REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 132 guests
You are here: HomeForumMark → View All Posts

View All Posts: Mark

12345678910 ... ... 9899100101102103104105106107108

» Boltons Strongest Man 2012, Brilliant day. : ) (Go to post)01-08-2012 @ 01:07 
That looks great! Is there a proper vid to go with it?
» Muscleinc Strongman summerslam 22nd september 2012 (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 17:09 
joewills said:mate can you pm me bank details so i can pay online?

Same, happy to send via bank transfer, who has cheque books these days? lol
» Muscleinc Strongman summerslam 22nd september 2012 (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 00:28 
Novice please fella. Mark Woodruff Happy
» 30 MinuteTraining... (Go to post)30-07-2012 @ 14:55 
Post Edited: 30.07.2012 @ 14:58 PM by Mark
30 mins of back:
heavy DB rows, krocs if you want
chins or heavy pull downs
hang cleans

forget bi's, do tris. Tri's make up the most size, so build them instead and it will stretch the skin over the bi's making them also appear bigger Happy
» bristols strongest man novice/inters comp (Go to post)30-07-2012 @ 13:50 
Post Edited: 30.07.2012 @ 13:51 PM by Mark
My write up!!

Went to bed at midnite, a little earlier than normal as knew nerves would keep me awake for a while, fell asleep about 1am in the end.
Woken up at 1.30 by some crazy heavy rain, this was some serious downpour and suddenly my heart sank. I'd prefer blazing sun where I burn to rain lol.

get back to sleep eventually, wake up at 7.30 and have a shower n 5 weetabix. No nerves, able to eat fine, good news!
Pack my bags, get in the car and leave the house.... drive back to house to pick up bags that I have packed. Doh, clearly am nervous Tongue

Some big lads at the comp, most seem to be at least my size (or in my mind they were) but taller or 20kg lighter (wtf!).

I'm listed as 2nd in the running order of 13 (should have been 18 but fair few pulled out last min).

Event 1 - apollons axle: floor to over head, 95kg starting weight rising in 10kg. MUST put completed rep (on "good rep") on to the bags, not the floor.
1st attempt - belly clean, up to shoulders, push press. Simple. "Good rep". Down.... onto the floor. Dan (the ref just laughed and shook his head) "no rep". First lift nerves clearly hitting me lol.
Still time for another attempt, I've never tried 2 in quick succession but gave it a go. Good rep. Yes!
Pertty much everyone got it, onto 105kg.
Belly clean 105, up to shoulders, more of a push press "good rep", down onto the bags. Cool Grin
115kg - belly clean, up to chest, almost slipped but was well chalked up, got to shoulders. Knew this wasn't going up, it was sat on my chest still rather than just under my chin like the 95 and 105 was. Push press (should have tried to power jerk it really) to just over my head, no tricep strength to press out though. No lift.

No idea where I came on this yet, but thing only 5 of us got 105. Joint winners got 125, well impressed.

Event 2 - Farmers and yoke medley: farmers 110kg in each hand, low pick up handles for 20m straight into 260 yoke for 20m.
To save time on the height change for yoke we didn't go in order, just in who wanted to do x height, then move it up and do next people until all have done it. I went on the 2nd height which was about 8th person.
Nobody dropped the farmers and they were all fast, but this then screwed most for the yoke, less than half in total completed both parts. I was one of them Yes!
Nice steady farmers, nothing lighting speed but fast enough. Under the yoke, 260kg suddenly felt like over 300 (never done the 2 together so quickly before). Lifted, got moving. Think I covered 10m before first drop, knew not to stand up and breathe, just pick up and go again. Think I dropped it once more, then over the line. Awesome Grin

Event 3 - Car deadlift, 60 secs. Front bar rather than side handles, I think about 230kg in the hands. Lift da weight from a dead stop silly! Wait for lift command and down command.
Hands were aching from squeezing the farmers not long before, we were back to list order meaning I was 2nd up for this. Eek.
First bloke struggled, it was raining again and I didn't have spare socks so had to do it in my trainers (basketball boots with a thick heel making the lift higher, doh!).
rocked up to the car, lifted first rep "down", sweet 1 rep. I then waited..... looked up at Dan and he said something like "what you waiting for?" "the lift command you fanny Tongue". Doh Grin
Busted out 6 reps. After 6 it felt like i was gonna s**t myself, seriously. Bad times. 20s left and I'm thinking 1 more and I'm gonna be glad i've got dark shorts on and its raining!!!
"10 seconds" was called. Bust out 2 more to make 8 reps. 4th in this event (winner got 19 (over 350kg powerlifter), 2nd was 16 and 3rd 9 reps.
Lesson learned there, get the **** on with it, walked away from that feeling like i could do it again. Damn.

Lunch break - jelly babies and flap jack nom nom nom

Event 4 - Block press, 75s (I think) floor to overhead for reps. 90kg metal block, forged from the depths of hell.
This is a serious piece of hell, you could see everyone (competitors and crowd) just looking at it like "wtf, that's 90kg?!". Seriously, it's like a breeze block, not like the flat ones you can grab easily in other comps, this was a beast.
I hate it and have struggled with it immensly in the gym, it scares the life out of me (and clearly the same for others who have just set eyes on it).
First person up, I didn't really pay attention, I knew that 1 rep would be a big score here. 2nd person up, i realise its not me! We're running in reverse order now, meaning I'm 1 from last to go. Breathing space and a chance to see what others do.
Superman Tom (was 2nd to go, he got 4 reps. I've seen him do the same in the gym and expected this from him, simply awesome to watch). Then no one else lifted it until the Ryan who got 3. Lots of people struggling to clean the thing then get in a position to press, let alone actually press it.
My turn. I can clean this thing pretty easily, easiest part of it for me. 3,2,1 go - On to toes, lap it, hip drive to chest, sweet. Hold under chin, little push press "HEAD THROUGH MARK" I heard, needed this reminder to take my eyes off it. "good lift". Down to the floor. f**k yeah Grin
By this time the platform was wet with people walking on and off it, i know the block would get wet from this so had a pocket full of chalk and gave it a wipe.
On to toes, lap, drive to chest. Great!
Wait, thumb is moving under the weight, in a wet spot. Damn! Chest was well chalked so rested on chest and tried to get it dry with chalk. Thumb back under, felt better. Push press, almost locked out, but couldn't get under it or take eyes off it. Confidence had gone. Dropped it. Time for a 3rd attempt, go it to chest but no time to attempt a press.
3rd in this event, I think my mum filmed this one so will find it and post it up. 1 rep, YES! Grin

5th Event - barrel loading. carry barrel to yoke, throw it over. 54" yoke height, then padding on top adding 2". 75 sec. 60kg over 20m, 90kg over 15m, 100kg over 10m, 120kg over 5m.
At this point I know I am in 5th and being 1 from the end I know the the person in 4th only got 3 barrels. Not many actually completed all 4.Few people wearing gloves for this!! must have helped, good idea!
Run in is towards the crowd, so they can see us all grimacing lol.
Stood at the starting line I said "I've not run 20m since I was 12" which Joe (on the mic) proudly repeated to the crowd which got a laugh and a cheer. Great atmosphere Grin
Go!
1st barrel, simples, no sprinting, just jog it over I've got 75s and going to fast will screw me on last barrel. Good tactic.
2nd barrel, simples. Up onto chest, 15m, over the yoke.
3rd barrel, a puddle has now formed where the barrel was, I could have moved it out of the puddle before starting and gave it a dry (wasn't raining at this point). Lean to side grab underneath and pull to chest - it slipped. Wet hands now, damn.
Lift again, lap, drive up higher onto chest. It crushed my chest and stopped me breathing. 10m, up and over it went. Sweet.
4th barrel, 120kg. I've done this a fair few times, by arms have been bruised lots by it. Much respect for the 120kg barrel. I NEED this to come 4th!
Lean, lap, up on to chest like i've done before. ****. I didn't take a breath. Need to breath but cant! Get to the yoke and had to drop it.
Take a breath, 10s left. Plenty of time.
Lean, lap, drive to chest and pop it over to a great cheer Grin

That's it. Done. Awesome first comp and i'm proud of getting 4th Happy

Joe comes on the mic to do the results in reverse order.
13, 12,11,10,9,8,7,6... at this point i'm not quite listening clearly and start walking over ready to raise hand when he announces 4th.
4th place - rhys. Umm, wtf? I'm thinking did he miss 5th, has something gone wrong?
He stopped for a moment "and now on to our top 3", i'm confused.
3rd place - Mark!!!!! Wtf!!! Yes Grin
2nd place - Tom (hope tom carries on training after this, he will be awesome with some more technique. Him screwing up car deadlift and getting 7 reps lost him 1st place, but meant I was 3rd lol).
1st place - Ryan (2nd in 105kg southern qualifier for natural strongest man).

Over the moon. Grin

Home and I can't eat, wife went and got a huge amount of fried chicken. Not eaten all night, cant piss or s**t.
Spent an hour in the hot tub with beer though, perfect Grin

I am aching today. My who core is still tight (think that is what was stopping me eating or going to the toilet), plenty of stretching for me later I think!! Grin

----------------------

It was a fantastic comp for my first one, the crowd were great and the atmosphere between all competitors was excellent. All helping out where we could, little hints and tips and sharing of chalk and equipment where needed. Loads of encouragement even if the person active at that time was going to beat someone else. Exactly how I hoped it would be Happy

Credit to Dan, Joe and Olly and the girls doing the admin part Grin
» Strongman competition in Cornwall! (Go to post)30-07-2012 @ 13:44 
Definitely interested Happy
» Jamie's Log.. (Go to post)29-07-2012 @ 22:21 
Terminator said:
Thanks man, you did great too, and were soooo close on that block too. Unlucky not to get it !

I got 1 rep Grin
» Training Log (Go to post)29-07-2012 @ 22:20 
Excellent axle pressing today fella, you were so close on the 130! Happy
» Jamie's Log.. (Go to post)29-07-2012 @ 21:25 
Great write up fella, it was a heavy comp and the rain didn't help.
Your barrels were excellent, really had the crowd going after a long day for them Happy
» bristols strongest man novice/inters comp (Go to post)29-07-2012 @ 21:17 
Excellent comp, thanks to Joe, Dan and Olly, you've put the southwest on the map for strongman Happy

Big congrats to all who competed, the atmosphere between us was great Happy
» Another set of random numbers! (Go to post)27-07-2012 @ 15:08 
Ben_Something said:
Event 5 – Frame deadlift (7 reps with 25KG extra weight added after each rep) – 1st place

I had recovered from the previous event about 2 minutes prior to starting this one! The weight was estimated at being 250KG -330KG in roughly 15KG increments. 5 or 6 guys had finished the 7 reps by the time it came around to me. I pulled all 7 as fast as I possibly could for a time of 18 seconds

7 reps from 250-330 in 18s!!! That is insane!
» Giants live Melbourne (Go to post)27-07-2012 @ 14:46 
leeboy said:think its on again today about 4 ish euro sport2

Will have to get the wife to check when she gets home Grin ta
» Peter Kirkbride 285kg Back Squat from Saturday (Go to post)27-07-2012 @ 14:43 
slimsim said:

Tom....you are right! Just look up BBC Olympics on the app store....top stories, up to 24 live video streams, video highlights, a page for every sport.....
It's a free app to! I'm downloading it now Happy
EDIT: bo***cks -the app needs iOS 5 - anyone know what I need to do to sort this? I've got an iPhone 4 Unhappy

nice one, will get that myself for when catchupTV isn't showing what I want (well worth everyone having catchuptv bookmarked tbh)

iOS5 update, are you jailbroken? If so you might want to be cautious about which version you upgrade to as you might not be able to jailbreak the latest one (not checked in a while what does and doesn't JB!).
» Giants live Melbourne (Go to post)26-07-2012 @ 22:49 
Post Edited: 26.07.2012 @ 22:49 PM by Mark
Ah crap, we need a tv schedule thread with stuff like this posted nice and early Tongue
» Jesse Marunde (Go to post)26-07-2012 @ 12:16 
johnHorton said:cant beleive its been 5 yrs already. he was a great bloke, and he left his mark on the sport at a young age. god bless him,and his wife and daughter

It is amazing isnt it, 5 years yet he is fresh in peoples minds all the time when it comes to personalities and people to look up to in strongman.
Loads of groups and people posting stuff on FB yesterday, was good to see Happy

RIP Jesse Happy

12345678910 ... ... 9899100101102103104105106107108

You are here: HomeForumMark → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions