You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitBox Squats

Box Squats

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

bigbadbishIcon...31-03-2011 @ 21:13 
A World class farmer
Member 576, 3429 posts
SQ 350, BP 200, DL 400
950.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Aren't they hazardous to the spine?

No

Common mistake on the box squat is losing core and back tightness and having a rest at the bottom producing a pelvic tilt and rounding of the spine.

Stay toight like a tiger! Grin
milsyIcon...31-03-2011 @ 21:16 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Aren't they hazardous to the spine?

i think the best way to think about it is your focusing on the negative part of the movment pushing your arse back activating the glutes and so on if you drop onto the bench this is bad and a sign of weak hams

best way to think of it is pretend the box is a scale you only want to sit and register the weight not sit and collapse your form causeing compresion

and dont let your qauds drive you of the bench it should be the squesing of the glutes and hams that get you off the box therefore giving good cross over out of the hole in a conventional sqaut

this what i belive anyway
IainKendrickIcon...31-03-2011 @ 21:33 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Decent enough assistance lift. Never noticed much carryover to my squat or deadlift.
IainKendrickIcon...31-03-2011 @ 21:35 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
bigbadbish said:
No
Common mistake on the box squat is losing core and back tightness and having a rest at the bottom producing a pelvic tilt and rounding of the spine.
Stay toight like a tiger! Grin

Yes it can happen.

Keeping tight dosn't make much difference to the potential compression of the spine. I know people whom have had injures through box squating from this. Dosn't seem all too common though but could happen.
Alistair_InglisIcon...01-04-2011 @ 00:43 
Member 1782, 153 posts
SQ 355, BP 200, DL 300
855.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
I feel for an uneq lifter regular squats are the only way of improving, the box is more specific to squat suits as the suits are like sitting down on a box.

Box squats also only really seem to help lifters that squat to/above parallel as the biomechanics dont change too much sitting on a box if your are above parallel, squatting below parallel on a box changes the movement far too much and dosnt work too well imo.

As for weight being lifted with box squats, if you sit on the box and then press the weight back up you will lift less, if you slam the weight down you might lift more.

I personally dont rate box squats well as i did them for months a few years ago and my squat went down, some people will say they are only good for assistance work but i personally think all you have to do for a better squat is squat (for squats it seems assistance only really does things for eq lifters).

For an uneq lifter or someone who has to squat below paralell i think training squats like an oly lifter is the best (for a raw lifter i dont think a super wide stance is good ither), for an eq lifter who squats to/ above parallel i think box squats are more of a benifit.

All this is my opinion but to back up my argument to a degree i would say how many oly lifters box squat?
SteveIcon...01-04-2011 @ 08:24 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Alistair_Inglis said:All this is my opinion but to back up my argument to a degree i would say how many oly lifters box squat?

Olympic lifters need to be able to recover from a very deep position they have dropped into dynamically - the fact you don't see many olympic lifter use box squats isn't really a justification for a powerlifter not to box squat.
ThingIcon...11-04-2011 @ 16:32 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Would doing Front squats to a box be ok instead of conventional Box Squats?

reason i ask is that i cant do normal box squats just now and would like to use some form of box squat in my routine. i know clint darden uses them from time to time

does anyone here use them?
John_CIcon...11-04-2011 @ 16:35 
Member 2213, 300 posts
SQ 235, BP 130, DL 215
580.0 kgs @ 75kgs Eq
IainKendrick said:Decent enough assistance lift. Never noticed much carryover to my squat or deadlift.
Most people find they carry over to equipped squatting the most.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitBox Squats
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions