REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 150 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumDoc_D → View All Posts

View All Posts: Doc_D

12345678910 ... ... 2223242526272829303132

» Dr. Nerenberg arrested for fraud- no WR shrugs for now (Go to post)16-06-2011 @ 17:02 
Were members of his entourage standing around to applaud as he was arrested?
» A docs opinion (Go to post)04-06-2011 @ 18:39 
No problem whatsoever, unless the recommendation has something to do with whatever led to the perforation. Do you know the cause?
» Finished school, advice on what to or not to do ? (Go to post)27-05-2011 @ 13:49 
Post Edited: 27.05.2011 @ 13:49 PM by Doc_D
Depends on individual goals and aptitudes, and it is difficult to be sure of either of these areas at your age. My recommended route would be A-Levels then good uni. The choice of eventual university will probably be more important than the course (top unis don't tend to offer many or any of the courses viewed negatively by potential employers).
» Bodypower (Go to post)22-05-2011 @ 11:25 
Some great performances yesterday. Congratulations to all the lads for inspiring effort and commendable sportsmanship - a far better example for my kids to watch than prima donna footballers cheating and moaning. Bravo!
» Stiff, sore achilles tendons (Go to post)17-05-2011 @ 22:13 
doc77 said:
Well, my calves are not weak I dont think, but my ankles' stabilising ligaments definitely are.

You sure about calf strength? Here's a test. Take your shoes off, find a surface on which you can run without worrying about hurting your feet, and jog for half a mile or so (even less if you're not used to running). See how your calves feel. If they're fine the next day, you may be right, but the ability to calf raise huge weights does not necessarily mean that your calves (or your feet) are strong enough not to be overloading your achilles tendons through simple daily activities.
NB: try this barefoot experiment with caution. From my experience, you're more likely to hurt your calves than your feet at first. Going fully barefoot with virgin feet is an effective way of limiting how far you might try to run, whereas 'minimal' shoes will allow you to run further - and this might be more than your calves can take.
NB2: All the above just my opinion, albeit an empirically informed one!
» Stiff, sore achilles tendons (Go to post)17-05-2011 @ 16:06 
Tight and perhaps weak calves. Can't do much about the tendon, but you can about the muscle. Stronger and more flexible will always be good. I would recommend doing as much barefoot as you can (but don't neglect mobility work). If you walk a lot and have to wear shoes, get some which allow the foot to work properly (rather than which dictate to it what to do). IMHO, insoles and orthotics are the last thing that most people need (unless you are a podiatrist or similar who profits from selling them).
» The 156kg Clean and jerk. (Go to post)15-05-2011 @ 15:47 
Fantastic lift. Well done!
» Torn knee cartilage (meniscus) (Go to post)05-05-2011 @ 21:59 
martin said:
Would a tear cause direct pain alone?

COuld do, esp. if bits or swelling are interfering with other parts of the joint. But a tear could also cause next to no discomfort. The popping/clicking/catching symptom is supposed to be a pretty good indicator, but there are also other conditions which can mimic this to a decent extent.

Please NB that I am not a medical doctor, but have a modicum of knowledge and experience of knackered knees!

For the moment, best that you can really do is try to control any swelling and/or irritation. Ice massage, DMSO + other topical anti-inflams. I've personally found rest / immobilisation to do more harm than good for most of my own problems over the years, but this goes against usual advice!
» Torn knee cartilage (meniscus) (Go to post)04-05-2011 @ 21:57 
Martin - On what is the diagnosis based? There are so many things that can go wrong with knees (and so many 'false positives' for meniscus tears) that the symptoms alone reveal very little. Even pretty significant tears can be painless - really just irritating through clicking/popping/occasional locking. Manipulation and MRI can only give indications at best, even for experienced practitioners.

If it *is* a tear, chances of self-healing really aren't great - and age isn't on your side for this kind of resolution (or attempts at repair which don't involve some degree of excision).
» bleeding in the eye (Go to post)04-05-2011 @ 17:47 
kingham22 said:should i be worried ?

More seriously - not necessarily, but I'd be tempted to have BP checked, just in case. I had a training partner who started bleeding from his ears during leg press. Eyes were OK though. Still disturbing.
» bleeding in the eye (Go to post)04-05-2011 @ 17:44 
drew said:
What had your mum been doing?

She had been bitten by a zombie.
» Torn knee cartilage (meniscus) (Go to post)04-05-2011 @ 11:30 
Very variable. Some tears can be left as they cause such few problems; others require intervention. MRI is unreliable - only surgery can show. I enjoyed watching my menicsi (intact, fortunately) on large monitors during op.
» Leaning forward in the squat (Go to post)01-05-2011 @ 09:58 
This does not look like an atypical kind of raw squat given how close it probably is to your unequipped max (judging by how much you attribute to your suit etc.) Things can get a little messy when the weights get heavy, as the body naturally strives to hide weaknesses and capitalise on strengths.

Like Steve, I have no problem with forward lean per se, as long as it doesn't prevent reaching depth. This said, your lean seems to develop as you rise, and eventually seems to culminate in your upper torso collapsing (a potential prelude to the bar rolling over the head). Some of this might be technical, and might be resolved by keeping chest up and upper back tighter/elbows more forward and down - but it might also be that the strength to do this with this weight isn't there.

In addition to technique work with weights where form can be maintained, I'd be looking to strengthen glutes, 'abs'/core, and upper back. SSB squats would be nice. If you're planning on pursuing raw, I'd probably recommend pause squats over box squats - really working on driving chest and head up out of the hole, rather than arse first. I've never tried rounded back GMs, but I can see the logic. Hatfield back raises might be worth trying as well.

Hope that helps.
» An old, fat fool starts a log. Hope no-one minds (Go to post)20-04-2011 @ 16:30 
Wonderful squat.
» Chigs benching (Go to post)13-04-2011 @ 15:32 
Feet on the bench too. Bloody Hell!

12345678910 ... ... 2223242526272829303132

You are here: HomeForumDoc_D → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto