REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 3 members and 409 guests

I went to a Bodybuilding comp last night - shock horror !

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JCIcon...01-11-2010 @ 13:39 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Big_Gray said:
its not like im gonna make it up mate, depth wise i dont know if he would have got 3 lights but i was impressed. the guy was 8 weeks in2 a keto diet as well.
anything can be true if its a pl or a strongman but if its a bb then got be made up?
360 for 4 doesnt guarentee 400 for 1 anyway, thats a projected view.

I wasnt insinuating you were making it up, I just asked were you sure (ie. did he wear wraps and you mistakenly say raw?)

Like I said, this guy is one of the strongfest squatters in the country then I'd imagine....or they could be half squats like a lot of BB (I know I'm stereotyping a bit here)

Also, something you said earlier re training types for BB.

I am (hopefully) going to do a BB show next October, but will be doing SM training only, none of this isolation s**te!
richscottIcon...01-11-2010 @ 13:40 
Shoulderz like boulderz
Member 842, 479 posts
trouble is with BB, there are alot of armchair experts who know f**k all and gym rats that give decent bb's a bad rep.
Big_GrayIcon...01-11-2010 @ 13:48 
another lover of conans wheel
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
JC said:
I wasnt insinuating you were making it up, I just asked were you sure (ie. did he wear wraps and you mistakenly say raw?)
Like I said, this guy is one of the strongfest squatters in the country then I'd imagine....or they could be half squats like a lot of BB (I know I'm stereotyping a bit here)
Also, something you said earlier re training types for BB.
I am (hopefully) going to do a BB show next October, but will be doing SM training only, none of this isolation s**te!

half my gym doesnt squat the other half do half reps n none of them are bb's.

the prob here is that bodybuilder has become a generalised term, true bb's have awsome legs n u dont get them without doing proper squats. everyday gym users are being called bb's.

referring to training types, i used different types when bulking up and dieting, the isolaton work was to bring out specific areas when dieting and was a useful tool.

what show?
JCIcon...01-11-2010 @ 13:53 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Big_Gray said:
half my gym doesnt squat the other half do half reps n none of them are bb's.
the prob here is that bodybuilder has become a generalised term, true bb's have awsome legs n u dont get them without doing proper squats. everyday gym users are being called bb's.
referring to training types, i used different types when bulking up and dieting, the isolaton work was to bring out specific areas when dieting and was a useful tool.
what show?

Mr. Wigan

Ronnie had/has huge legs, but in the '.....redemption' DVD, he cant squat 400 raw, thats for sure
richscottIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:00 
Shoulderz like boulderz
Member 842, 479 posts
andy raynes and eddie ellwood were always the best squatters at BSM, and glen ross was a bodybuilder and his squat wasnt shabby.
JCIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:03 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
richscott said:andy raynes and eddie ellwood were always the best squatters at BSM, and glen ross was a bodybuilder and his squat wasnt shabby.

Rich, I'm not disputing BB can be good squatters

But 360x4, no wraps is immense. Big Loz, the best squatter at Worlds, squats 350 raw

I would love to see a vid fo him squatting
IainKendrickIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:11 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Most BB don't squat to PL depth. Point is if they don't need to then it dosn't matter to them.

However I have no doubt that BB are also pretty dam strong at a lot of lifts.

Khans tripple with 220 on incline bench was a pretty dam good lift I saw this year on youtube.
Big_GrayIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:28 
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
JC said:
Rich, I'm not disputing BB can be good squatters
But 360x4, no wraps is immense. Big Loz, the best squatter at Worlds, squats 350 raw
I would love to see a vid fo him squatting

i have just spoken to my friend and it was 340kg not 360kg sorry and he had single ply knees sleeves on and belt so i stand corrected. still v impressive tho.

in my eagerness to defend bb i didnt check my facts Grin

mr wigan is a great show, awsome crowd and great atmos
PeteHodgsonIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:32 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
JC said:

is this a worlds first exclusive to Sugden Barbell?? Eek
JCIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:34 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 01.11.2010 @ 14:34 PM by JC
PeteHodgson said:
is this a worlds first exclusive to Sugden Barbell?? Eek

No, most my training buddies know....Joni doesn't approve lol

I might do 2 days of dieting though and thing 'f**k this' lol

Gary - as you say, thats still very strong!
mozIcon...01-11-2010 @ 14:49 
Feasting on humble pie.
Member 51, 1692 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 185, DL 272.5
685.0 kgs @ 90.4kgs UnEq
Big_Gray said:
richscott said:well said mate, agree with everything you said, i come from bodybuilding and i dont think bodybuilders (good ones) get enough respect on here.

cheer rich, all ways happy to say my piece on bb as i am experienced, lot of people bad mouthing bb know nothing

In a sports performance wins, simple. In this 'sport' it's subjective as to who wins. I know there will be a judging criteria but that's why I find it difficult to give it any respect and plus the s**te that comes out of BB mouths is unreal.
JCs got the right idea f**k cable cross overs Happy
robocopIcon...01-11-2010 @ 15:17 
Commentators say: he benches like a bodybuilder
Member 231, 1873 posts
SQ 400, BP 275, DL 365
1040.0 kgs @ 135.7kgs Eq
Post Edited: 01.11.2010 @ 15:43 PM by robocop
hello big gray dont know you that well mate, just out of interest what level of bodybuilding where you at ie how many comps you have done/placed and so on and what you have done in strongman so far
i am realy good friends with douglas black from extreme and he holds you with high reguard but with me being injured most of this year i have not had a chance to meet you in person yet
having a sports nutrition company i spend a lot of time with bodybuilders and so on i have nothing but respect for them and some of them are mental strong
jay hughes for instance was a bodybuilder before strongman and he is one of the best in the country
it is easy to slag off bodybuilders in a strength fourm but a lot of the comments are just thrown about cause its easy to slag off the other extreme of weight training
one thing that realy upsets me about a lot of guys on the fourm is their blatent ignorance to nutrition and how they neglect such an important part of training
it is always "supplements are s**te waste of money" "what a pile of s**te i would rather spend my money bla bla" but thats their opinion so they are entitled to it
mikex101Icon...01-11-2010 @ 15:54 
never too old
Member 637, 760 posts
Post Edited: 01.11.2010 @ 15:54 PM by mikex101
Dan said:

I would be very interested to learn how they train, sets and reps, as I presume that would be the main difference to what we do ?

From what i understand

2-4exercises per muscle group
2-4 sets, 40-60 reps-ish total is common place. 7-10 days between working the same bodypart. Some more, some less.

Although there is the exception to the rule, with guys doing heavy weight, low rep stuff.

Heavy AAS & peptide use is also a year round endeavour for alot of the bigger guys.

Diet can be sporadic, depends on the guy. Some are nazis, some live how they like for most of the year, drinking etc and caridoing (is that even a word??) it off and only clean up the diet for the 16odd weeks leading up to a comp.
Doc_DIcon...01-11-2010 @ 16:00 
please use accurate taxonomy in our communication
Member 871, 469 posts
SQ 240, BP 137.5, DL 262.5
640.0 kgs @ 89kgs Eq
robocop said:it is easy to slag off bodybuilders in a strength fourm but a lot of the comments are just thrown about cause its easy to slag off the other extreme of weight training

Totally agree.
Big_GrayIcon...01-11-2010 @ 16:03 
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
robocop said:hello big gray dont know you that well mate, just out of interest what level of bodybuilding where you at ie how many comps you have done/placed and so on and what you have done in strongman so far
i am realy good friends with douglas black from extreme and he holds you with high reguard but with me being injured most of this year i have not had a chance to meet you in person yet
having a sports nutrition company i spend a lot of time with bodybuilders and so on i have nothing but respect for them and some of them are mental strong
jay hughes for instance was a bodybuilder before strongman and he is one of the best in the country
it is easy to slag off bodybuilders in a strength fourm but a lot of the comments are just thrown about cause its easy to slag off the other extreme of weight training
one thing that realy upsets me about a lot of guys on the fourm is their blatent ignorance to nutrition and how they neglect such an important part of training
it is always "supplements are s**te waste of money" "what a pile of s**te i would rather spend my money bla bla" but thats their opinion so they are entitled to it

hi andy. douggie black is a top bloke n its great to hear he thinks that of me.

did over 20 shows in bodybuilding from first timer to novice to mr. only finisihed outside the top 3 once. i have won classes at mr england, mr midlands mr north staffs. finished top 3 at nabba britain and twice qualified for ukbff british finals.

had a go at strongman training in may this year liked it did barnard castles strongest man a week after n came 4th, was 1st goin in2 last event but never done a truck pull. i then did the uk north open qualifier n came 2nd pushin col jones all the way n battling with wayne smith n liam osullivan. 4th at northumberlands strongest man, should have won but made silly mistakes. 7th in the uk north final, crap stones n truck pull knocked me right down. then 4th at wiltshires strongest man very close to karl grant n ross stone n not to far off jay hughes. all this was done whlst still training like a bb n doin events now n then when weather permitted at an outside facility with limited equipment. i now train at mark hills place regularly doin lots of event stuff so big improvements to come.

i think a lot of peoples attitude to nutrition is crazy n have said before but got drowned out Grin

thank u for the interest n look forward to meeting u in person budie

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions