REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 449 guests
You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts

View All Posts: Martin1956

12345678910 ... ... 506507508509510511512513514515516

» GOOD LUCK IN COMPS (Go to post)14-07-2007 @ 20:49 
Scotland 1 England 0 Happy Happy - just!
» Hello & Squat advice (Go to post)13-07-2007 @ 22:47 
Originally posted by Titch...
Hey, good luck this weekend Martin! Hadn't realised you were competing too. Same comp as Boar and Tony?

Nice benching.Happy

Thanks Titch. No, they're at the gay pride one in Bournemouth, I'm at the intellectual one at Bradford Uni!Happy Happy

I'm hoping I don't run into the three Yorkshiremen (Hole in't roooad. You were looocky!)
» Hello & Squat advice (Go to post)13-07-2007 @ 18:53 
Hi Mate. I'm a sort of record holder. Got the BWLA M2 100s Unequipped Bench (157.5) but all records started afresh in February 2005 so who knows who lifted more before that? Also got the BDFPA M3 100s Equipped Bench record (172.5) in May, but there was no record to beat so the bar would have done it - if I could have got a touch! I hope to get the BDFPA raw and equipped M3 records this weekend, but my goal is to hit 192.5 equipped because that will be a BWLA M2 Equipped British record and a WDFPF World M3 record. Hope to get that either at the Worlds in September or the NW Bench in December. I'm going to focus on equipped lifting once I get July out of the way. I'd also like to do 160 raw either tomorrow (probably just too soon after injury) on at the BWLA Raw British on 29th July. Probably depends on whether I can get into the zone properly.
» Hello & Squat advice (Go to post)13-07-2007 @ 13:42 
Originally posted by Titch...
Originally posted by Martin1956...
Hi Titch. Welcome to Sugdenland. We've had a couple of agreements and a couple of disagreements over on MT, but I'm sure we'll agree on all things powerlifting!

Hi Martin, would I guess correctly at GoldenOldie?Tongue

Well whoever you are, disagreements are stimulating! I'm all ears for powerlifting advice though; I'll just listen and take on board whatever you guys say.Wink

Yes, mate, you'd be right! Going stir crazy atm not training this week. Big weekend ahead.
» Sugden Barbell T Shirt Order (Go to post)12-07-2007 @ 23:54 
Forgot to ask - do you do them in Old Gold?Happy
» Hello & Squat advice (Go to post)12-07-2007 @ 23:53 
Hi Titch. Welcome to Sugdenland. We've had a couple of agreements and a couple of disagreements over on MT, but I'm sure we'll agree on all things powerlifting!
» Sugden Barbell T Shirt Order (Go to post)12-07-2007 @ 09:24 
XL for me please, Rob, and I'll get it at the M&Wink. Cheers. PS - You shouldn't be making a loss!! Cover your costs!
» GOOD LUCK IN COMPS (Go to post)09-07-2007 @ 22:43 
Post Edited: 09.07.2007 @ 22:44 PM
I echo everything but the last sentence. Gonna wipe the floor with yer English asses! "Welcome tae yer gory bed... or tae VICTORY."Happy Wink Cool
» Done All I Can Do! (Go to post)09-07-2007 @ 22:40 
Post Edited: 09.07.2007 @ 22:40 PM
Just had my last session before this weekend's comps. Went to Catts and raw benched three pairs with 150, so feel that I'm finally back to where I was last November before the injury. My training log's over on PLUK, that's why I'm not posting it here. With any luck I might be able to give marc a run for his money. Hope to see a few of you over the weekend.
» advice please (Go to post)08-07-2007 @ 10:38 
Try going up to doubles with your planned opening weights a week before, then leave it. Also a good idea to have your last session at the same time and on the same day as the competition. So if you're lifting at noon on a Saturday, have your last workout at noon the Saturday before. Not a huge problem if you can't, but good rehearsal if you can.
» BWLA powerlfiting womans comp. (Go to post)07-07-2007 @ 10:57 
Originally posted by brynevans...
To cut a long story short you should compete unless you are very highly strung. But firstly you need to build a foundation of strength and make sure you are doing the lifts technically correct. For many people the sugden website is a lifeline so stick with it because a lack of communication can let you down. Of course your first competition can be a little stressful and you could be telling yourself that I don't need this pressure on, but everyone in powerlifting is very supportive of each other.

ok I think thats as many Spandau Ballet gags as I can fit in one paragraph.

Definitely. There's Hadley any left. I'll get my coat...
» last deadlift (Go to post)05-07-2007 @ 21:59 
Originally posted by marc...
Will try to get some vids mate haven't a clue how to download them tho only just worked out how to use computer(am from derby) Please don't mention the name of my scottish enemy boar, I am just hoping its two english victories in one weekend lol

Sorry mate, but it's going to be a double scotch!
» The Sugden barbells (Go to post)04-07-2007 @ 23:49 
Originally posted by Rick...
So at Rhino's Jim told me to go max legal on bench, and I did, and everybody commented how solid and comfortable it looked - and, indeed it felt really natural. Then the following Wednesday I went index-on-rings on the "good" bar in the Sugden and felt kind of weak. So, suspicions brewed, I brought a tape measure today.

As we knew, the fat bars are narrow - 73cm ring to ring (should be 81). For me that means if I put the first joint of my thumb on the rings, I end up about right.

The "good" bars, otoh, are actually wide. I measured them at 86cm. That means that max legal is actually, for me, pretty much ring finger on the ring - you could gamble on ring finger outside, middle finger inside, but it'd be risky. For someone with smaller hands, like LGB, max legal is probably pinky to rings.

So now we know.

Just as well I do powerlifting, otherwise all this maximum width and index fingers, pinkies and thumbs to the ring stuff would have me really worried. I hope you keep your fingernails short.Happy
» How Much Upper Back Work Do You Do? (Go to post)29-06-2007 @ 22:20 
I do lots of upper back work to aid my bench. Number of reasons. The back muscles and rear delts play an important role in lowering the bar. Lat, trap and romboid work helps maintain body balance if you're doing a lot of bench and shoulder pressing. And rear delt work (facepulls, shoulder horn, inverted dumbell raises, etc) helps avoid rotator cuff problems by keeping the shoulder in balance.

And it helps me carry invisible tvs and carpets.Happy
» Clive Henry gets IPF Worlds Gold (Go to post)28-06-2007 @ 16:59 
Originally posted by Rob...
I agree, Rick is on the ball.

We often forget how clever this man is - I mean, they did base Good Will Hunting on his story.

Ah... THAT'S why they shortened it to Will...

12345678910 ... ... 506507508509510511512513514515516

You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions