REGISTER
 
You are here: Home → Forum → General Bullshit → Equipped Lifting!

Equipped Lifting!

123

RobIconEquipped Lifting!11-04-2007 @ 22:21 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 11.04.2007 @ 22:21 PM
So, now that Joni has officially started his adventure into equipped lifting, are there any others on the site who have previously been anti-equipped that may give it a go?

I think I'll do the North West Equipped later in the year. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll still prefer unequipped lifting (and will always regard it as a better test of strength) but powerlifting these days is largely equipment based: that's the direction it has gone in, for better or worse.

Unless I want to do only one or two competitions a year then it looks like it's time to give equipped lifting a go! I quite like the thought of knee wraps and don't even mind thinking of a squat suit. I still don't like the whole bench shirts thing but I suppose it would be silly to make judgement on them without trying them first.
AlexIcon...11-04-2007 @ 23:14 
Avatar
Picca Boo
Member 16, 1204 posts
SQ 140, BP 130, DL 200
470.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Never, it doesn't interest me in the slightest.


I still don't like the whole bench shirts thing but I suppose it would be silly to make judgement on them without trying them first.


I don't get this mate. You know exactly what they do, push your arms in to help you lift the weight up, what judgement is needed? You either like the idea of that or you don't, surely Confused
HaydenIcon...11-04-2007 @ 23:29 
Avatar
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
I have never understood the concept of equipped lifting, im not trying to insult anyone and it still is very impressive but surely it is the same as asking someone to give you a hand with the weight and just basically lift it with you. I will most likely get myself in some equipment but does anyone think the same as me?
RickIcon...11-04-2007 @ 23:33 
Avatar
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10068 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
If you're doing competitions and want to be, well, competitive, then you'll have to go equipped. But if you're only doing them for fun and to measure your improvement with refereed lifts, there's no reason you couldn't do what Tokar does and lift raw in all the NW comps.

I think you're going to enjoy the squatting gear, though Grin.
HaydenIcon...11-04-2007 @ 23:37 
Avatar
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
I'm terrified of trying to get myself into one of those things lol, it can take me 5 minutes to get into my old jeans. I imagine it would look something like a horse with one leg trying to frantically stand up in a pool of mud.... o ye with allot of swearing and throwing of objects.Tongue
RobIcon...11-04-2007 @ 23:40 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Originally posted by Alex...
I don't get this mate. You know exactly what they do, push your arms in to help you lift the weight up, what judgement is needed? You either like the idea of that or you don't, surely Confused


Whether it's fun or not of course.
DavidIcon...12-04-2007 @ 00:07 
Avatar
I ♥ Dr. Gillian McKeith
Member 17, 742 posts
SQ 0, BP 180, DL 0
180.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
I'll give equipped lifting ago, why not. I'll probably only lift in eqiupment legal in the IPF for a good while first though. When you going to slip on the suit/knee wraps then Rob?
RobIcon...12-04-2007 @ 00:18 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
I think I'll give Jonny's knee wraps a run out a fews weeks after the unequipped, if I like what I see I shall be purchasing some!

Probably a few more months then till a squat suit - it depends if there are any comps over the summer (like the Lancs and Cheshire).

I'll definitely still do the great majority of my training unequipped.
jimblanchflowerIcon...12-04-2007 @ 00:35 
Teabagger for hire
Member 54, 237 posts
There is talk in the IPF of changing the rules about support gear. The rumour is that manufacturers will only be able to use much thinner, softer fabrics. This may help to create less of a difference between the equipped and raw lifters.

Personally I think that less would better, but I need some sort of knee wrap to prevent pain, when I squat, and the bench shirt helps to support an old shoulder injury.I always use a belt as well, but I would be happy to do away with the super suits, that is because I do not really get anything out of them. A tight suit just makes it even harder for me to get in.

Of course there is nothing to stop you lifting unequipped at any comp. or just using knee wraps, or whatever you like within the rules. For younger lifters the banch shirt is the only one that makes much difference.
JoniIcon...12-04-2007 @ 08:37 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
hey rob, dont get ahead of things, lol! I liked the knee wraps, but i still think equipped lifting is.... silly! But, even if it is silly, i can understand the attraction of moving bigger weights. And it is easy to get tempted by the possibility to make bigger weights move.

one thing to consider, especially with your injury prone history rob is that I think equipped lifting is much more injury risky for new lifters. You are handling much bigger weights with a very specific rom and if something goes wrong it is just down to the spotters speed to bail you out. Also, seem to run into many people who have hurt their backs from using squat suits because of the cumulative added pressure of bigger weights and the tight suit compressing the spine.

Having said all this, i am sure i will give it a go one day, just for fun. I dont think i will chance my opinion about it, or make it my main way of training, but i dont see any harm in having a go!
RobIcon...12-04-2007 @ 10:11 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Yes but I'm sure there are lots of arguments that equipped lifting can be safer - indeed, that's what the whole bench shirt thing orginated from isn't it? Just protective gear.

My injuries haven't been brought about from missing reps or anything like that, so I don't think it's really too much of an issue. Although obviously you can't go too heavy too fast for the sake of your joints.
JoniIcon...12-04-2007 @ 10:13 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
i would bet my left bollock that the modern shirts are more prone to cause serious injury than to prevent one, they add so much.
jimblanchflowerIcon...12-04-2007 @ 11:07 
Teabagger for hire
Member 54, 237 posts
I think a very supportive super-tight shirt will increase risk of injury. Ian Kinghorn broke his humerus last year because of this. It was a nasty compound fracture as well. however, it would be possible to use a softer shirt to support the shoulder girdle and reduce the incidence of rotator cuff injuries. These are a huge problem to the heavy bencher.
SparrowIcon...12-04-2007 @ 16:09 
Avatar
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 255, BP 167.5, DL 330
752.5 kgs @ 103kgs Eq
Someone at Adlington did the same thing as Kinghorn around the same time (Peter). The only pain I ever get in my shoulders when benching is when using the shirt (never mind the elbows too).
BoarIcon...12-04-2007 @ 17:18 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
I feel there is a benefit to equipped training - there certainly isnt anything helping unrack the bar and walkout - and although there is very good support/spring factor at the bottom, i definatley feel more secure in a suit, Its just another string to the powerlifting bow.

as for the shirts, they hurt like f**k.

123

You are here: Home → Forum → General Bullshit → Equipped Lifting!
© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions