You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitIT Band Syndrome

IT Band Syndrome

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

LuuuuuukeyIconIT Band Syndrome14-05-2013 @ 07:34 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
I've had problems on and off with my knee for coming up to 2 years. Initially it was diagnosed as minor damage to my ACL, but after it didn't improve I got a second and third opinion who both said it was nothing to do with ligaments and was IT Band Syndrome.

I've since been stretching and foam rolling the hell out of it on a regular basis which eases the symptoms, but doesn't really offer a long term solution because no amount of stretching is ever going to make that much difference to something as tough as the IT Band.

Found a study online that suggested strengthening the glute muscles with simple exercises involving resistance bands. I've tried numerous things which haven't really helped, so this is the next thing I'm going to try.

Anybody got any other tips or pointers that might help relieve the pain and mean I can squat again?!
MarkIcon...14-05-2013 @ 11:37 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
Other than rolling the f**k out of everything from your waist downwards, banded squats/lunges and xband walks, TKE's. I can't really offer anything to help.

Would be interested to know what others think too.

I'm about to start attacking my flat feet, as that could be causing my knees some issues too.
MrSmallIcon...14-05-2013 @ 11:46 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
What exactly are your symptoms? I don't know what IT band syndrome entails.

Some things that get rid of 3 different types of knee pain I have had in the past:
Get arch supports for my feet (they collapse in, so excess pressure on knee on the inside). This was the biggest
Foam roll the VMO
Foam roll the quad right above the kneecap
Foam roll the IT band wherever it is most painful

And technically, think of squatting on the outside of the middle of your foot, it might help keep things a little in line which may or may not help.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...14-05-2013 @ 11:52 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
MrSmall said:What exactly are your symptoms? I don't know what IT band syndrome entails.

A s**t load of pain in the outside of my knee, a horrible tight feeling all the way up the outside of the thigh and occasionally when its at its worst, a painful tightness in my hip as well.
NicIcon...14-05-2013 @ 13:23 
Member 905, 239 posts
If I ever get a little localised problem that foam rolling won't sort out, I just whack on the TENS machine for 10 min and then all is good. Maybe purely anecdotal but seemed to work in the half dozen times I used it in the past 2 years.
sprange67Icon...14-05-2013 @ 13:24 
Member 1858, 170 posts
SQ 285, BP 157.5, DL 302.5
745.0 kgs @ 98.9kgs UnEq
Not that this is gona be of any help but I did my IT band squatting and it hurts like hell, especially when driving, that was the worst.

I was told apart from pain that it would not really affect my squat (not sure if that is right mind you), so I just carried on, but not quite so heavy and not as often as I used too. As for healing, I reckon for me it took the best part of a year, but then I did no foam rolling or supporting excises. Oh I did however use a diclofenac based gel
LuuuuuukeyIcon...14-05-2013 @ 13:38 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Nic said:If I ever get a little localised problem that foam rolling won't sort out, I just whack on the TENS machine for 10 min and then all is good. Maybe purely anecdotal but seemed to work in the half dozen times I used it in the past 2 years.

Just read up on a TENS machine. Works in much the same way as ultrasound. Have I got that right?

Physio has blasted muy problem area with ultrasound each time I've been, feels like it helps a tiny bit, but doesn't really solve the problem.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...14-05-2013 @ 13:40 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
sprange67 said:Not that this is gona be of any help but I did my IT band squatting and it hurts like hell, especially when driving, that was the worst.

I was told apart from pain that it would not really affect my squat (not sure if that is right mind you), so I just carried on, but not quite so heavy and not as often as I used too. As for healing, I reckon for me it took the best part of a year, but then I did no foam rolling or supporting excises. Oh I did however use a diclofenac based gel

Reduces the range of motion I can get from my knee when it is painful. Also makes keeping form half decent very difficult so it really kills my squatting when it is bad.
martinIcon...14-05-2013 @ 18:02 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
There have been a couple of posts on this and my response as always -

Strengthen before loosening.

In this case you are waiting for a miracle if you think you can 'stretch' the IT band itself.

Increasing hip stability and VMO function should sort it out.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...15-05-2013 @ 12:16 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
martin said:There have been a couple of posts on this and my response as always -

Strengthen before loosening.

In this case you are waiting for a miracle if you think you can 'stretch' the IT band itself.

Increasing hip stability and VMO function should sort it out.

I was told that's its near impossible to stretch the IT band because of how tough it is, so I stretch the muscles around the area which seems to help.

I've started doing a couple of band exercises to hopefully strengthen hip/glute area. Good idea?
martinIcon...15-05-2013 @ 22:11 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Luuuuuukey said:
I was told that's its near impossible to stretch the IT band because of how tough it is, so I stretch the muscles around the area which seems to help.
I've started doing a couple of band exercises to hopefully strengthen hip/glute area. Good idea?

Yeah there are loads of exercises that help. Things like TKE's for VMO function and single leg squats for hip work. Also don't neglect things like oblique function and core stabilisation as these often contribute more so.

Foam roll the IT by all means and loosen the tight areas.

I've just started doing some flossing work on my quads both around the knee and at the hip and it seems to be helping so far.
jollyIcon...16-05-2013 @ 13:44 
Member 4569, 1 posts
Hi,

I fixed mine by doing "foam rolling" on a 2" thick dumbbell. with no weights on it obviously Happy hurts like hell the first few times but is much more effective than rolling on a piece of foam.

Cheers

Jolly
CuddlesIcon...16-05-2013 @ 14:00 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
martin said:
Yeah there are loads of exercises that help. Things like TKE's for VMO function and single leg squats for hip work. Also don't neglect things like oblique function and core stabilisation as these often contribute more so.
Foam roll the IT by all means and loosen the tight areas.
I've just started doing some flossing work on my quads both around the knee and at the hip and it seems to be helping so far.

This.
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitIT Band Syndrome
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions