional ? never gonna happen
Member 414, 1127 posts
SQ 275, BP 187.5, DL 317.5
780.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
robocop said:i just make numbers up its quite funny cause no matter what they go whheeeww
i was coming down the lift of the empire state building with my misses and the guy who works the lift with the remote was a small kinda street smart looking black guy and he was like
"hey big dog what you benching" and at the time i had not benched for about 2 years and had no interest in it, so quickly i said about 625 not sharp enough to work out the pounds to kilos ratio very well and he replyed "s**te that mother f**ker aint cleen" haha
so since me and the wife have adopted this as our we catchphrase when we are impressed with something Happy Happy

LOL!!!!
WiegieboardIcon...29-11-2010 @ 12:53 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11341 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Fatpete said:
I never mention the suit as I don't wear it to bench in, I don't mention the shirt either which I do wear.
Do steriod users mention that they were using ? Do touch and go pressers mention that their bench was not to competition standard ? would a man with a wider than legal grip mention that ? Does a man who moved his feet slightly mention that techically that would have negated the lift ?
Where to you draw the line, it's a member of the public, what does he care about the finer points of lifting, he just wants a number.
I was in a chip shop recemtly and one of the waiters mentioned my size, I nodded. He asked if I lifted, I said I did powerlifting. He asked my bench, I told him, he asked my squat, I told him that too, finally the deadlift, I told him that as well. He seemed reasonably impressed and shook my hand. It didn't seem the time or the place to bore the man s**tless about the bench was shirted but sans wriat wraps, that the squat was suited but only single ply, and only a two metre wrap was used, but it was beltless, and that the deadlift was raw, with a belt only, all all were to comprtition standard.
He is unaware that I did not bore him with all that, but if he did, I suspect that he would shake my hand again

This is a good post. If anyone ever decides to ask me haha, I think I'll just pretty much do what you did in the chippy. Not gonna have to say it anytime soon though I imagine haha.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions