technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 13.11.2012 @ 11:17 AM by JC
Found this to be a really interesting article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/20304500

I found this para unfortunate, if not suprising:

"According to the Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation, one of the major reasons why so many girls and young women drop out of sport is that they don't like the way it makes them look.

In their report, Changing the Game for Girls, nearly half the secondary school girls they questioned said they thought that getting sweaty was not feminine."
martinbIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:26 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
I read this article, didn't really who what to think or make of it

a few observations though

a couple of days before whoever it was made a comment about Enis needing to lose a few pounds I saw her and instantly thought she wasn't as lean as normal, probably due to a different training phase or something, she was f**king ripped come game time though

The fact is that in a lot of sports, you need to be lean or light. Look at the Brownlee brothers, emaciated and IMO horrendous to look at, but you know what, rather good at what they do, and one of the reasons for this is their size. Lighter weight boxers can spend their whole careers starving themselves to maintain a bodyweight they had when they were 14 years old. These are parts of the sport. Healthy, nope, but necessary. The fact that some woman develop an eating disorder when involved with these sports should not be surprising as 1 men and woman are put together slightly differently and 2 men develop eating disorders or starve themselves all the time, but nobody gives a s**t
FazcIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:28 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Good read JC. From Zoe Smith in that article:

"It's two fingers up to them, basically. What are you doing with your life? I've just competed at the Olympics!'"

Haha, I like that!
JCIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:31 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Fazc said:Good read JC. From Zoe Smith in that article:

"It's two fingers up to them, basically. What are you doing with your life? I've just competed at the Olympics!'"

Haha, I like that!

The Zoe Smith bit made me smile also

But, she looks like a bloke (so say Twitter folk??)!!? Come one! Just 'cause she has some form of muscle mass?
FazcIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:35 
Member 38, 6253 posts
JC said:
But, she looks like a bloke (so say Twitter folk??)!!? Come one! Just 'cause she has some form of muscle mass?

It was like the comments about that girl with the big baps who went on to do some female bodybuilding, forget her name now. A lot of the comments were something like "wouldnt do her now" and stuff like that. Completely ignoring the obvious hard work she'd put in.

I work in an all girl's school and a big challenge with some of these girls is in changing their perception of what they can and can't do, or what they're supposed to do. It's a shame.
MarkIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:42 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
Fazc said:
I work in an all girl's school and a big challenge with some of these girls is in changing their perception of what they can and can't do, or what they're supposed to do. It's a shame.

Or accepting that your body will change with your goals. Set your goals and try to achieve them and your body will change along the way to accommodate you.

Girls seem scared of sweat and a bit of hard work. Shame really, a lot of them aspire to have bodies that only girls want rather than aspiring to have a body that men like!
RobboIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:44 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Girls who train and get sweaty look ace.
JCIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:46 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Robbo said:Men who train and get sweaty look ace.

Eek Eek
SteveIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:47 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
martinb said:I read this article, didn't really who what to think or make of it

a few observations though

a couple of days before whoever it was made a comment about Enis needing to lose a few pounds I saw her and instantly thought she wasn't as lean as normal, probably due to a different training phase or something, she was f**king ripped come game time though

The fact is that in a lot of sports, you need to be lean or light. Look at the Brownlee brothers, emaciated and IMO horrendous to look at, but you know what, rather good at what they do, and one of the reasons for this is their size. Lighter weight boxers can spend their whole careers starving themselves to maintain a bodyweight they had when they were 14 years old. These are parts of the sport. Healthy, nope, but necessary. The fact that some woman develop an eating disorder when involved with these sports should not be surprising as 1 men and woman are put together slightly differently and 2 men develop eating disorders or starve themselves all the time, but nobody gives a s**t

There do seem to be different standards and attitude between men and women. Brad Wiggins at 6 foot 3 and weighing only 82.5kg wass told he is too heavy. Does he complain about his coaches etc - no he gets on with it and looses the weight to try to maximise his performance.
JCIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:48 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Steve said:
There do seem to be different standards and attitude between men and women. Brad Wiggins at 6 foot 3 and weighing only 82.5kg wass told he is too heavy. Does he complain about his coaches etc - no he gets on with it and looses the weight to try to maximise his performance.

she was a 16 y/o girl.....I think there is a slight difference, dont you?
FazcIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:50 
Member 38, 6253 posts
Mark said:
Girls seem scared of sweat and a bit of hard work. Shame really, a lot of them aspire to have bodies that only girls want rather than aspiring to have a body that men like!

No, I don't think it's true that girl's are scared of sweat and hard work, at least it's no more true of some women as it is of some men. In fact we're not that much different to women in that respect, part of the problem is what society expects and that effects men as much as women.

An easy way to see this is from looking at popular culture magazines or films, even action film stars are typically less muscular now in the movies than they were in the 80's for example. There is far more emphasis now on slender male physiques as there is with slender female physiques. It's nothing to do with hard work and sweat and mostly everything to do with societal expectations.
slimsimIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:50 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
JC said:

That's the problem.......the average man doesn't really have any muscle mass so they see a female with some and immediately feel insecure in their "masculine" role.

Personally, most females I see that have a bit of muscle look great and far better than those without any muscle tone at all.

I don't really know what the article is trying to get at though - is it trying to point out that female athletes should be regarded as athletes above everything else, rather than objects of desire? As one of the comments points out, it's exactly the same for men. How many woman have drooled over Beckham for years or scorned Rooney for his Shrek like looks? Confused
hermanIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:50 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
Post Edited: 13.11.2012 @ 11:50 AM by herman
Muscle mass makes everyone look better.

It turns fat into a positive thing also. If a woman has some muscle mass she can have pretty much as much fat as she wants on top and will still look good. Curvy-athletic, like a classic goddess.

Skinny fat looks terrrible on everyone (especially blokes), and is what most girls end up with when trying to be skinny unless they are blessed with some excellent figure (most black girls are). No muscle tone, noodly yet flabby arms, skinny legs but fat wobbly arse.

(It would be better if we werent all image obsessed, and us blokes didn't value things on oggle factor. But we are and we do.)

Doing a little bit of exercise makes everyone look better, just walking or riding a bike improves muscle tone in the legs dramatically.

What I am always surprised with is how nearly all women these days feel they need to adorn lycra, sports bras and/or short shorts in public just to do a bit of jogging. It seems they bring on the "image" thing themselves to some extent.
martinbIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:50 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
JC said:
Steve said:

she was a 16 y/o girl.....I think there is a slight difference, dont you?

it is different, however there will be scores of 16 year old boys in boxing clubs being told the same thing today, nobody makes a big deal about them
JCIcon...13-11-2012 @ 11:53 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
martinb said:
it is different, however there will be scores of 16 year old boys in boxing clubs being told the same thing today, nobody makes a big deal about them

well, if you are "overweight" for your weight class in boxing, thats a given, surely?

again, there is a difference to a 16 y/o, 60kg girl being told to lose weight (when she has no weight to make, which of course, boxers do)

the psychology of 16 y/o boys & girls differ hugely...this is common knowledge

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions