REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 215 guests

3000lb world record total broken - yet no-one seems to give a damn?

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

jreppIcon...25-08-2011 @ 23:19 
Member 299, 579 posts
SQ 250, BP 200, DL 282.5
732.5 kgs @ 109kgs UnEq
They should rename the lift and call it the semi squat.
brynevansIcon...25-08-2011 @ 23:30 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
I reality nobody outside of these farcical federations does give a damn. This is so far away from what 99% of know as powerlifting however within it's boundaries it is impressive to some. It's clear when you read youtube comments that some actually beleive that these squats are below parallel. I don't quite know how these organisations have strayed so far from their original rules, it could be a way of their feds being noticed for their bigger more impressive lifts or just non enforcement of the correct rules. As far as the "third umpire" at all national and international IPF competitions there is the Jury panel who are there to ensure that the refereeing is done correctly in accordance with the rules, it's not common for them to overrule a lift but where a blatent bad decision has been made they will do and I think they will only consider awarding another attempt in the case of 2-1 decisions. I addition there are referees briefings from technical officers at all internationals to provide clarification on rules and any changes.
JCIcon...26-08-2011 @ 20:45 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
mikehowarth said:Will the rest of the world go the same way as the American Feds sooner or later?

It seems that actually the reverse is happening.

thats a very valid point, in that, IPF refs also seem not to ref to the rulebook

it appears (to an ousider), that international competitors no longer need to squat as the rule book specifies, but an inch or 2 below that specified hitting "depth" point
Tom_MartinIcon...27-08-2011 @ 00:57 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
JC said:
thats a very valid point, in that, IPF refs also seem not to ref to the rulebook
it appears (to an ousider), that international competitors no longer need to squat as the rule book specifies, but an inch or 2 below that specified hitting "depth" point

Unfortunately, any less than an inch or two below is too close to call, and if it's too close to call you leave yourself wide open for unfavourable decisions... It would be wise to give referees NO reason to doubt your depth and ensure you get white lights, rather than trying to get away with every mm possible, especially at internationals where you don't want to bomb after paying a lot of money to get there. This is why you will see most squatting deep at internationals... and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

It would be in the best interest of the sport to give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter in such cases, and I believe refs are encouraged to do so, but it doesn't often happen that way, and they are well within their rights to red light a lift if they have any doubt at all about the lift meeting the specified criteria.
StetecIcon...29-08-2011 @ 13:58 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
The Angel of the North moves more than that.
DANGERUSSIcon...30-08-2011 @ 15:28 
Member 1687, 113 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 265
675.0 kgs @ 100kgs Eq
Tom_Martin said:
Unfortunately, any less than an inch or two below is too close to call, and if it's too close to call you leave yourself wide open for unfavourable decisions... It would be wise to give referees NO reason to doubt your depth and ensure you get white lights, rather than trying to get away with every mm possible, especially at internationals where you don't want to bomb after paying a lot of money to get there. This is why you will see most squatting deep at internationals... and it's not necessarily a bad thing.
It would be in the best interest of the sport to give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter in such cases, and I believe refs are encouraged to do so, but it doesn't often happen that way, and they are well within their rights to red light a lift if they have any doubt at all about the lift meeting the specified criteria.

And there you have hit the nail on the head as to why none of the 'Best' Yank lifters ever compete in Europe. Especialy in Multi Ply Feds.
JCIcon...30-08-2011 @ 15:38 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 30.08.2011 @ 15:51 PM by JC
Tom_Martin said:

Re your last para....I thought the benefit of the doubt had to go to the lifter, if there was doubt in the refs mind?

So what you're (not you persoanlly, but your comment) saying is, that IPF refs are not competent enough to judge depth as defined by the rule book, so as an athlete, you have to squat an inch or two below that, rendering the definition of "depth" in the rule book as not use the paper its written on?
spam_upIcon...30-08-2011 @ 15:44 
Glorious spam
Member 1563, 3961 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 260
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
wonder how much ctp kirk could have squatted from one of these monolift thingies to half depth wearing all the s**t this bloke has on?
Tom_MartinIcon...30-08-2011 @ 16:04 
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
JC said:
Re your last para....I though the benefit of the doubt had to go to the lifter
So what you're (not you persoanlly, but your comment) saying is, that IPF refs are not competent enough to judge depth as defined by the rule book, so as an athlete, you have to squat an inch or two below that, rendering the definition of "depth" in the rule book as not use that paper its written on?

No you don't HAVE to, but judging a squat that is 1mm in is f**king hard given the amount of time you have to check, where as 1-2 inches in is obvious. If you want to squat borderline then expect a 50/50 pass/fail rate at best. You don't HAVE to squat any lower, but why take that risk especially on your opener after paying and travelling to compete internationally. Does ref competancy really come into question when youre presenting them with a knee that is completely obscured by a knee wrap, a leg surface that isn't flat, and a 'hip crease' which is obscured bya black squat suit and quite often the squatter himself, which may be 1mm above or below an invisible line parallel to the floor level with the top of an invisible knee cap? Come on, make it easy for them to give you a white light or don't moan when they made an unfavourable decision based on really hazy evidence given with just a splt second to decide...
JCIcon...30-08-2011 @ 16:14 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
No you don't HAVE to, but judging a squat that is 1mm in is f**king hard given the amount of time you have to check, where as 1-2 inches in is obvious. If you want to squat borderline then expect a 50/50 pass/fail rate at best. You don't HAVE to squat any lower, but why take that risk especially on your opener after paying and travelling to compete internationally. Does ref competancy really come into question when youre presenting them with a knee that is completely obscured by a knee wrap, a leg surface that isn't flat, and a 'hip crease' which is obscured bya black squat suit and quite often the squatter himself, which may be 1mm above or below an invisible line parallel to the floor level with the top of an invisible knee cap? Come on, make it easy for them to give you a white light or don't moan when they made an unfavourable decision based on really hazy evidence given with just a splt second to decide...

But Tom, what you seem to be saying is, the depth as defined by the rule book, leaves them with an element of doubt, so you should do more than specified in the rule book

Therefore, what is the point in the rule book?

Your coming at it from an athletes view....I'm talking in realtion to the rule book and its use in International competition in the sport

Surely knee wraps obscuring the knee etc, should be considered when writing the rule book

The rule book states that the hip crease should be below the top of the knee

therefore, you shouldn't have to go lower than that
Tom_MartinIcon...30-08-2011 @ 16:22 
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Write the rule book with whatever definition of depth you want and there will always be doubt if you only squat to the bare minimum depth the rulebook specifies, do you not agree?
JCIcon...30-08-2011 @ 16:30 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:Write the rule book with whatever definition of depth you want and there will always be doubt if you only squat to the bare minimum depth the rulebook specifies, do you not agree?

Yes of course

These guys (refs) should be able to judge depth (as defined by the rule book as it is at this present time), so there should be no need to go 1-2 inches below this

Of course, as a competing athlete you may do the above in order to be sure of the white lights, but, it should not be neccessary
Tom_MartinIcon...30-08-2011 @ 17:04 
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Well, what the f**k do you want me to do about it! Tongue
SteveIcon...30-08-2011 @ 17:54 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 30.08.2011 @ 17:58 PM by Steve
DANGERUSS said:
And there you have hit the nail on the head as to why none of the 'Best' Yank lifters ever compete in Europe. Especialy in Multi Ply Feds.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would argue that many of the best "Yanks" do travel and compete in Europe. I personally don't believe the multi ply lifters are any better than Ribic, Hooper, Siders, Gillingham, Ricks, Tuchsherer etc
SteveIcon...30-08-2011 @ 18:07 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
JC said:
Yes of course
These guys (refs) should be able to judge depth (as defined by the rule book as it is at this present time), so there should be no need to go 1-2 inches below this
Of course, as a competing athlete you may do the above in order to be sure of the white lights, but, it should not be neccessary

If anybody who is anywhere near gets the benefit of the doubt (as in some multiply feds) effectively the depth as required by the rule book is also changed.

However, as I think you might have been suggesting, IPF lifters are, IMO, frequently required to do far more than the rule book requires to get lifts passed in IPF Internationals and I have certainly seen many lifts which were in by as much as some of the multi ply lifts are high turned down.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions