REGISTER
 

Get lean, increase PB's and try not to seriously injure myself

1234567891011121314151617181920212223

PikefingersIcon...04-04-2016 @ 22:55 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.04.2016 @ 22:57 PM by Pikefingers
Last squat set from today's session.

Beltless 125x7. Probably could have done one more rep, but form was cracking up already.



Last bench set from today's workout. 90x5 - last set of 5x5. Last rep done with a short pause.

PikefingersIcon...11-04-2016 @ 20:10 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Updates:

Left my old on last Tues. Had wed-fri as holiday. Got the flu or something similar on fri around lunchtime. Had first day of new job today. Still have the flu/bug. Bugger.

Skipped dips on Sat - no biggie, optimistically saying that I am postponing today's planned squat/bench session to tomorrow, although given how horrible i made last week's squats look, that could be a challenge.
PikefingersIcon...18-04-2016 @ 21:04 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Didn't manage to do last week's Monday session until Wednesday due to illness and it didn't go too well.

Bodyweight (last Wednesday) 85.1 down almost 2kg due to flu-type bug

Squats (60) 2, 2, 3 all high, 2 high

Realised I am basically (mechanically) unable to squat. The best I can manage is to sort of fold at the waist with my knees in and lean forward a s**tload and this still leaves me 2-3 inches high and hurts my back when I load a heavy weight.

(80) 2, 3 sky high, 3 higher

Squats holding a 15kg plate to chest - 8 only about 1.5 inches high

Bench (60) 9 good, bit tied (92.5) 5 v.v. hard but v. pleased, 3 hard, 3 hard, 3 hard, 3 hard

Military Press (37.5) 7 easy, 6 easy, 5 easy

Squatting was a disaster. Bench was good given illness. Realised I probably need to learn a new (proper) squat technique and do some kind of physio to fix my mobility issues.
PikefingersIcon...18-04-2016 @ 21:05 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Last Friday 06:45

Bodyweight 85.6

Paused close grip bench

(60) 4 v. easy (8) 4 v. hard, 4 v. hard (70) 4 ok, 4 ok (60) 4 long pauses
PikefingersIcon...18-04-2016 @ 21:08 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
satutday 16th April

Deadlift - after a day spend sawing down a 35ft conifer

(60) 15 ok (90) 7 ok (115)3 good (135) 3 dropped on end of bar on an obstruction and got put off, 1, 1, 2, 2 good

This was pretty crap but to be expected given illness and the fact that I had spent a day doing hard labour

Pullups 7 ok, 7 hard, 6 good

Barbell curls (37.5) 6 hard, 6 hard, 6 hard, 6 hard, 6 hard
PikefingersIcon...18-04-2016 @ 21:15 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Monday 18th April

Bodyweight 85.9

Squat holding 15kg plate to chest 10 - just about to depth

Squat - rack height on power rack moved down one notch & squatting to bars as before. These felt ridiculously deep

(60) 8 just to depth, 6 almost to depth
(80) 4 hard, 4 hard, 4 hard

Conclusion: I probably can do a proper squat, but only after some mobility work - but it feels pretty uncomfortable at the moment

Bench (60) 10 good (92.5) 5 v. hard, 5 hard, 4 v. hard, 4 v hard, 4 hard but good

Miliraty press (42.5) 8 hard, 7 hard, 6 good

Much better session that last week. Will persist with squats, doing a set of plate squats first to work up, a bit of stretching and using light weights. Will also try hard to resist leaning forward. The problem with squatting in a rack and using the side supports as a depth marker is that it can encourage you (me) to lean forward to touch the bar on the side supports - which is stupid.
PikefingersIcon...20-04-2016 @ 20:58 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Wed 18:45

Paused close grip bench

(60) 4 snappy (80) 4 good, 4 good, 4 hard (70) 4 good, 4 hard

Much better than last week. Looks like I'm recovered from illness.

Probably won't try to go much heavier with the paused close grip stuff until I'm using more weight for regular bench. Will work on getting more speed on all sets over the next few weeks.
PikefingersIcon...09-05-2016 @ 22:05 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Posting a few sessions here to catch-up

Thurs - date ??

Bodyweight 86.2

Deads (60) 15 good (90) 7 good (115) 3 grip failing (135) 6 v. hard, last 2 done rest-pause - but good!

Pullups 7 good, 7 good, 7 hard

EZ Curls (40) 6 hard but good, 6 hard, 6 hard, v. hard


Monday - date ???

Bodyweight 86.9

Squats (holding a 15kg plate to chest)

Done to one rung lower on the rack

(60) 9 OK bit slow & uncomfortable
(80) 5 good
(100)4 , 4 hard but depth good

Bench (60) 10 v. good (92.5) 5 ok, 5 ok, 5 ok, 5 hard, 5 hard

Military Press (42.5) 8 hard, 7 good, 7 v. hard

Wednesday - date???

Bodyweight 86.7

Paused close grip bench

(60) 4 good (80) 4 good, 4 good, 4 good (70) 4 good, 4

29/04/16

Bodyweight 87.0

Deadlifts (60) 16 v. good (90) v. good (115) 3 v. good & grip strong (135) 10 strong but last 5 done rest-pause

Pullups 8 good, 7 hard, 7 v. hard

E-Z Curls (40) 7 hard, 6 good, 6 hard, 6 good

Saturday 31st April

Dips 8 hard, 7 hard, 6 hard, 5 ok, 4 good, 3 good, 2 ok, 1 good

Monday - Bank holiday 2nd May

Bodyweight 87.2

Squats

(holding 15kg plate to chest) 10 - ok

(60) 10 good, (80) 5 (105) 5 good, 5 good

Bench (60) 11 v. good (95) 5 hard but good, 5 better, 4 hard, 4 good, 4 ok

Military press (42.5) 8 easy, 8 good, 7 good

Thurs - 5th May

Deadlifts (60) 16 good but unfit (90) 8 v. good (120) 3 good but grip slipping (140) 5- grip sliupping badly, 2 hard

Getting to 140 beltless double-overhand was a short-term goal. Would like to get 10 on this eventually then push on to 145 which will be all of my weights and then buy some new plates (skint at the moment), reduce reps and add in belt, chalk and over-under grip at higher weights.

Monday 09 May

Bodyweight 88.5 - following birthday celebration weekend for my bro and I

OK, I am now pretty fat - but I have got a lot stronger quite quickly

Squats - poundages still greatly reduced due to having to completely change technique and depth

(60) 10 slow & uncomfortable (80) 5 ok (107.5) 5 hard, 5 better

Bench (60) 11 good (95) 5 good, 5 v. good, 5 hard but good, 5 good, 5 good

Military press (42.5) 8 good, 8 good, 8 good
PikefingersIcon...09-05-2016 @ 22:09 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I have decided this training cycle is going to be all about getting a bench PB. (ie. 120+) - think I did 122.5 in gym, but 120 is best paused

My best 5x5 training weight was 100KG. That is still a long way off, but it is now within sight at least. When I get to that point or thereabouts I should be getting close to my previous best strength levels. Best previous for 1 set of 5 was 111KG, but I think than when i did that I was probably good for more than 120/122.5, I just didn't manage to put the training and the single lifts together.

At 88.5kg I am already pretty porky as already stated - but I am a lot lighter than I was when I did my previous max benching (was 100KG then). Don't want to get any heavier than 95KG at the absolute most really.
PikefingersIcon...17-05-2016 @ 21:25 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Bodyweight 88kg

Wednesday paused, close grip bench session.

(60) 5 v. good - actually felt some whip in the bar on the way up (82.5) 4 easy = good pauses, 4 v. good, 4 v. good
(70) 6 good, 5 comfortable

Thursday

Bodyweight 88.5kg

Deadlift (60) 16 feeling v. unfit (90) 8 ok but uncomfortable (120) 3 ok - grip better than last week (140) 6 or 7?, 3 hard but good

Pullups 8 v. good, 8 ok, 8 v. v. hard

E-Z Curls (40) 7 v. hard, 7 hard, 6 ok, 6 hard
PikefingersIcon...17-05-2016 @ 21:26 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Saturday

Press-ups 30, 30, 30 - few hours between sets

Last Saturday I did 4x25 in a similar fashion
PikefingersIcon...17-05-2016 @ 21:34 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Tues 17th May

Bodyweight 89.5 - I really want to stay below 90 for a bit longer...

Squats (60) 10 - v. uncomfortable at first, but then good
(85) 5 good
(110) 5 v slow but steady & good, 5 bit scrappy

Bench (60) 12 good-ish (80) 3 v. easy (97.5) 5 no harder than 5@95 last week, 5 v hard but good, 5 v hard but good, 4 hard but good, 4""

MP (42.5) 9 ok, 8 ok, 8 hard but good

This was a very very good session. Had an extra day of rest as this would normally have been done on Monday.
If I can get to 100 for 5x5 (and maybe just a tiny bit beyond) at close to 90KG bodyweight, I will be very happy with things.
StevenFattyIcon...17-05-2016 @ 22:02 
Avatar
My name is Steven , I am a fatty.
Member 6048, 393 posts
Post Edited: 17.05.2016 @ 22:03 PM by StevenFatty
I think you should have 5 X 5 at 100 in you. You did 127 x 7. Once you've got your form sorted, you should nail them. Or do you mean your bench?

I found with squats, as soon as I started implementing the basic cues for a solid squat, everything fell into place and my form more or less sorted itself out. As long at I'm bracing hard in my abdomen, pulling down on the bar, keeping my knees out, it works out ok.
PikefingersIcon...17-05-2016 @ 22:12 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
StevenFatty said:I think you should have 5 X 5 at 100 in you. You did 127 x 7. Once you've got your form sorted, you should nail them. Or do you mean your bench?

I found with squats, as soon as I started implementing the basic cues for a solid squat, everything fell into place and my form more or less sorted itself out. As long at I'm bracing hard in my abdomen, pulling down on the bar, keeping my knees out, it works out ok.


I'm actually thinking bench. I did 5x5@100 about 4 or 5 years ago at a ridiculously out of shape 100KG bodyweight and also managed one good set of 111x5. I'm pretty close to 97.5 for 5x5 at the moment (5, 5, 5, 4, 4 tonight).

Squats I have had to go back to basics on. -Did you watch the 125x7 vid above? That was a pretty nasty set. Started getting back probs from all the forward lean around that time. Have taken the weight right down and I'm now building it up with better form.

-Totally agree with you on following simple queues. If I tense my mid section I feel a lot more stable at the bottom and less likely to lean forward.
StevenFattyIcon...17-05-2016 @ 23:04 
Avatar
My name is Steven , I am a fatty.
Member 6048, 393 posts
Yes mate, I saw your video.

When I started training back when I was twenty, I had the same issues, my squat looked exactly like yours. I then got some decent coaching from a powerlifting friend, and my squat form was fixed in the space of one workout. Before that, I believed I'd never be able to squat.

Nowadays, my technique has probably deteriorated, my mobility is not what it used to be thanks to the hammering I've given my body. I find it hard to brace on the squat, that's why I wear a belt, it helps me to maintain that abdominal pressure under ''heavy'' loads. One false move, and my lower back will play hell with me, but that abdominal pressure really helps keep my core tight.

I'm sure you'l get that 5 X 5 @ 100 bench press in no time, and I'm sure you will get way beyond that with more time.

1234567891011121314151617181920212223

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions