REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 170 guests
You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts

View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

» VBT Guide (Go to post)12-09-2021 @ 09:56 
danbaseley said:Thanks for this - especially the bit on how to actually measure the bar speed.

Happy

Thanks mate!

Even without a velocity meter, it can all be done retrospectively, then on future sessions you can simply record your heaviest set, calculate velocity (and as such get your true % of what the weight is)... so you know your exact 1RM for that day. Great for tracking.

Or.. you can use the open source scientific software called 'tracker', you can use this to calculate velocity from a video mega accurately. When comparing it to my Flex velocity sensor which uses lasers, its within 0.01m/s of it!

I'll make a video some point to show how to use it
» VBT Guide (Go to post)11-09-2021 @ 23:10 
ps. All you need to do is fill in the green bits. The table lower down will auto populate. I wrote the spreadsheet so people actually understand wtf is going on, instead of some magical auto generator that people blindly follow.

I've left ALL the formulas open and explained how/why. This will allow coaches to rip parts and make their own format etc.
» VBT Guide (Go to post)11-09-2021 @ 23:08 
Post Edited: 12.09.2021 @ 09:59 AM by AMH_Power
If anyone is looking to get into VBT but wouldn't know where to start, I've wrote a mini-guide / one stop shop for building a velocity profile and giving examples of how to totally autoregulate load, sets, reps and fatigue %. The autoregulation requires a velocity meter, but tracking performance can all be done retrospectively purely from video (and a one time use of a tape measure to get your ROM).

Please feel free to share...

I'm taking on more of a coaching role at the minute as I sadly suffered a stroke due to covid trashing my left vertebral artery in my neck; leaving me with a f**ked cerebrellum and medula. So, for the next 6 months other lifters are my priority. I'll then be back stronger than ever. Using the methods in the spreadsheet, I got up to a 242.5 bench and got 250 half way! I doubled a 310 squat @RPE9, and did 6x6x270kg deadlift. I can't stress enough how effective VBT is when employed properly. It's sad to see some people using it purely for tracking purposes... this is crazy.

Anyway, I hope this helps others as much as it has (and will) myself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wm6tRkKmb-q1OTEFxQIHIB4AVw--URBQ/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105250859069022658005&rtpof=true&sd=true
» Powerlifting Bar between £300 and £500 (Go to post)09-09-2021 @ 10:15 
Post Edited: 09.09.2021 @ 10:18 AM by AMH_Power
Best 3 bars for price are Tiger Power bar, Rhino Strength Power bar and Rogue Ohio

The Rhino is like 230 quid or something and is legit IPF spec. The former a bit more (still under 300 if I remember right) and is outright incredible. Had mine 3 years and looks brand new. Had the Rhino under 2 month so can't comment on it's longevity but for the price its insane. Knurling is amazing.

For reference, I've owned a TPB buddy capps, Strength Shop bas***d bar and a titex.

The TPB rusted on the barrels, the strength shop bas***d bar snapped on me mid squat, and the titex just seemed to lose its knurling over time, even with plastic bristled brushing.

Depending on budget (these are all sound budget anyway), I honestly can't recommend anything other than:

low budget - Rhino Strengthshop Power bar:
https://rhinostrengthshop.co.uk/product/29mm-power-bar/

mid budget - Tiger Pro Power Bar (this has actually come up in price to 329)
https://www.extremefitness.co.uk/the-tiger-power-bar

high budget - Rogue Ohio
https://www.rogueeurope.eu/rogue-20-kg-ohio-power-bar-stainless-ste...

I prefer the knurling on both the Rhino/Tiger vs the Ohio, but I prefer the thinner drum stop of the Ohio (except squatting with catch bars as I hit them haha).

The rogue ohio is a sound bar, but it is absolutely no where near twice the quality of the Rhino despite twice the price... this isn't to suggest the Ohio isn't a steal, it's more a testament to how good the Rhino pricing is. If anyone in West Yorkshire and wants to have a look at all three bars in person, give me a shout!
» Gym flooring (Go to post)20-04-2021 @ 12:25 
danbaseley said:That looks first class.

Great job there Aaron.

Just noticed the GHR, band pegs and dip station.

Noice.

Thanks mate! Think I'm pretty much set. No excuse not to reach a 900+ total now haha
» Gym flooring (Go to post)20-04-2021 @ 11:15 
ps. If anyone is in the Calderdale area/West Yorkshire and stuck for anywhere to train you are more than welcome (or even just for a session). Not sure what the rules on visitors and s**t is so may need to consider.
» Gym flooring (Go to post)20-04-2021 @ 11:07 
Post Edited: 20.04.2021 @ 11:08 AM by AMH_Power
Finished. Thanks all for recommendations. Basically thin structural ply for the whole floor, 18mm hard rubber interlocking mats on top. Deadicated strengthshop deadlift frame.

Dropped 200kg from waist height and it can't be heard from upstairs (it's the lower ground/basement level of the house). Win.

https://i.ibb.co/F7XfL9f/174654106-1939035069567917-1377593729937603110-n.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/kq2wWBM/174844237-910555796156856-5972579537224311620-n.jpg
» coronavirus (Go to post)17-04-2021 @ 12:03 
Post Edited: 17.04.2021 @ 12:04 PM by AMH_Power
What's the score with the vaccine analysis prints? Looking at them, it looks pretty grim for side effects etc.

I've not had the vaccine, and don't intend to this moment in time. Right now, other than personal immunity, it's still not clear if it stops the spread. It 'may' stop the spread on the grounds that it may reduce symptoms which obviously correlate to your infectiousness.

But, this means without the vaccine I could be a) asymptomatic and carry the same chance of spreading it as a vaccine recipient, or b) I'd have symptoms in which case I'd isolate.

So right now, it seems there isn't a community reason to take on the risk of the non-time tested product beyond a decreased risk of needing a hospital bed, but when people are getting s**t faced 1-2x a week I'm not sure I can justify ANY risk for the community for the small chance I'd take up a hospital bed. I'm pretty altruistic I'm nature but if it's not even clear if it reduces transmission, then getting s**t injected into me where nobody has any liability, especially without knowing the long term effects is a balance between heroic and idiotic.

As for personal immunity and treatment; Thymalin out performed all vaccine modalities/trials AND treatment methods. This would be my go to if s**t hit the fan.

It also extends human life and normalises the human genome. It's just really expensive, probably due to it's geroprotective nature.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/964208/COVID-19_AstraZeneca_Vaccine_Analysis_Print__2_.pdf
» Joists (Go to post)10-04-2021 @ 16:02 
PeteHodgson said:Kinda looks like it has been burned/scorched. I burning is a treatment used for weatherproofing timber sometimes, but probably not for internal structures. So...I’m out. Sorry.

Edit: if it was this, there’d be charcoal on your tool! Pardon!!

Don’t be as strong, problem solved.

Haha thanks mate, these are under the bedrooms, the gym is in a concrete basement!
» Joists (Go to post)10-04-2021 @ 14:45 
jt said:Ground floor?

From the pic it looks like the timbers may have been painted with something which may now be falling off. Any aroma?

I would cut out a bit of the chipboard for a better inspection.

Do the cut over the centre of 2 joists to make the "rebuild" easier.

Just remember asbestos was not banned until 1999!!!!!!!!!

I have a theory that if your house is over 100years old and has not fallen down yet it is unlikely to do so.

Thanks mate. Battle I have is there's laminate flooring over the chipboard which means I can only work backward from an edge to get it up. From the bit I can get to, I've stabbed with a screw driver and it literally knocks as if hitting new timber. I can't push the screwdriver through it and can't get anything to crumble off...which I'm guessing is a good sign.

No aroma. Other than the colour (which is what prompted the post), it seems fine. Obviously reading horror stories of white rot etc, and flapped a bit. I can't find anything that resembles it so I'm wondering if it is some coating/treatment that's made it look this way and nothing to worry about.
» Joists (Go to post)10-04-2021 @ 11:55 
Post Edited: 10.04.2021 @ 11:56 AM by AMH_Power
I'll try embed an image. This is a screenshot from a video I took from dangling my phone down the tiny gap behind the skirting board; didn't fancy trashing the floor. The edge I could access I gace it a good stabbing with a screwdriver and it just 'knocked' like solid wood. It's almost like there's a layer of something crumbling; I've seen dry rot before and it doesn't look like this so wondering if there's been some treatment in the past that's corroded giving the weird texture. Be good to get your thoughts, if it's something that needs resolving I'd rather voluntarily do it before I'm forced to...

https://i.ibb.co/19j2s9d/Screenshot-20210410-100429-2.jpg

Really appreciate this. Things like this legit triggers my anxiety haha

Also for scale, the joists are as wide as my palm and about 10 inch tall, spaced at aabout 12 inch apart.
» Joists (Go to post)10-04-2021 @ 01:52 
Does anyone know about joists, I noticed some of my chipboard has a bit of movement so I slid my phone down to get a photo to see the cause (and it literally is just sitting a cm above the joists), but was a bit concerned about the joists themselves, they have a very odd colour to them, despite no visible degredation and feel ok if prodded with a knife (no crumbling or softness).

Don't suppose I can send the picture to anyone who knows what they are actually looking at?

The house was build late 1800s just for context.
» Gym flooring (Go to post)22-03-2021 @ 20:15 
IrishMarc said:Ply under stable mats sounds good.

We have used stable mats and then rubber platform on top

We use these to create the platforms - https://www.slip-not.co.uk/productdetail/Rubber-Gym-Mats-Interlocki...

They have bumped the price I see but you would be looking 150 quid for a 3x1m deadlift platform.

These tiles are bomb proof and really help to deaden the impact of the weights. On their own however they def don't provide enough protection as my new garage gym floor can attest.

This is similar to what I'm doing the whole floor in, then I'm building platforms on top with ply and the softer type matting similar to what you see in kids parks etc. That's the plan anyway haha. The biggest battle I had was ripping a kitchen out!
» Gym flooring (Go to post)21-03-2021 @ 21:50 
unit94 said:What's your floor plan for the gym? What kit are you going with?

Thanks all. Its looking like a squat platform with a bench platform opposite, then a dead platform adjacent (and the opposite wall to the dead platform has doors on so this side would be free).

I've had to rip a kitchen and s**t out first...
Ended up learning to plumb, remove a kitchen and do my own wiring. Had relevant trades bods check my work over and is all sound which is a result!

I've used acoustic underlay, and waiting on 20mm hard interlocking rubber. I'm then going to build dedicated platforms ontop of these using ply/multi material matts etc.
» Gym flooring (Go to post)13-03-2021 @ 16:32 
LessThanLuke said:I'd personally turn the whole floor into a platform of sorts. 2 layers of plywood and a layer of stall mats. 5m x 5m will cost you around 600 for the plywood and 300ish for the mats and would be bombproof. Or if its just you using it and it's not going to get absolutely battered go 1 layer of plywood and cut the wood cost in half.

Nice idea. Where you looking for the stable mats mate? Closest I can find to cover 5x5 is about 750 in just the matting. Appreciate your help

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions