REGISTER
 
You are here: Home → Forum → General Bullshit → Equipped Lifting!

Equipped Lifting!

123

purplepaulIcon...12-04-2007 @ 19:15 
Avatar
has free and readily available gothic porn
Member 29, 1088 posts
SQ 1, BP 100, DL 200
301.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
jhonny is right about shirts hurting like f**k, i thought i was about to pass out and have my chest cave in the first few times i used one

rob i have a set of knee wraps you can have they are 2m titan ones
joe gave me his old 2.5m inzer ones he used while lifting with the bpc
just let me know if you want themGrin
tokarIcon...12-04-2007 @ 22:46 
Avatar
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
I can't see myself doing it. Rob, I think you're slightly out of date in saying that "equipped is where the sport is headed". It's been headed that way for a very long time, but if there's a trend at all at the moment I'd say it's more towards "less equipped" (as per IPF) and raw. Not that I think there is enough impetus to make raw as big as equipped - the lure of big weights will always mean equipped will always win out - but I think it's important to support unequipped lifting so that it continues to make progress.

Personally I'd like to see what difference a squat suit and bench shirt would make to my lifts - in theory. In practice I just can't be arsed with being manhandled into material so tight it leaves bruises by three people and a heap of Tesco bags. Over half an hour.

I also don't like the principle of equipped lifting because I think the line has to be drawn fairly early on if you don't want the ludicrous escalation you get in the American clown feds.

So no, I can't see myself doing it.
JoniIcon...13-04-2007 @ 07:56 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
purplepaul, if rob hesitates, i'll buy them off you Grin
IcepickIcon...13-04-2007 @ 15:51 
Avatar
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
Equipped lifting is where it is at!!....I used to be against the gear and even now you will never catch me in some ubber tight stuff that takes more than a couple of mins to get on. I just can't imagine max squat attempts without some sort of knee wraps, raw squats can be harsh on the hips as well, if you are after longevity in this game, then you have to stay protected even if it is just loose support.

Also it is all very well too easy to say that that one person gets x amounts of kilos from a squat suit or bench shirt, the real truth is that no one knows as most do not train to peak raw.
BoarIcon...13-04-2007 @ 16:46 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
Originally posted by tokar...
but I think it's important to support unequipped lifting


lol, im going to support it alright, with a titan boss suit !!

no, each to their own, we godda do what we want and let others do what they want
SparrowIcon...14-04-2007 @ 11:00 
Avatar
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 255, BP 167.5, DL 330
752.5 kgs @ 103kgs Eq
You're quite a diplomat Jonny!

This is a funny one for me considering since my very first few squat/dead workouts I was equipped (and stayed that way for a long time!). Now I've switched to raw lifting and am enjoying it just as much. Am I allowed to like both? Jonny? Wink

In all honesty I prefer raw, but if I'm going to lift in a competition where equipment is allowed I'm going to use it (being the competitive git that I am), whether it's powerlifting or strongman, so the squat suit and bench shirt are going to have to stay put. The majority of my training, however, will be raw.
BoarIcon...14-04-2007 @ 11:53 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
Post Edited: 14.04.2007 @ 11:55 AM
I will allow it.

RAW.......huuurrghhh
what is it good for ?
absolutley nothing !
say it again .....


not my words, but the words of the temptations and later, edwin starr.
McLarenIcon...14-04-2007 @ 12:27 
Yet another dieter
Member 66, 252 posts
SQ 190, BP 145, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Talking of protecting the hips: Is their a pair of loose fitting briefs I can get that wont make me walk around like a prat when I have them on that will give me some hip support?
Big_silly_man_DanIcon...14-04-2007 @ 18:15 
Avatar
sold boar a shit car
Member 27, 209 posts
SQ 220, BP 170, DL 240
630.0 kgs @ 119kgs UnEq
If we can assume that everyone gains more or less the same from a certain piece of equipment, then why bother ?
It's just bravado thinking you can lift more than you really can and you might aswell just assume you would bench another 20kg, just like everyone else does.
Personally, I don't even use a Belt or Knee Wraps, I'm totally Raw.
Half the time I don't even wear underpants.
My muscles lift the weight, my clothing protects my modesty.
Well, almost.
Just my 2p.
BoarIcon...14-04-2007 @ 19:09 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
If someone has a strong lockout they will get more from a bench shirt - joe at adders has a better raw bench than a guy called wayne but a weaker equipped bench, As im piss poor out of the hole i believe i get more from a suit than others as im good on the last 2/3rds, (hopefully this will continue when tony gets his fat ass into a decent suit)Wink
BoarIcon...14-04-2007 @ 19:11 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
Post Edited: 14.04.2007 @ 19:11 PM
Originally posted by McLaren...
Talking of protecting the hips: Is their a pair of loose fitting briefs I can get that wont make me walk around like a prat when I have them on that will give me some hip support?


http://www.pullumsports.com/details.html?code=CBTB01

i believe these arent as severe as the briefs i have - especially if you get 'training' size, i.e one up.
CuddlesIcon...16-04-2007 @ 15:30 
Avatar
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I get and understand equipped lifting. I can see that to be a proper competitive powerlifter you need to lift in equipment as its where the big prizes lay.

I dont agree that 'equipment' is the future though. Arguably the biggest powerlifting competition in the annual calender (Arnolds) has announced that it has changed from WPO to an American IPF affiliate, and it had been well documented that the IPF wants to at least look at what direction equipment is going in.

Within the last 5 years we've seen an emergence, at least in the UK of some serious unequipped competitions, something that didnt really exist a few years ago. The New England Record Breakers was one of the most anticipated events in recent memory, and you wanna know why? Becuase it was unequipped.

Ive lifted in equipment, albeit only a bench shirt, its fun, for a few weeks. Then the reality sets in; im supposed to be showing how strong I am but instead im showing 'how well I know my shirt' or 'how good my lockout is'. That isnt really for me. I really hope that strongman doesnt go the equipment route. I want to be a good strongman and I want to win, so Id be forced to use equipment to maintain a level playing field, but I dont want to.

Big federations like the WPO have almost shot themselves in the foot. Allowing stupid amounts of equipment has meant that people no longer relate to the weight being lifted as that impressive. I mean ive seen and heard of sooo many 1000lb squats that its now just a number, unless someone does it the IPFWink

Still, despite not liking the equipment im very much of the same opinion as Boar, each to their own. Just dont compare equipped numbers to RAW, becuase they are a WHOLE different ball game.
CuddlesIcon...16-04-2007 @ 15:31 
Avatar
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
All that being said, Rob, I have a nice Titan Fury for you to try when you turn to the darksideWink Grin
BoarIcon...16-04-2007 @ 15:40 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
Originally posted by Olly...
All that being said, Rob, I have a nice Titan Fury for you to try when you turn to the darksideWink Grin


LOL Rob is shying away from the bench shirts - im thinking its because he has seen me, tony n paul with our tops off, dignity spilled all over the floor, breasts mis-shapen and all the tugging and doesnt yet fancy getting his tits out for the lads.

Its a humbling experience.Grin
RobIcon...16-04-2007 @ 16:32 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
It's a matter of time I suppose. Alan even said last week that I should get a lot out of them because it's not my lockout thats weak.

Time will tell Grin

123

You are here: Home → Forum → General Bullshit → Equipped Lifting!
© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions