REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 240 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitEquipped Lifting!

Equipped Lifting!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

tokarIcon...16-04-2007 @ 16:36 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Olly, I'm totally with you on the absurdity of the escalating equipment in the WPO - unfortunately I'm not sure how true it is to say that people no longer relate to these lifts.

If you look at the comments on Powerliftingwatch about the Arnold's affiliation to USAPL rather than WPO, there are at least as many and probably more comments ridiculing the choice, saying things like "Who wants to see an 800lb squat"? Well, you and me obviously - but in the US they just love big numbers, whether they're put up by lifters or hydraulics. They also say that there's no spectacle in IPF - no loud music during lifts for instance! For me, the whole metal music spectacle of WPO is one of the worst things about it. One person suggested that the WPO was like WWE wrestling, and I have to agree.
TonyIcon...16-04-2007 @ 16:53 
Is partial to the odd bender.
Member 6, 10239 posts
SQ 280, BP 192.5, DL 317.5
790.0 kgs @ 102kgs Eq
Post Edited: 16.04.2007 @ 16:54 PM
I enjoy a good equipped lift as much as a good raw lift. As long as they are GOOD lifts and not hight, not not paused or hitched I don't really care.

I see no reason why you can't enjoy both, I'm educated enough to know there is a difference between them and enjoy them both for what they are.
RickIcon...16-04-2007 @ 17:05 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10032 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Tony, I think that's a very good point. It does seem, though, that the super-equipped feds tend to have no pauses, high squats, and dodgy DL lockouts. I've seen people post on places like PLW that you can't expect somebody in double ply suit and briefs to hit a proper depth, in which case IMO they should just fail them!

It does seem crazy though that people are bombing out of meets because they can't get bars to their chests or pull themselves down to parallel against the resistance of their suit. At that point it's gone far, far too far.
tokarIcon...16-04-2007 @ 17:10 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Rick...
Tony, I think that's a very good point. It does seem, though, that the super-equipped feds tend to have no pauses, high squats, and dodgy DL lockouts. I've seen people post on places like PLW that you can't expect somebody in double ply suit and briefs to hit a proper depth, in which case IMO they should just fail them!

It does seem crazy though that people are bombing out of meets because they can't get bars to their chests or pull themselves down to parallel against the resistance of their suit. At that point it's gone far, far too far.

Crazy gear and dodgy judging are both symptoms of the same "heavy weights at any cost" mentality. That's why they occur together so often.
IcepickIcon...16-04-2007 @ 17:14 
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 16.04.2007 @ 17:22 PM
Agree, the wpo does have some strong lifters but some of the s**t that is going on there is just taking the piss, take a look at the vid below, as a lifter, how can this dude even step off the plaform and be proud of his lifts, and as for being impressive, I did rather see a deep 300kg squat over that squat anyday.

RickIcon...16-04-2007 @ 18:05 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10032 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 16.04.2007 @ 18:06 PM
Funnily enough, that's exactly the vid I was thinking of when I wrote my post! Squat a mile high, bench only just pulled down to his chest (and absolutely not paused), and a "deadlift" coming out of his hands at the top.

The attempt to salvage it via the magic of Def Leppard was better than the lifting. All hail the mighty Lep.
brynevansIcon...16-04-2007 @ 18:06 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Yes I think for all the reasons outlined earlier Arnold's will associate themselves with the IPF affiliated organisation but perhaps it may be to do with doping? Steriod use/possesion in the USA is a much more serious offence than here and perhaps Arnold himself cannot give speeches on stamping out drugs in California and then have a bunch of gear heads compete at his fitness weekend. It then looks like he is condoning drug use. Of course when he was competing as a bodybuilder it was legal and thats just fine............
littlegirlbunnyIcon...16-04-2007 @ 19:06 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Rick...
The attempt to salvage it via the magic of Def Leppard was better than the lifting. All hail the mighty Lep.

LOL that was exactly my thought when I first seen the vid - Top quality soundtrack, shame about the benching! Tongue Grin
CuddlesIcon...17-04-2007 @ 13:20 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Originally posted by brynevans...
Yes I think for all the reasons outlined earlier Arnold's will associate themselves with the IPF affiliated organisation but perhaps it may be to do with doping? Steriod use/possesion in the USA is a much more serious offence than here and perhaps Arnold himself cannot give speeches on stamping out drugs in California and then have a bunch of gear heads compete at his fitness weekend. It then looks like he is condoning drug use. Of course when he was competing as a bodybuilder it was legal and thats just fine............

Im not sure I see it as a drug issue at all. I think thats a guise for the real reason; they couldnt be associated with an organisation that has been cheating its lifters out of money. The Arnold has a reputation to uphold and the WPO just doesnt cut the mustard anymore.

If it was a drugs issue then surely strongman, olympic lifting and bodybuilding would be going a similar route at the Arnold, but they're not.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitEquipped Lifting!
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions