You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWeightlifting

Weightlifting

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

brynevansIcon...27-02-2008 @ 09:36 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
little_a said:
brynevans said:
Should be interesting to see how many medals we bring home for weightlifting at this years Olympics with WCWL's £480,000 per year budget I've high expectations

Are those actual figures Bryn? If they are I would suggest someone in BWLA asks for an inquiry with your statement above in mind. Thats disgracefull.
There are young kids out there working their bollox off because they love the sport, and they'll train from now till their ar****le heals up and never get any kind of cut of that money, and probably be hounded out of the sport for being 'elite'.

Medals? Lets work on getting someone there first.

Those were the figures that were being metioned at our AGM by Bill Barton and he should know, Apparently there are a number of employees of WCWL who are earning 30-40k pa whilst the actual lifters get the odd £50 to help them with their training. Some of the promising lifters have stopped competing on the wcwl squad now such as Michael Howarth, Mark Clegg and Kevin Stuart.
I think it was always going to be this way where those officials at the top got all the cash and hardly any went into improving clubs and developing young lifters. As for bwla funding it's all unclear, but as soon as the olympics is over in 2012 there won't be much money about for anyone.
little_aIcon...27-02-2008 @ 09:57 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
brynevans said:
as soon as the olympics is over in 2012 there won't be much money about for anyone.

Sadly, an opinion shared by many across the sporting spectrum in this country. Most see 2012 as the date for armageddon.Unhappy
FinchIcon...27-02-2008 @ 10:24 
Gonna outlive my opposition !!
Member 123, 4038 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 135.0, DL 232.5
570.0 kgs @ 117kgs UnEq
brynevans said:
little_a said:
brynevans said:
Should be interesting to see how many medals we bring home for weightlifting at this years Olympics with WCWL's £480,000 per year budget I've high expectations

Are those actual figures Bryn? If they are I would suggest someone in BWLA asks for an inquiry with your statement above in mind. Thats disgracefull.
There are young kids out there working their bollox off because they love the sport, and they'll train from now till their ar****le heals up and never get any kind of cut of that money, and probably be hounded out of the sport for being 'elite'.

Medals? Lets work on getting someone there first.

Those were the figures that were being metioned at our AGM by Bill Barton and he should know, Apparently there are a number of employees of WCWL who are earning 30-40k pa whilst the actual lifters get the odd £50 to help them with their training. Some of the promising lifters have stopped competing on the wcwl squad now such as Michael Howarth, Mark Clegg and Kevin Stuart.
I think it was always going to be this way where those officials at the top got all the cash and hardly any went into improving clubs and developing young lifters. As for bwla funding it's all unclear, but as soon as the olympics is over in 2012 there won't be much money about for anyone.

The odd £50 towards the shoes he is wearing in the vid was approx what Max got last year.
Also, Max actually pays us £300 per year to train at the Farm.
JoniIcon...27-02-2008 @ 10:33 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
some bureocrats are making a nice living out of this mess though. I bet they feel very important and think that without them the whole sport would disappear even quicker...
Martin1956Icon...27-02-2008 @ 10:41 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7745 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Post Edited: 27.02.2008 @ 10:43 AM by Martin1956
That's what happens when you put bureaucrats in charge of something that requires positive and dynamic leadership. Add in the fact that they know f**k all about the sport and it's a double whammy. The money being talked about was the extra sports funding Gordon Brown introduced to develop medal winners for 2012. Weightlifting got less money than any other sport (next lowest was synchronized swimming) but even then it got £1.5 million over three years. It's a national scandal that this money is lining the pockets of WCW officials and virtually nothing is finding its way to the athletes. And they're not interested in the next generation of talent - because that won't be ready for 2012. It's a huge subject that really gets me angry, but I'll leave it there.

Just to put that money in context, BWLA can't afford to employ a promotion and development officer at probably £40K - £50K a year to bring the sport forward. Madness!
little_aIcon...27-02-2008 @ 11:09 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
Just to put that money in context, BWLA can't afford to employ a promotion and development officer at probably £40K - £50K a year to bring the sport forward. Madness!

Without getting into BWLA's financial affairs I do know of one case where by a lifter was pulled for an OOC test. They were pretty much dying of flu at the time and informed the tester that they were welcome to stay but they hadnt been able to stomach anything for 2 days and wouldnt be able to give a sample for god knows how long. Also it was at the time as the novo virus and all its mates were doing the rounds, and the tester was understandably worried about catching it. As the athlete had cooperated as fully as possible they agreed to leave the test and document it accordingly. The report was received by BWLA and as the lifter has been tested dozens of times recently they agreed that there was no case to answer. UKS, disagreed and said there was, and that BWLA should sort this. BWLA lawyer reads the case and states no case to answer. UKS then accept the statement of the BWLA lawyer. (still with me?)

No doping violation has been committed.
No athlete charged.
No benefit to anyone whatsoever.
Cost of BWLA lawyers time? Well over 20K - payable by BWLA

Just a bit more to add to Martins context. No wonder people are f**king angry.
brynevansIcon...27-02-2008 @ 13:12 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
My understanding is there have been two similar cases. One involves a WL who is contesting the outcome of a positive test which up to now has cost bwla over £25k
RusevIcon...27-02-2008 @ 18:51 
Can still nail the snatch
Member 168, 758 posts
SQ 205, BP 90, DL 202.5
497.5 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
im happy competing in the masters events but maybe i should get down to 77 and get back to doing a 280/290 total if possible would win the british in a year or two i would be 41yrs old how imbarrishing that would be for the bawla if a guy almost twice their age winning the main stream british senior, but just too much politics going on is it rearlly worth the hassel

Rusev (aka Tony Morgan sn 145 cj 170 @ 74k (1992)
Martin1956Icon...27-02-2008 @ 19:03 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7745 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I'm not suggesting BWLA is blameless, but I think 95% of the blame lies at the door of UK Sport. Apparently the officer who imposed the 'modernisation' has left her post, so her bosses must be aware of how badly things were cocked up, but have they done anything to redress things? Have they hell. There's a lack of vision and imagination in BWLA, but even if they were all visionaries there's no money to do anything, and that's 100% down to UK Sport giving the money to a group who know f**k all about lifting and who pay themselves fortunes while athletes get f**k all.

We really need someone with good political connections who can go straight in above UK Sport's head. Anyone got any?
brynevansIcon...28-02-2008 @ 00:19 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Post Edited: 28.02.2008 @ 10:23 AM by brynevans
I often report all this kind of stuff to my brother who is a sports reporter for one of the worlds largest new agencies. The head of sport says it's not news anyone is interested in.
When the 2012 games all goes tits up and the real cost of it all emerges it might be a story then.
What many of us on here can influence is lifting within our region. It's fair to say that this online community has played a significant part in bring more lifters into the NW contests. The last couple of contests have had almost 30 lifters in them which is pretty good if you compare it to other regions. Could we have 40 at the NW championships in December? It's possible if we all make the effort to lift and try and recruit some more lifters from your local gym.
Does it piss me off that £1000s gets wasted by uksport, bwla and wcwl of course it does. I think if we can all do our bit to try and make the NW a well represented region that some of our ideas might get taken on board for the benefit of everyone. At the moment we are working on a poster and information pack to be sent out to gyms clubs, schools etc throughout the NW to get knowledge of sports and events better publicised. It may not bring in huge numbers to the events but it will be more than what BWLA Head office currently does to promote our sports. That's virtually nothing
PorkPieIcon...29-02-2008 @ 17:20 
Do hugs, not drugs.
Member 136, 712 posts
SQ 380, BP 242.5, DL 330
952.5 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
jonnymills said:
Anyone got a link to last years championships?

MC could be the first Strongman convert, the British Kokylaev or Bergmanis!

Come to the Dungeon - it's fun (don't ask Andy about it though).

Its on ian hampsons website Jon - www.ynecawla.org.uk
SparrowIcon...29-02-2008 @ 18:47 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Thanks Porkpie.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWeightlifting
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions