View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)19-12-2020 @ 18:36 
Post Edited: 19.12.2020 @ 18:36 PM by AMH_Power
Just following up my claim, todays local competition:

Squat:
280- Literally couldn't gauge difficulty
305- Very easy, life time pb.
320- Rocked on to my heels during the descent, nearly recovered it but not today. I'm absolutely capable of this. Felt like the balance f**ked me more than the weight but it is what it is.

Bench:
205- Felt like s**t
215- Felt like s**t
225- Felt like RPE8, liftime comp pb (and paused lifetime pb).

Deadlift:

280- Comfy
305- Comfy but very slow, more in the tank for sure. Matched lifetime pb.
Skipped 3rd lift; still leaving me +15kg lifetime total pb with plenty in the tank.

Weighed in at 102kg too!

MY 12 year old step son also lifted, he did 175/90/180 all comfy at 80kg.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)18-12-2020 @ 22:11 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Aaron, do you have any long-term injuries?

Good luck with the new maxes Happy

Sort of; I've battled with a lower back injury since I fell out of a tree when I was 14, and some days it just locks up and I get full blown sciatica (15 years in the Army probably didn't help).
I've had a couple of grade 1 pec tears, and a torn meniscus in my knee.
I have tendonosis in my tricep tendon. I was born with underdeveloped/malformed hips so I sometimes have a pit of impingement here too that alters how I have to lift.

These aren't the biggest issues for me though, I have crohns disease which sometimes f**ks me and suffer with post lymes syndrome where getting out of bed can be a bit of a drama some days, but usually ok by 3-4pm despite feeling drugged up/tired.

But I have 2 feet, 2 legs, 2 arms and 2 hands. It's more than some people have so I just get on with it and make no compromises to my training. Cowards compromise.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)18-12-2020 @ 22:04 
Funky_monkey said:
I am on week 11 of my current routine. Had probably a good 4 weeks of rest before this, if not just messing about. I've definitely has more than 2 weeks off lifting within the 2-3 months prior to the aforementioned 11 weeks of training I've been doing consistently, and I even skipped 2 sessions due to just being too knackered. My routine is pretty well-structured, and my main gripe is that the sessions are just too easy. It's generally sets of 3-4 with 80% or so. 2 squat and bench days, 2 squat and deadlift days. Squat accessories on deadlift day, deadlift accessories on squat day.
I train because I enjoy it. I take my 2 coffees, put my music on, and switch off from my retarded customers for an hour. I suppose the "lowered maximum ceiling" thing makes sense. Can I use that as an excuse for being weak as pish on squats and deads, whilst my bench remains at what I know to be my max ceiling. I just know I used to be able to hit higher s/d numbers.

I think this is 100% a mental/training issue; if it was hormones, bench would be the first to die as the highest ratio of androgen receptors in a male is typically in the delts (and a high ratio also in the triceps/pecs, just not as much) The legs aren't too dissimilar to a females; hence why so women can get jacked legs but you rarely see 'hench' shoulders on drug free females.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)17-12-2020 @ 19:47 
I'm 35 and having a mock meet on Saturday... I will absolutely, categorically hit new maxes. Never taken peds and don't intend on for the foreseeable future.

When did you last take 2 weeks off without lifting at all? You'd be surprised how many times this simple solution resolves stagnation in those that have trained for a very long time.

If you have had a complete rest in the last year or two, I'd ask the question... when you go to train do you go because of habit/hobby/routine, or because you are hell bent on getting stronger than you was a week ago?

The fire in your belly will go before age related decline. In fact, I dare say if you are sub 45, the 'decline' with regards to age probably isn't a thing for a strength athlete... it's more a case of a lowered maximum ceiling... but 99% of us won't get to the ceiling anyway.
» Concept 2 Rowing Times. (Go to post)07-11-2020 @ 22:10 
Cheers lads. Will have a crack tomorrow and see how I get on, I think I do squeeze the life out of it for the entirety. Will try relaxing on the forward.

Just looked at the world record, seems a few people have actually beaten it... Guessing the WR has to be done in an actual event or something?

The 500m record is insane!

One last thing; do you typically have it on max drag for the sprints? The 100m I feel I lose half a second getting the first pull going
» Concept 2 Rowing Times. (Go to post)06-11-2020 @ 17:26 
macroth said:
Smashing the 100m, and no surprise there! I reckon you can do a lot of damage over 500m with just a bit of practice.

Thank you mate. Just looked at your other times... feel like a 90kg bench presser watching julius maddox! Crazy.

Might sound a bit nancy, do you chalk up to row!? By hands/forearms/bicep tendon start screaming even after 300m. I legit think that's the biggest limiter on my 500m; cardio is 95% there I think, it's the muscular side.
» Concept 2 Rowing Times. (Go to post)05-11-2020 @ 21:38 
Post Edited: 05.11.2020 @ 21:39 PM by AMH_Power
Boar said:
great news !!
If you post your times on here I update the tables ! I will put your times up probably tomoz

And 1:00 achieved 353m between these posts. f**k me thats nail's. Biceps gonna fall off!

47s/m (570W)... all arms, no joke. Just got a new appreciation of your rowing ability mate. Well done
» Concept 2 Rowing Times. (Go to post)05-11-2020 @ 21:24 
How do I get added to these tables mate?

Can I just row and video? I've done 13.6sec 100m and 1:29sec 500m on my real first attempts after playing with the drag. Not a clue how to row but looking at the tables these seem decent enough and I'm keen on improving these.

Literally got the concept 2 last week! Expensive as s**t but well worth it (I say 'I' got it, it was a birthday gift for the Mrs (wink)).
» Good exercises requiring little/no additional weight (Go to post)03-11-2020 @ 14:17 
Post Edited: 03.11.2020 @ 14:22 PM by AMH_Power
» Good exercises requiring little/no additional weight (Go to post)03-11-2020 @ 14:16 
Post Edited: 03.11.2020 @ 14:21 PM by AMH_Power
FML. My post is getting cut, and it won't let me extend it.
I did write a full plyometric training plan... but long story short, plyometrics are my go to if I have no weights.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)08-10-2020 @ 08:42 
PaulSavage said:Just watch the videos as for who's stronger etc can't remember what happened with that but don't think there was a bet but definitely found deadlifting tougher than expected since taking gear etc my glass back has just not cooperated, though for the most part I've just not been lifting heavy other than pressing, focusing much more on coaching Becca or gripsport.

I don't see why she couldn't do that total in the future it would just depend on injuries and how much she wanted to do it. Neither of us have done powerlifting lifts. Plans for this training cycle have her top out at 245kg ssb for 3, me at 305kg for 3, her deadlift 230kg + 50kg bands / 300kg eccentrics, mine 280kg + 50kg of bands / 365kg eccentrics. Neither of us bench normally, I think I did 150kg for 8 close grip last cycle. Her maybe around the same with 100kg but this is always after everything else. Powerlifting isn't really in the thought process at the moment to be honest.

If she hits them thats some legit awesome stuff mate! Whats the next big event for you guys? The push/pull?
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)07-10-2020 @ 20:25 
PaulSavage said:
Yeah, she's mentioned it a few times, would just be to go for the all time world record total like Thor and hixxy have though so would be a one off type deal down the line when she's strong enough.

I've not been on here in ages! Last we debated you was to do 10 reps with 300kg or something, did you win this bet with whoever it was and did they pay up?

I think the total raw total for a female is 772; do you honestly think she would do this?
Even if she had a 300kg squat/deadlift, she'd have to bench 172+... how would you expect her lift breakdown to look for attempting this?

What are her legit best lifts that would pass in a comp? I didn't think even you was near that total or is she stronger than you now with all the work?
» Europe's strongest man (Go to post)07-09-2020 @ 13:26 
Awesome effort from Luke. He knew he would do well, he's always travelling/training with different strongmen who are regarded as some of the best at particular events... and they all pretty much end up saying the same thing; he is going to be the WSM.

Top guy too, just happy to be around people and is ultra humble. Well happy for him!
» One stretch (Go to post)28-08-2020 @ 10:21 
I don't stretch but if I did it would probably be the 90/90 or warrior lunge
» rep range for tendon strength (Go to post)30-06-2020 @ 11:49 
Ham said:Interestingly I have read some studies many years ago showing isometrics were superior for tendon "stiffness" I believe was the terminology used.

That's interesting mate, don't suppose you have any reading references on this? I'm a big believer in performance increases from tendon stiffness... the best lifters who don't train this trait tend to have naturally stiff tendons; so any stones I'm yet to turn over are welcome haha

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions