Who's Online - 0 members and 139 guests

Strict military press

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

bigdave30Icon...15-03-2012 @ 10:14 
if I had a hat on I would take it off
Member 3343, 1045 posts
SQ 330, BP 170, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 141.8kgs Eq
can seated military b classed as scrict press or does it hav 2b standing boys??
adamkeepIcon...15-03-2012 @ 10:28 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
bigdave30 said:can seated military b classed as scrict press or does it hav 2b standing boys??

No leg drive = strict. So yes it could be.
hifiloverIcon...15-03-2012 @ 11:45 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
^^^

As above (well I'd hop so)

I do clean & seated presses and they work very well (you clean the bar and then sit back on a bench with no back and rep away; stand up (front squat more or less) and put the bar back to the floor etc...)

It's a solid shoulder and core trainer as with no back on the bench to lean against; you have to force yourself to stay upright
hixxy1985Icon...15-03-2012 @ 11:48 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9594 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
i think some people are naturally gifted in some areas at lifting than others.

Myself, I just flat bench now. N my overhead has become stronger. Whether there be a secret to this or it be im lucky its hard to say. I never do any tricep assistance neither lol

If somethings not broken though dont fix it. If like first post states theres no improvements then try new things.

What works for one guy very rarely works same for another.
ursusIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:04 
Man up and have a fuckin coffee
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:I know the standard meathead strongman idea on getting a better press is to just press. We see this on both sides of the pond (American strongmen say the exact same things you guys do here). Sometimes just pressing isn't the key though. There are obvious weak points in a lift for someone and they need to be worked, but not at the detriment to the other portions of the lift. For example, coming off the shoulders might be your weak point, but just pressing something you can get off of your shoulders is going to leavy your stronger triceps wanting more.

Try adding in some bodybuilding assistance to your training. Start with lower volume obviously and work up. I suggested this to Terry Hollands and his press has steadily climbed since then. Something as simple as shoulder raises to help add a little muscle to the shoulder may be key in helping you add weight to your press. Kaz said one of his favorite assistance lifts for his press was heavy front delt raises (said he did 150lb dumbbells!)and he had a monsterous press.

Anyhow, put a little more thought into your training when you get stuck is what i am getting at. Over simplifying things, as lifters often do, is often not the answer. Good luck with your training!

As your post follows mine i will asume your refering to my statement and i will explain what i meant . I didnt say "just press" i said "smash your shoulders"
I did nt feel i needed to go into detail as most of the points have already been said,but maybe i should explain a bit more.
If you follow my log you will know on overhead day i use everything bar,dumbell,axle,log etc all of which use slightly different muscles than each other enabling you to hit all three heads of the deltoid.
Pause everything !!!!!!!!dumbell presses should be pased on the shoulder, halt the weight to a dead stop ,then drive up.
Axle strict press till you cant do any more ,then begin pushpress.
Log strict press to max ,then use legs ,same with circus dumbell, thats what builds power.
The strongest guys overhead on this sight are all tremendous strict pressers and all train it relentlessly.
I also throw in front raises rear lat raises and even reverse pec dec to build the whole shoulder for maximum size and strength.
Overhead should be an assault on the shoulders and as soon as they are fully recovered then go again theres no rule that means you have to wait exactly seven days till you hit them again.
Hold the weight at the top for a second or two builds the stabalising muscles .

So when i say smash the shoulders i mean from every angle with every bit of equiptment for maximum weight for low reps.
ursusIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:07 
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said: I never do any tricep assistance neither lol

haha thats interesting i didnt realise that ......................funnily enough i dont do any either !!!
adamkeepIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:09 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
ursus said:
As your post follows mine i will asume your refering to my statement and i will explain what i meant . I didnt say "just press" i said "smash your shoulders"
I did nt feel i needed to go into detail as most of the points have already been said,but maybe i should explain a bit more.
If you follow my log you will know on overhead day i use everything bar,dumbell,axle,log etc all of which use slightly different muscles than each other enabling you to hit all three heads of the deltoid.
Pause everything !!!!!!!!dumbell presses should be pased on the shoulder, halt the weight to a dead stop ,then drive up.
Axle strict press till you cant do any more ,then begin pushpress.
Log strict press to max ,then use legs ,same with circus dumbell, thats what builds power.
The strongest guys overhead on this sight are all tremendous strict pressers and all train it relentlessly.
I also throw in front raises rear lat raises and even reverse pec dec to build the whole shoulder for maximum size and strength.
Overhead should be an assault on the shoulders and as soon as they are fully recovered then go again theres no rule that means you have to wait exactly seven days till you hit them again.
Hold the weight at the top for a second or two builds the stabalising muscles .
So when i say smash the shoulders i mean from every angle with every bit of equiptment for maximum weight for low reps.

Sorry dude I actually wasn't referring to your post. I actually thought your point of smashing shoulders was exactly what I was trying to say! hahaha!! Smash them by giving them more/different work.
brownbearIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:11 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
ursus said:
haha thats interesting i didnt realise that ......................funnily enough i dont do any either !!!

i'm a s**t presser so what i say might have no relevance, but since i stopped doing any tricep work, ive added 30kg to push press and nearly 20 to strict. All tricep assistance did was give me elbow pain
hifiloverIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:13 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
brownbear said:
i'm a s**t presser so what i say might have no relevance, but since i stopped doing any tricep work, ive added 30kg to push press and nearly 20 to strict. All tricep assistance did was give me elbow pain

Can understand that...

All I do for triceps is narrow grip bench and tricep pushdowns...

Found that heavy flat bench, dumbbell presses and overhead stuff works my tri's more than enough Happy
adamkeepIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:14 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
brownbear said:

I am the same. I can do assistance for any lift, but a tricep lift. Curls, shoulder raises, anything....but when it comes to extensions I just hurt. I wonder why that is?
ursusIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:14 
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:
Sorry dude I actually wasn't referring to your post. I actually thought your point of smashing shoulders was exactly what I was trying to say! hahaha!! Smash them by giving them more/different work.

no worries Adam my fault.....i have a habit of getting the wrong end of the stick !
brownbearIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:20 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:
I am the same. I can do assistance for any lift, but a tricep lift. Curls, shoulder raises, anything....but when it comes to extensions I just hurt. I wonder why that is?

cause we're both called adam and we're both awesome?
brownbearIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:21 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
ursus said:
no worries Adam my fault.....i have a habit of getting saliva all over dave's dick!

Eek Eek Eek
ursusIcon...15-03-2012 @ 12:23 
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
brownbear said:
Eek Eek Eek

im sure your a f**king doctor !!!Tongue
deleted2_20210523Icon...15-03-2012 @ 12:25 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215