REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 387 guests
You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts

View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

» Uh Oh! - Cardio (Go to post)15-04-2013 @ 19:54 
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my lifting the same and just do intervals of shorter distances but faster.

I did a 10:20 a couple of week ago and nearly melted at the end. My running mechanics are just so bad.

I'll probably do 3 times a week 30-40 mins interval training and hammer the test, and then after just every week do the test at the same pace until it becomes 'the norm'.

....in theory.
» Uh Oh! - Cardio (Go to post)15-04-2013 @ 18:54 
sorry I should have said...
The test is 1.5 Mile/2.4Km run in 9mins 30secs.

I have no doubt my actual cardio is capable, it's the legs/back that lock up.

Don't get me wrong, I can get my running to this standard, but want to know how to do it around my lifting (I lift Mon,Tue,Thu and speed/light day on Sat).

The things I want to know in general are pro's/con's of long and easy vs short and intense, frequency, and are rest days sacred or should I run on rest days???

I would rather go balls out and finish 09:29 with a dip finish than it affect my lifting.
» Uh Oh! - Cardio (Go to post)15-04-2013 @ 15:16 
Post Edited: 15.04.2013 @ 15:20 PM by AMH_Power
Do any big lifters do cardio? Or more sepcifically running?

I have to run due to my job (or at least pass a running test).

If anybody does, I would be very grateful if you could tell me:

1)Did it inhibit strength gains or lower strength.
2)What type of cardio/running did you do (long and easy, or high intensity/short)
3)How many times a week can you perform cardio before normal training is affected.

I used to sack it off and could cuff the fitness test, but now I'm more conditioned to strength and 10kg heavier, my running has gone to rat s**t!
My actual cardio is good (I do a lot of GPP etc) but my actual running (legs/back lock up etc) is whats ridiculously s**t (although I use to be a racing snake before becoming a lifter).

Anything I can find on strength/cardio all seems anecdotal with no studies or evidence. I'd rather here it from the horses mouth...

Thanks, Az.
» How to survive a meet? (Go to post)08-04-2013 @ 19:15 
For what it's worth, I recommend training with what works for you, but I recommend keeping generically in shape and fit.

Go for a jog every now and then, it'll keep your body used to burning the slow stored energies. It won't improve your lifts, but I believe 100% that the fitter you are the better you recover, less injury prone, and have higher sustained energy levels all day every day.

Small snacks throughout the day of the meet help too. Obviously people want the sugar rushes before each lift, which I think is fine, but I would not let that sugar spike crash to nothing... pad out the in-between with protein and fats to keep a low level of energy always present.

I'm sure everyone has their own methods, but eating like that and keeping fit allowed me to perform to standard at the WDFPF's worlds a couple of year back where I squatted at 1000am and deadlifted at 1030pm!!! What a joke of a day that was.
» Long Term Strength Goals (Go to post)06-04-2013 @ 16:15 
Good to read everyone's goals...

My long term goal is a 850kg raw total.
@100kg bodyweight.

I'm about 150kg off it this moment in time which is a LONG way. But I'm dedicated to the cause, and now I've addressed my piriformis syndrome I can train deadlifts properly for the first time in my life, and squat heavy more often.

A long road ahead for me.

Starting a journal Monday and look forwards to sharing my progress.
» Maxing out on Squats 5 times a week? (Go to post)06-04-2013 @ 15:00 
tonyRAW said:
Speaking of John Broz, how many Olympic gold medals do his lifters have?

Training 5x a week and maxing 5x a week is different.

Secondly, 'Broz' gym all do superhuman lifting on their videos and off season, and come to the national weightlifting and aren't anywhere near what they posed on youtube with. Pat Mendes is their golden boy, and he failed a drugs test so I have no time for people's advice that are juicing, because it will not work for a non-juicer.

A natural lifter may be able to train the same movement 5x a week, but not max it unless you have freak gene's, or want to get injured. Micro tears and fractures accumulating over time doesn't sound too clever to me.
» Sumo Deadlift (Go to post)06-04-2013 @ 10:20 
Once I practiced sumo there was no difference in my maxes between the two...most people will usually say the same (except those who lift with a curved spine on conv, this is bad news anyway)

However, sumo is less work. Because less work is done it is great for recovery, especially for those who can't pull heavy often due to flare ups and bad recovery.

I suggest a narrower sumo stance so th back is still trained but some stress is taken off it. You'll still get carryover too
» Bench / Close Grip Bench Technique (Go to post)03-04-2013 @ 15:05 
Rodger said:For many many months Ive done 'close' grip bench, as in my grip width is rough shoulder width.
The reason for this is to try and build my tricep strength up to assist log and my overhead.
However Ive also got pretty weak shoulders and the over bench and overhead hasnt really improved much.
Now closer the grip the greater the rage of motion, compared to more wider grip.

I always thought id save my shoulders more if I benched closer grip but now Im starting to question it.

1) Have people who tend to bench more traditionally grip spacing managed to progress with overhead, or have you had to nail CGBP too?

2)Am I right in saying the closer your hands the further down your chest you need to bring the bar?

3) Should I bin off CGBP and do a wider version (but elbows still tucked?)

It sounds so bizarre Im typing this as Ive been traiing the best part of 10 years and should know, but Im starting to rethink to improve

cheers Confused

Hi mate,

From looking at your bench numbers and OHP I wouldn't worry too much about training the muscle, I'd focus more on training the movement. If I wanted to learn to throw a ball with my left hand (I'm right handed) the least of my worries would be the conditioning of each muscle that's involved....it would be the skill. No different to bench/OHP.

Once you are hitting a massive bench/OHP then I'd look at strengthening the weak areas if it won't progress following specific linear periodization and a high calorie diet.

Have you got any video's of your bench/OHP? Would be a better reference!

I'm sure some people get good carry over and will disagree with me, but SOME people can recruit a high percent of their fibers naturally even on a random generic exercise. EVERYONE can learn to recruit more (upto genetic limits) using specificity.

Also, if you have long arms (your totals suggests you do) you may have a higher velocity at the peak of your ROM which introduces a lot more flywheel effect (so you don't require as much force at the top of the movement). This can create a massive sticking point, and if you are strong off your chest (or shoulders for OHP)I suggest using bands. This will soon kill the fly wheel effect, and will teach you to increase force as the bar raises and not decrease force.

Didn't mean for this to be an essay or to come across as pedantic. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) Everyone is different, some people can recruit a lot of fibers at once and so will get a lot of carryover. I do, however, the majority require specificity.

2) It depends on elbow angle and limb length ratios. I wouldn't worry, I'd just do what feels natural. I wouldn't do super close though, your wrist integrity will sacrifice a tricep workout. The angle difference with regards to the triceps between shoulder width and thumbs touching is minimal.

3) It depends what your goals are. If you want to get a good CGBP then do CGBP. If you want a big OHP then OHP, you get the idea.

Thanks for listening-

Az
» New Member! (Go to post)30-03-2013 @ 12:34 
MattD90 said:
I bet you do a big weighted pullup, everything else is strong as hell. I love them, we can have a competition Grin

Did a 50Kg easy enough, I couldn't be bothered to waddle over to the weight rack to get another disc. I think I could do just about 70 without s**tting myself!

Will have another go this week
» New Member! (Go to post)29-03-2013 @ 23:23 
MattD90 said:
I bet you do a big weighted pullup, everything else is strong as hell. I love them, we can have a competition Grin

It's on!

Not done one in forever. I'm surprised there isn't a weighted dip on there too (unless I missed it).
» New Member! (Go to post)29-03-2013 @ 23:07 
I honestly have no idea, after next weekend I'll give it a go and video it for comedy value!

I've done a fair but of clean and press but strict press is something I've not really done. I have an ok incline, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll have a go at the other lifts too.

I'm actually looking forward to trying the weighted pull-up
» Slow reps for fast gains (Go to post)29-03-2013 @ 22:36 
BodytorqueGym said:Paul Marsland explains all!

http://www.clickmma.co.uk/slow-repetitions-for-fast-gains/[/qu...

This does not take into account motor neural abilities. It maybe a good method to gain mass, but not to increase force production. The conservation of momentum (flywheel effect) is paramount in achieving the highest force (mass x acceleration).

There maybe no scientific evidence that lifting fast is best, but incorporating speed work into my bench saw it rocket after a year of halted progression doing 'slow reps' (and I'd like to think I'm not the only one)

If this was true, sprinters would jog everyday, oly lifters would do step ups instead of box jumps, and boxers would massage the heavy bag instead of punching it.
» New Member! (Go to post)29-03-2013 @ 20:25 
dr_hazbun said:I like the routine but I'm generally a fan of that training style.

My only criticism/issue with it is the fact that I'd deadlift and SLDL Tuesday and have to squat heavy on Thursday. My back recovery isn't good enough to deal with that, but then I have a history of back issues.

Currently I squat/light dead tues and light squat/heavy dead on Saturday and I'm just about ready.

I'm the exact same mate, (hence only a single set of 5!), the SLDL is purely for my hamstrings, you could sub in another compound lift like Sumo or even rack pulls. The only concrete part I recommend is the squat/bench day. I've ran it before without the SLDL and did the OHP instead (only 3x a week then).

Maybe you could sacrifice the OHP and place a secondary DL movement there (after all, the weight of the secondary is really light)!
» New Member! (Go to post)29-03-2013 @ 20:01 
Post Edited: 29.03.2013 @ 20:02 PM by AMH_Power
Thanks all again, really good to see the community isn't a big clique!

Really glad to be here.

Had a couple of PM's asking how I train, so for what it's worth (don't know if there is a better place to post it!), here is my regime.

http://www.angelware.co.uk/mebelp.xls

It's in excel format, just bang in your realistic targets at the top and the program will do the rest. The only thing it doesn't give is accessory work (I'm a strong believer that EVERYONE should have completely different accessory work, as the priority should be your weak muscle group/movement pattern)

If anyone fancies taking a leap of faith and trying it out, I'm positive it won't be in vain, and I'd be in your debt if you let us know how you progressed with it so I can make tweaks where necessary.

Thanks again for having me!
» New Member! (Go to post)29-03-2013 @ 18:20 
bigwmd said:Welcome to the forum Aaron.

I'm down in Pompey this weekend but will be back in colerne on Tuesday. Are you on leave next week?

Yeah not in work for 2 weeks! Drop us a text when you get back mate. You training tues night?

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions