Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsKEEP on keepin' on!

KEEP on keepin' on!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Cuddles said:Ever thought about getting up to 109-110kg and loosing a bit of water weight in the run up to a comp?

I ask because I'm a fairly tall lifter myself and dont really think going to the opens is realistic. But to be a good 105 think I'll need to be fairly heavy. Actually scrap that, to be an average 105 I'm going to need to be pretty heavy!

I tried the 110 thing before and I just didn't like it. I feel much better conditioned and healthy at the lower weight. In the 105kg class it isn't always about how strong you are, but rather how conditioned you are, how good technically you are, and then how strong you are. Having the weight cap kinda hurts the taller guys, but honestly they seem to do the best because they are usually faster on the moving events, very well conditioned, and have put the time in to be technically sound due to not being able to put on the strength.
JamesH said:Really interesting to see how your train Adam.

Can I ask, does your training stay like this all year round, or do you change things around. For example, you talked about pushing your deadlift up to 800. Will you keep on training like now? Also, do you follow any specific plan/progression in the weights you use?

Sorry to ask a lot of questions, but I'm intrigued.

My training has been the same or pretty close for the last 2 years. The only real changes have been adding or removing cardio and then every couple of months I switch from upper heavy/lower explosive and lower heavy/upper explosive days to just upper and lower days.

As for the 800 dead, I am going to add some more hamstring exercises really. I am fast off the floor and my lockout is pretty strong usually, but I lose lifts the few cm right around the knee. I think this is a hamstring problem so I am going to address that first and see how things turn out. If I get considerably stronger hams but the lift doesn't go up much I will work on the lockout a bit more since that might be an issue for me too.

Do I follow and specific weights? No I don't. I go by feel most days. I have seen too many time by my self and others that they plan out 8, 12, or 16 week programs, but miss a lift one week and it tosses off the rest of the program. Or they just push them selves too hard and it is flat out discouraging really. So like i said, I go by feel. If I feel good I will work in the single and double rep range, go heavy, and do lots of sets. If I feel like poop I will go for 3's, use light weight, and do a handfull of sets. It changes from workout to workout of course, but I think this is the best way to train if you are a competitive strongman since you are not trying to hit any specific weights and really just trying to get stronger and better "all around".

I am not worried about the questions dude, keep them coming if you want. I am happy to spread any knowledge I may have.
MrSmall
Good reads here Adam.

A hitch is a second knee bend in the deadlift usually combined with leaning back.

No hitch on first one, multiple hitches on the second!
Had a good one today, very fast in and out, but put forth a ton of effort.

Dumbbell clean and presses with fatgripz handle (trying to simulate the monsterbell Terry has as best I can). Not sure how many reps I did, but I worked up to 105lbs for a few sets trying to get the tech down.

Pause squats against bands
275lbs for 8 sets of 2 with 30 sec rest.

Finished with the fatgripz pullups, some assistance work, and ran 2 miles.
MrSmall
How long do you run your 1/2 miles in mate?
MrSmall said:How long do you run your 1/2 miles in mate?

I'm not actually sure. I do the 1.5 mile in 11 minutes when not training for it. I figure I'll be in the low 10's this time since I have actually ran before I test.
adamkeep said: and ran 2 miles.

Running is scientifically proven to shorten your life span! Roll-Eyes Grin

Running with s**t on back/in hyands = LOTS OF FUN

Just running on a road = load of old bo***cks
MrSmall
JC said:

Have you ever had to run with s**t on your back or holding something for the duration of the run James? I somehow can't picture it Grin
JC said:

Fully agree dude! I have to do it for work though. I actually enjoy the run though, I just feel good when I finish. Not sure about the runners high people talk about, but I like the way my lungs burn and everything just feels beat when I'm done.
MrSmall said:
Have you ever had to run with s**t on your back or holding something for the duration of the run James? I somehow can't picture it Grin

f**k you Smalls, my lazy ass is lucky enough to avoid national service

Good to hear Adam, though you were taking some perverse pleasure out of the running s**t!
JC said:
f**k you Smalls, my lazy ass is lucky enough to avoid national service
Good to hear Adam, though you were taking some perverse pleasure out of the running s**t!

Haha! I enjoy cardio man! I wrestled internationally and was a national champion martial artist (2nd at worlds) before I ever started lifting so I think the cardio just reminds me of the old days I guess.
adamkeep said:
Haha! I enjoy cardio man! I wrestled internationally and was a national champion martial artist (2nd at worlds) before I ever started lifting so I think the cardio just reminds me of the old days I guess.

We dont tend to wrestle in the UK in our schools/college/universities, but from what I have seen in films LOL, its a bit homo-erotic Roll-Eyes Eek Wink
adamkeep said:
Haha! I enjoy cardio man! I wrestled internationally and was a national champion martial artist (2nd at worlds)
GULP

Eek remind me not to take the piss out of you againWink Happy
MrSmall
There's no reason not to be well conditioned, good technically and beastly strong.

Anything less is unacceptable in my book Grin
JC said:
We dont tend to wrestle in the UK in our schools/college/universities, but from what I have seen in films LOL, its a bit homo-erotic Roll-Eyes Eek Wink

Most of Europe does it at the club level. The Brits aren't bad actually. As for homo-erotic, yeah maybe if you're into that sort of stuff. It always seemed a little to aggressive to get your feel on though. Haha!

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsKEEP on keepin' on!
Return to top View Desktop Site