Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosAnother Cardio Thread...

Another Cardio Thread...

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

losing fat whilst keeping all muscle - the holy grail !!

nice easy jogging or mabie X-trainer , but its mega boring and you need to be dedicated to stay with it
Yeah I was expecting it to be around 3000. Even an app on my phone is ttelling me 3300 lol.

Cheers for the advice guys will give it a bash and see what works best
Kerr1992 said:Yeah I was expecting it to be around 3000. Even an app on my phone is ttelling me 3300 lol.

Cheers for the advice guys will give it a bash and see what works best

I'm currently 105-106kg and currently consuming just over 2100kcal
Rodger said:
I'm currently 105-106kg and currently consuming just over 2100kcal

You salad dodger
brownbear said:
You salad dodger

weight is on its way down Wink
AdamT
I'm carb cycling. On the 3 heavy work out days I consume about 200-300g carbs. Days I rest or do light work I would eat less than hundred.

I do hill sprints couple times a week and some heavy bag work. Also jog slow at a distance once a week. I can lose fat pretty easy this way and pretty much maintain strength which I suppose isn't hard because I'm not strong.
shanejer
Don't listen to an app

Eat something and track it if losing weight then your good ... If gaining eat less

When fat loss slows do some cardio or eat less

Tbh tho your fat as f**k (no offence LOL) Probably don't even need cardio at this stage and will fall off
Jeez I'm no that bad mate lol. Aye I'm fat but no "fat as f**k" :-P

I can still see my feet and my knob lol.

It's like a small tyre round my waist lol. My body fat % was just a guess.
AMH_Power
JohnGym said:If you have no immediate rush to lose the weight do it entirely with a small daily calorie deficit and correct macro management. f**k cardio.

Lifting weights and a small calorie deficit is the best way to preserve muscle on a cut. It just takes a little longer.

Cardio makes you fat.

This this this
Kerr1992 said:See i'm fortunate to work in a sports centre where I can talk to many gym instructors about training but the downside to this is that you get many conflicting arguments :-( lol

Some recommend sprints etc but some also recommend some low intensity running with both saying the other is crap for maintaining muscle lol.

I'll maybe have a bash at some sprints.

How would use do sprint training? length and sets etc.

You can go round in circles for a long time with this.

A lot will depend on how you prefer to train as all the methods work to a degree. If you want to add cardio then high intensity interval training followed immediately by some steady state cardio will be effective and not take too long, e.g. a half an hour session of 10 mins of 30 secs very hard / 30 secs recovery followed by 20 mins moderate 3 times a week will do a decent job without killing your strength sessions.

Alternatively you can forget traditional cardio completely and manipulate your rest times between sets and exercises either by gradually reducing them until they are down to 30 secs or by using escalating density training (EDT).

My preferred option for EDT would be to pair up two compound exercises, use your 5-6 rep max weight and super-set between the two, resting as much as required, performing sets of 3 (this may drop as the session progresses) and completing as many reps as possible in 15 mins. Rest a few minutes as you set up a fresh pairing and repeat the process. The aim is then to increase the number of reps within the time limit the next time you perform the same routine. Brutal but effective.

I will be doing something along these lines for the first phase of training after my next comp' (which is a static max lifts only comp) to drop some fat and improve my conditioning whilst performing useful movements for the comp' that follows in June.
AdamT
Ben_F said:
You can go round in circles for a long time with this.
A lot will depend on how you prefer to train as all the methods work to a degree. If you want to add cardio then high intensity interval training followed immediately by some steady state cardio will be effective and not take too long, e.g. a half an hour session of 10 mins of 30 secs very hard / 30 secs recovery followed by 20 mins moderate 3 times a week will do a decent job without killing your strength sessions.
Alternatively you can forget traditional cardio completely and manipulate your rest times between sets and exercises either by gradually reducing them until they are down to 30 secs or by using escalating density training (EDT).
My preferred option for EDT would be to pair up two compound exercises, use your 5-6 rep max weight and super-set between the two, resting as much as required, performing sets of 3 (this may drop as the session progresses) and completing as many reps as possible in 15 mins. Rest a few minutes as you set up a fresh pairing and repeat the process. The aim is then to increase the number of reps within the time limit the next time you perform the same routine. Brutal but effective.
I will be doing something along these lines for the first phase of training after my next comp' (which is a static max lifts only comp) to drop some fat and improve my conditioning whilst performing useful movements for the comp' that follows in June.

some great info here
Post Edited: 26.01.2015 @ 14:57 PM by MaxCooper
Kerr1992 said:See i'm fortunate to work in a sports centre where I can talk to many gym instructors about training but the downside to this is that you get many conflicting arguments :-( lol

Some recommend sprints etc but some also recommend some low intensity running with both saying the other is crap for maintaining muscle lol.

I'll maybe have a bash at some sprints.

How would use do sprint training? length and sets etc.

Depends how much other work your doing: already doing alot of things that tax your recovery (ie weight sessions) do low intensity; if your doing less weight sessions and recover well sprints are good ones not better than the other imo its all situational

best HIIT in my opinion is starting at 15s sprint 90s rest x 7, can do on anything really, i find prowlers taxing on the joints when doing it frequently, prefer a bike myself

Also what shanjer said on the calories, everyones so individual trackers are only really good for a starting point weekly/regular weigh ins with agjustments are needed really

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosAnother Cardio Thread...
Return to top View Desktop Site