REGISTER
 

Get lean, increase PB's and try not to seriously injure myself

1234567891011121314151617181920212223

PikefingersIcon...18-04-2015 @ 14:54 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Mon Bodyweight 81.6

Squat (60) 9 ok (80) 7 ok (100) 2 ok (117.5) 5 hard but v. good

All squats beltless and done to depth

Bench (60) 8 good (70) 5 good (82.5) 11!!!!!!! Bodyweight+ for reps PB :-) (90) 4 tired

Dumbbell Press (22) 5 hard, 5 hard, 5 hard

Dips couldn't work out how to remove the cheating attachment so this was -45KG

12

Vibro-plate thingy on back 30secsx2
PikefingersIcon...18-04-2015 @ 14:59 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Thurs

Bodyweight 82.0

Hamstring curls (45) 11, 11, 9 ok

Deads (60) 12 ok (80) 8 ok (100) 6 heavy but good

Pullups (+14kg dumbbell) 5, 5, 5 hard

Straight bar curls (37.5) 6, 6, 6, 5 hard

Vibro-plate on back 30 secs x2

I can deadlift again :-) Will try (carefully) adding 10kg per week on top set. Probably add belt when I get to 120. Can still feel some of the old injury/discomfort, but it's fading.

I'll be 35 at the end of this month. Not old in strength training by any means, but I'm going to make sure this diet (which has been going on for a year) gets me lean enough so that I can concentrate on strength training without having to hold back all the time due to being in calorie deficit.
PikefingersIcon...18-04-2015 @ 23:15 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Saturday

Bodyweight 81KG

315 press-ups (Spent half the day working, so just got up to do some press-ups every now and again)

35, 35, 30, 35, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30

Think I'm still over 20% body fat which is annoying.
PikefingersIcon...23-04-2015 @ 22:22 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Monday

Bodyweight (81.3)

Squats (60) 10 v. tired (80) 5 v. tired (100) 2 better (120) 2 v. heavy & back appeared to spasm during this so stopped. not good.

Bench (60) 8 v. tired (80) 5 v.heavy, 5 v. tired - decided to rest bench after this

dumbbell press (22) 6, 6, 6 short rests

vibration-plate 30 secsx2 on back

This was a terrible session compared to last week. Don't know where this came from.
PikefingersIcon...23-04-2015 @ 22:26 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Thurs

Bodyweight (78.9) WTF!?

Hamstring curls (45) 11, 11, 10 easy - getting stronger at these

Deadlifts (60) 12 library style - OK (90) 7 almost "library" style - OK (110) 5 hard - these actually felt heavy

Pullups (+15KG dumbbell) 5 good, 5 hard, 4 hard

E-Z Curls (42.5) 6 OK, 5 hard, 5 good

vibro-plate 1x45 secs on back.

V. pleased with pull-up and curling strength. Deadlift weights are unspectacular to say the least, but they don't seem to be making my back any worse yet.
MuscleDemonIcon...30-04-2015 @ 20:27 
Avatar
We all live as we chose.
Member 5051, 866 posts
SQ 157.5, BP 95, DL 220
472.5 kgs @ 61.1kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 30.04.2015 @ 20:27 PM by MuscleDemon
Well done on all the noticeable strength improvements. What are 'library' deadlifts? Confused

Is it ok if you write the calendar date at the top of your posts, would find it easier to follow your frequency and progression.

Want to see 120kg x5 beltless squats soon, keep going.

Have you been mobility stretching following the video guides I sent you?
PikefingersIcon...30-04-2015 @ 23:07 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
MuscleDemon said:Well done on all the noticeable strength improvements. What are 'library' deadlifts? Confused

Is it ok if you write the calendar date at the top of your posts, would find it easier to follow your frequency and progression.

Want to see 120kg x5 beltless squats soon, keep going.

Have you been mobility stretching following the video guides I sent you?


Dzekuie!

Strength gains are pretty tough when losing weight and with the ongoing injuries, it's even tougher. I will persist though. Last week or so has been a bit poor in terms of training due to extreme working hours, lack of sleep and s**tty diet. -Think I have put on about 3kg of fat in the last week. Checked my bodyfat on a fancy machine at the gym and it said 21% Beefcaaaaaaaake!!!

Apparently I also only have 64KG of lean muscle mass, which means I am smaller than I am at the end of a de-bulk.
PikefingersIcon...30-04-2015 @ 23:14 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Thurs 30th April.

Hamstring curls (45) 12, 12 easy - still mainly being done as a warm-up for the legs, so leg muscles are ready for deadlifting to avoid over-using back in deadlifts - seems to be working and am also getting stronger in the hammies.

Deadlifts (60) 12 OK but unfit (80) lazy f*cker (100) 5 OK (120) 5 form still ok and no back pain.

All deadlifts were done double overhand and beltless. Pleasantly surprised that my gri strength was up to this. I think the 15kg weighted pullups are helping to keep it up despite not having deadlifted for a while.

Pullups (+15kg dumbbell) - was dreading these, as I was morfe than 3kg heavier than last week

5 hard, 5 v hard, 4 v hard - same reps as last week, but all felt bad.

E-Z Curls (42.5) 6 hard, 6 v. hard & too much cheating, 5 v. hard

Vibro plate for back 1x45 secs.

No back pain from deadlifts. More strengt there too, which is encouraging, but I did get some discomfort in my lower back. I think any deadlifting from now on will have to be done with a perfectly flat back, as it was today. That will be tough, as I don't think I've ever done more than about 180 with perfect form.
PikefingersIcon...30-04-2015 @ 23:20 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
What are 'library' deadlifts? Confused

Have you been mobility stretching following the video guides I sent you?


Library deadlifts is a term that i took from the gentleman sometimes referred to as Fatpete. It basically means lowering the bar so slowly and carefully that when it touches the floor, it doesn't even make a noise that would be loud enough to cause offence in a library. -That's my interpretation anyway.

These are obviously good as they make the exercise much harder on the downward motion due to having to exert so much more force to really control the weight, rather than just dropping it. These are also good for me, as I have some strange weakness that affects me on the way down in the last 8 inches or so before reaching the floor - that could also be related to my mobility issues though.

I have been doing the occasional bit of mobility work, but mostly only on the day of or the day before training. I am working every moment that I am not awake, eating or on a train at the moment from mon-fri (have just finished for the day) and also quite a bit at weekends. This doesn't help with finding time for rehab unfortunately.
PikefingersIcon...05-05-2015 @ 23:19 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
5th May

After 4 days in Cornwall.

Bodyweight 85.7KG

Squats (60) 8 ok (80) 8 ok (100) 5 hard (107.5) 5 hard (100) 5 hard

Bench (60) 10 ok (70) 5 easy (85) 5 ok (70) 5 ok (70) 5 easy - very lazy bench workout

Seated dumbbell press (22) 7 ok, 6 ok

Assisted dips (just because I still can't work out how to make them un-assisted) 7

vibro-plate for back x45 secs

It's crazy how quickly I can fatten up after a few days off the diet. I ealt like a monk for a year, then have 2 or 3 cheat meals - wel actually it was 3 or 4 days of cheat meals - then I'm 4kg heavier.

Think I just need to persevere with the diet. Even if I end up being 70KG but very lean, it will at least be a starting point to rebuild from.
PikefingersIcon...12-05-2015 @ 22:28 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Fri 8th May - training on Friday evening, 20:45

Bodyweight 83.5

Deadlifts (60) 13 ok (80) 8 ok (100) 6 ok (120) 7 v. hard but good

Pullups (+15kg dumbbell) 4 not good!. 3 hard, 3 hard, 3 v. hard, 2 easy

E-Z Curls (42.5) 6 good, 6 hard, 6 hard but good

Lat pulldowns (36kg) 15 easy, 10 hard

vibro-plate x 3 sessions on back
PikefingersIcon...12-05-2015 @ 22:30 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Sat 9th May

Was planning to head to the gym for lots of light benching, but realised I had flu and was soon barely able to move. Bugger.
PikefingersIcon...12-05-2015 @ 22:34 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Tues 12th May - hardly slept last night. Sweating out the end of the flu.

Bodyweight 83.3

squats (60) 8 ok (80) 7 ok (100) 2 ok (120) 1 felt like a max!! - psyched up and went again... x1 - felt like a max again
(90) 3 not good, 3 not good, 3 not good

Bench (60) 10 ok-ish (70) 5 v. heavy..., 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

This is the lightest (weakest) bench session I have ever done since starting to lift weights semi-seriously

Standing dumbbell press (24) 3 s**tty (22) 3 s**tty (20) 7 better

Dips 8

vibro plate 1 x45 secs on back.

I hope I can put this down to the flu and lack of sleep.
PikefingersIcon...24-05-2015 @ 20:45 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
thurs 14th may

bodyweight 82.8

deads (60) 10 tired, heavy (80) 2, 5 didn't feel good (100) 5 better (120) 4 ok (130) 3 v. heavy but ok

pullups 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 2

hammer curls (16) 6 (14) 6 (12) 8

vibro-plate on back
PikefingersIcon...24-05-2015 @ 20:48 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
mon 18th may

bodyweight??

squats (60) 8 tured (80) 2, 3, 5 decided to rest squat

bench (60) 8 heavy... (65) 5 ok (80) 5 heavy, 6 heavy (65) 10, 10

military press (45) 5, 5, 5, 5

dips 7 poor

vibro-plate

done some weak weak workouts lately

1234567891011121314151617181920212223

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions