REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 209 guests

the greatest strongman show on earth?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

macaIconthe greatest strongman show on earth?24-04-2010 @ 11:01 
Member 1224, 652 posts
no matter what sport your in the question of who is the greatest will always be debated and not everyone will agree.
just out of curiosity i would like to see your thoughts on the greatest strongman final of all time and who would come out on top?
heres some names i would add in no paticular order:

jeff capes
terry hollands
bill kazmier
marious pudzianowski
jon paul sigmarson
derek poundstone
big z
sven karlson
magnus ver magnuson
jouko ahola

i think that would make for a tasty final who would win f**k knows??
whats your top 10 and who would win?
martinbIcon...24-04-2010 @ 11:32 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
no offence to Terry, but I'd have to have Vasyl Virastyuk in stead of him

he is a WSM winner after all

other than that, I couldn't really argue with the line up
Mr_BenIcon...24-04-2010 @ 13:28 
Member 1216, 194 posts
SQ 240, BP 160, DL 280
680.0 kgs @ 115kgs UnEq
That would be some final ! I recon big Z would win, it would be great to watch.
adamkeepIcon...24-04-2010 @ 13:39 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
martinb said:no offence to Terry, but I'd have to have Vasyl Virastyuk in stead of him

he is a WSM winner after all

other than that, I couldn't really argue with the line up

Vasyl won because the prior qualifier points were tossed out going into the finals. Pudz should have won hands down, even with the placings he had in the finals he would have been way ahead at the end.

as for the winner I think it depends on the time i guess. If it were early 2000's Pudz he would mop the floor with a lot of those guys, but right now i would have to say Z would win it all. He is just in amazing shape right now.
BodIcon...24-04-2010 @ 13:49 
Member 174, 1237 posts
adamkeep said:
Vasyl won because the prior qualifier points were tossed out going into the finals. Pudz should have won hands down, even with the placings he had in the finals he would have been way ahead at the end.
as for the winner I think it depends on the time i guess. If it were early 2000's Pudz he would mop the floor with a lot of those guys, but right now i would have to say Z would win it all. He is just in amazing shape right now.

Irrespective of that, Vasyl is still f**king awsome.
martinbIcon...24-04-2010 @ 13:50 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:

I just really meant that Vasyl had been overlooked, in the earlt 2000's he was always there or thereabouts. I thought Vasyl won the year Pudz was stripped of 3rd for some sort of failed drugs test?

Anyway, agree with what you say about the winner, I still think it would depend on the type of events(alot hevier generally now than in the 90's) personally I would love to see Ahola vs Pudz on the mobilty based events, and BigZ up angainst mad Kaz on something static
adamkeepIcon...24-04-2010 @ 13:54 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
martinb said:
I just really meant that Vasyl had been overlooked, in the earlt 2000's he was always there or thereabouts. I thought Vasyl won the year Pudz was stripped of 3rd for some sort of failed drugs test?
Anyway, agree with what you say about the winner, I still think it would depend on the type of events(alot hevier generally now than in the 90's) personally I would love to see Ahola vs Pudz on the mobilty based events, and BigZ up angainst mad Kaz on something static

It was the year Pudz took 3rd and then was stripped for coke use I think. But Pudz was way anhead going into the finals in points, they tossed the points and started over. None of the events were really his events but he held on and took 3rd in the finals standings, but if you added in all the points he got from the quals he was ahead by a s**t ton!
BodIcon...24-04-2010 @ 14:09 
Member 174, 1237 posts
adamkeep said:
It was the year Pudz took 3rd and then was stripped for coke use I think. But Pudz was way anhead going into the finals in points, they tossed the points and started over. None of the events were really his events but he held on and took 3rd in the finals standings, but if you added in all the points he got from the quals he was ahead by a s**t ton!

The 'heats', such as they were, were a clusterf**k, but your are wrong about the points. When the field was cut to six, Vasyl had 55 pts, Pudz had 55, Z had 54.
MrSmallIcon...24-04-2010 @ 14:19 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:

It was adrenaline not coke (so I read).

I don't get that, they reset the points halfway through the final?
Or do you mean points from the qualifying heats were discarded? I thought that happened every year?
macaIcon...24-04-2010 @ 14:20 
Member 1224, 652 posts
Post Edited: 24.04.2010 @ 14:20 PM by maca
if each athelete was at theyre absoloute peak i recon maybe kaz would edge it??
adamkeepIcon...24-04-2010 @ 16:29 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
Bod said:
The 'heats', such as they were, were a clusterf**k, but your are wrong about the points. When the field was cut to six, Vasyl had 55 pts, Pudz had 55, Z had 54.

I'll go back and look, maybe i am mistaken. I do remember him getting a ton of "bonus" points that year and him being way ahead. Hmmmm....

As for Kaz maybe taking it....not a chance bro. He was good, but not near the level these guys are at. I think even with focusing on strongman and not just showing up to compete like they used to that he still wouldn't win it. He was strong, but certainly not athletic enough.
martinbIcon...24-04-2010 @ 16:42 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:
I'll go back and look, maybe i am mistaken. I do remember him getting a ton of "bonus" points that year and him being way ahead. Hmmmm....
As for Kaz maybe taking it....not a chance bro. He was good, but not near the level these guys are at. I think even with focusing on strongman and not just showing up to compete like they used to that he still wouldn't win it. He was strong, but certainly not athletic enough.

I don't think we really know how athletic he was, cause we never saw him do the things we see the modern guys do

Be honest, if you didn't know about bigZ and you just saw him, would you think there was any chance he could be as athletic as he is? And Kaz looks a hell of alot more athletic than bigZ!
LukeIcon...24-04-2010 @ 17:18 
Member 1227, 152 posts
What about Badenhorst, Hoeberl, Kiri and Wolders, they always usually finished in the top 3 whenever they competed
buzzIcon...24-04-2010 @ 17:56 
Go ! go ! team strengthshop !!!
Member 18, 5295 posts
SQ 185, BP 130, DL 230
545.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
MrSmall said:
It was adrenaline not coke (so I read).

You mean amphetamine?
BodIcon...24-04-2010 @ 18:52 
Member 174, 1237 posts
adamkeep said:

The only reason I could remember the points was that I was watching it last week. I capped this off the disc:

[IMG]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6080/04wsmday5.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with
ImageShack.us

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions