Who's Online - 0 members and 287 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread

The Cycling Thread

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 102103104 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

SteveIcon...15-07-2016 @ 10:49 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
After struggling a bit a few days ago Porte now looks very good. Is joint team leaders like BMC have a good idea?
BodIcon...15-07-2016 @ 10:52 
Member 174, 1237 posts
Cuddles said:Been away at a funeral so missed the last two days racing live. Caught up late last night and this morning.

Wow. Just wow.

Froome is, by a long way, the better cyclist between him and Quintana, and proof, if there was ever any needed that being a 48kg whippet isn't always the best way. His understanding of racing conditions and opportunities is so much better than 99% of fans and commentators give him credit for.

The real loser yesterday was Porte. He looked a million dollars on Ventoux. Seems an all round top chap too.

This. Froome has shown a combination of tactical nous and aggression that if it was exhibited by almost any other rider would be lauded.
Attack in yellow jersey - check
Bridge to a break, wearing yellow and ride through and off with the best all-rounder in the world - check
Attack again on a day when all he had to do was respond - check.
CuddlesIcon...15-07-2016 @ 11:12 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:After struggling a bit a few days ago Porte now looks very good. Is joint team leaders like BMC have a good idea?

I'm not sure they really are, but assuming they are I actually think in a race with Team Sky in it it's workable. In about 95% of situations Porte doesn't need a team. Sky will do the work for him. You only really need a Team to chase down others, lend a bike/wheel, reposition you, or to destroy the field for you.

Sky will chase down breaks for you. They'll obliterate the field for you. The only thing they wont do is feed you or lend you a wheel, and a team can do that for 2 leaders anyway. BMC massively f**ked up the other day when he punctured, that's all.
CuddlesIcon...15-07-2016 @ 14:08 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
It does seem a bit unfair to me when the peloton are going flat out to catch a small breakaway like that that the time gap goes from the front of the peleton

Unfair it might be, but very very wise too.

Otherwise anyone who cares about time will be in a fight to get to the front, GC riders would have to contest sprints etc. It would be carnage, and in a potentially lethal way.
CuddlesIcon...15-07-2016 @ 14:13 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
It will be interesting to hear what the difference between the different sizes feels like.

It will be, but be aware that geometry is just as important with fit. You will likely need a different size frame firstly across different styles, and then across different brands. This is why for many, getting a proper bike fit is so useful.

Even just a 10mm different in stem length or a 2 degree difference in stem angle can make a HUGE difference to bike fit. Saddle height is so adjustable that 'frame size' is IMO no where near as important as most make it out to be. Hip and back angles, and reach play the biggest roles in comfort.
BoarIcon...15-07-2016 @ 16:55 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25569 posts
Administrator
when I swap bikes ....I tend just put up with the discomfort for a bit, then get used to it .....

now, I will have a nice new bike, I'm not a pro, but I am planning on doing a lot more cycling than I did for the 2013 IMUK

is it worth getting a bikefit ? seems to be about 40 quid

plus - I will still be using the cannon for work so will that f**k me up ?

fell over today at some traffic lights into a puddle, really hurt my elbow (landed on it and was a wisker away from a kerb, think that may have broke it if id hit it direct) .......then got a flatty and had to walk a few km's home......

planning a trip up winter hill next Friday - its 457m to the top , probably the highest one within cycling distance for me
SteveIcon...15-07-2016 @ 17:32 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
Unfair it might be, but very very wise too.
Otherwise anyone who cares about time will be in a fight to get to the front, GC riders would have to contest sprints etc. It would be carnage, and in a potentially lethal way.

Yes I understand the reasoning, just on a stage where everyone is already going flat out just to keep up there wouldn't be the same problems. Obviously it would be impossible to differentiate and decide when they should all get the same time or get different times
CuddlesIcon...15-07-2016 @ 17:57 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Boar said:when I swap bikes ....I tend just put up with the discomfort for a bit, then get used to it .....

is it worth getting a bikefit ? seems to be about 40 quid

A good bike fit is worth getting IMO if you are going to be racking up the miles. £40 will only buy you a very basic one, and to be honest a good shop will do the same job when you buy a bike.

Mine was £150 and lasted 2.5 hours. They go through everything. I got custom footbeds moulded on my second fit.

I would be surprised if you're bike was that badly fitted given the miles you've been doing and you not complaining of pain.
SteveIcon...18-07-2016 @ 15:18 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Ironman UK 2017 entered!
little_aIcon...18-07-2016 @ 15:53 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Boar said:when I swap bikes ....I tend just put up with the discomfort for a bit, then get used to it .....

I get this when I do more road biking than hybrid. I think with me the problem is with an over tight back. Years of OL mean that my back doesn't round at all. I look at proper cycle people and their backs are curved like s**tting dogs. You got to be careful what you wish for Unhappy

Good luck for the Bolton IM guys. Mean neck of the woods.
BoarIcon...18-07-2016 @ 18:02 
Member 5, 25569 posts
Administrator
have you found your specific bike yet andy and what you looking for ?

Steve said:Ironman UK 2017 entered!

Its just a matter of time for me , and once I have something planted in my head, may as well set it free !!
SteveIcon...18-07-2016 @ 19:52 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Boar said:have you found your specific bike yet andy and what you looking for ?
Its just a matter of time for me , and once I have something planted in my head, may as well set it free !!

Unfortunately free isn't a word you hear around Ironman.
BoarIcon...18-07-2016 @ 19:58 
Member 5, 25569 posts
Administrator
indeed !!

for me , its cheaper than doing the outlaw purely as I can do it without spending time in hotels etc .... my wife struggles looking after all 3 kids when I'm out 'enjoying' myself ...... the cycle loop comes withn 400m of my house !! and if we can 'offload' Daniel then she will be able to come to Bolton to cheer me home.

all yours for just £400 +8% mystery expense !!
little_aIcon...18-07-2016 @ 20:54 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Boar said:have you found your specific bike yet andy and what you looking for ?

Not specific, but starting to whittle it down. Got a test ride on a Specialized tomorrow, so we'll see.
SteveIcon...18-07-2016 @ 21:04 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Boar said:indeed !!

for me , its cheaper than doing the outlaw purely as I can do it without spending time in hotels etc .... my wife struggles looking after all 3 kids when I'm out 'enjoying' myself ...... the cycle loop comes withn 400m of my house !! and if we can 'offload' Daniel then she will be able to come to Bolton to cheer me home.

all yours for just £400 +8% mystery expense !!

That extra 8% does irritate me.

Did you see Frodeno's time at Roth at the weekend! 7:35! Just crazy

12345678910 ... 102103104 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions