REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 152 guests

Total fitness, the posers gym?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HaydenIconTotal fitness, the posers gym?14-03-2007 @ 21:59 
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Training today at the gym with a mate, im only very light atm due to my injury but he was working on max dealifts. When we deadlift there is always allot of noise due to the weights hitting the ground etc.. but there has never been any problems until today. A manager came up, said that we needed to put our shoes on and had a rant about how he knows why we have our shoes off etc.. but it is gym policy and than told us that we have to put the weights down gently as total fitness has no interest in powerlifters and is more interested in the 'health and fitness' part of things and the nosie may put other members of. Apsolute bulls**t if you ask me, total ignorance and stupidity on there behalf as i am one of very few people who are there a MINIMUM of 5 days a week as the majority of there members are the 'sit on a cable machine and stare into space for 10mins' crowd. Any of you had any problems like this and what do you suggest?
RobIcon...14-03-2007 @ 22:01 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Join a proper gym!!

I've not really had any issues like that fortunately, but I can kind of understand the gym's perspective on it. For the noise and damage powerlifters can make they certainly aren't profitable.

Plus we do tend to forget that to most normal people we often are intimidating and somewhat scary, even if we don't mean to be.

Simple solution: train at a gym, not a health club!
DavidIcon...14-03-2007 @ 22:08 
I ♥ Dr. Gillian McKeith
Member 17, 742 posts
SQ 0, BP 180, DL 0
180.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Unlucky!

No so problems at my gym (although certainly more geared towards the bodybuilder) as there is a seperate 'power room' for the power rack/ oly barbells/ heavy DB's (up to 140lbs i think) so it isnt too bad.

Is there any other gyms nearby?
HaydenIcon...14-03-2007 @ 22:14 
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
There is fitness first which is a little bit more geared for weight training and there is silvers in bury but silvers will not be realistic as getting through traffic to get there at rush hour would not give me time to train. This total fitness i am at now has a seriously huge amount of bodybuilding and weight equipment with dumbells up to 75kg, why have all this and deny the proper use of them?
tokarIcon...14-03-2007 @ 23:26 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Which Total Fitness do you train at? To be fair to them, I train at TF in Handforth and although I have had a guy ask me to DL on the platform so as not to bring the ceiling down on the women's changing room (which is fair enough, since there is a platform specially for DLing), I have never had anyone give me any s**t about taking my shoes off, chalk etc. - and certainly no derogatory comments about PLing. There are a couple of other guys who train at similar times to me and DL big weights, and they never have any problems either. I'd just tell the individual that you pay good money to go to that gym just like anyone else who trains there and that quite frankly, he can go f**k himself.
HaydenIcon...15-03-2007 @ 00:01 
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 15.03.2007 @ 00:02 AM
Train at whitefield tf. Back in the gym on fri so will have a good long chat with the guy. One of there personal trainers is a bodybuilder and he regularly gets some max effort deads in. In my opinion i think they bein cheeky bas***ds about it.
jimblanchflowerIcon...15-03-2007 @ 07:51 
Teabagger for hire
Member 54, 237 posts
You will always experience this sort of problem as a PL. You have a different agenda from the gym owner/manager. Although the majority of gym users do not do much of anything useful they pay the same amount of money to go in.

We get regular complaints where we train. Anything from chalk on the floor. to leaving heavy barbells by the hyperextensions machine, but the owner does put himself out in some ways. He had 6 50kg weights made, and although other people use these on the leg press, they are only really necessary for me.

Your best bet, however, is to find a better place to train. The research that I have looked at suggests that people often gain better if they enter an environment where the general standards are higher. This can help you achieve the important state of mind that all PLs need where they feel pride at how much they have achieved coupled with a paradoxical sense that it is nowhere near good enough.
HaydenIcon...15-03-2007 @ 09:22 
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
I live very near heaton park. Any decent gyms that i may not know about within a 3 mile radius?
BoarIcon...15-03-2007 @ 09:49 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25581 posts
Administrator
the gym near salford precinct isnt that far from heaton park, mabie 3 miles topps
brynevansIcon...15-03-2007 @ 09:55 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Environment is important to training, if you train at a gym where you are a big fish in a small pond you have created an artificial ceiling for your performance.You will probably find yourself bottom pegging all the machines in there and the dumbells will probably be too light, training with similar or stronger people you can have a friendly competition which is bound to make you stronger. I would agree that a "chrome dumbell" type gym is not going to be accomodating to powerlifters and that its becoming increasingly common to have a seperate freeweight room as I can understand that women and pencilnecks may be intimidated by someone psyching up for a big deadlift or squat.
HaydenIcon...15-03-2007 @ 12:59 
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Boar...
the gym near salford precinct isnt that far from heaton park, mabie 3 miles topps

That was called peak and health fitness, got burnt down almost a year ago but was a pretty hardcore gym when it was there, trained there for a good few months.

Originally posted by brynevans...
Environment is important to training, if you train at a gym where you are a big fish in a small pond you have created an artificial ceiling for your performance.You will probably find yourself bottom pegging all the machines in there and the dumbells will probably be too light, training with similar or stronger people you can have a friendly competition which is bound to make you stronger. I would agree that a "chrome dumbell" type gym is not going to be accomodating to powerlifters and that its becoming increasingly common to have a seperate freeweight room as I can understand that women and pencilnecks may be intimidated by someone psyching up for a big deadlift or squat.

This is very true and it has been on my mind for a while now. I train with mates who dont really know what they are doing and are extremely new to everything. Need to get myself a training partner and a new gym.
HaydenIcon...15-03-2007 @ 16:31 
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Actually i think i may be mistaken about peak and health fitness, that was near prestwich presinct i think.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions